Author Topic: A.D. & B.C.  (Read 25016 times)

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« on: July 03, 2005, 01:25:35 pm »
I'm french so I have absolutly no idea what A.D. and B.C. and I jsut though about asking here, in french we sayd "# années avant/après Jesus Christ" that is translated to "# years before/after Jesus Christ", now I though BC was Before Christ but if it is, that mean that Chrono Trigger's people or christianist?

and I have no idea AD means, some can clear that up?

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 02:25:47 pm »
Shame on you lol,

Anno Domini in the year of our lord is A.D.
Before Christ is B.C. although there are many ways of saying before christ.  Like in Portuguese its Ante de Cristo, which makes it A.C...which doesnt make sense in English.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 02:45:06 pm »
ok so CT's world have a christ?

Radical Dreamer

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 03:33:42 pm »
Quote from: DarkGizmo
ok so CT's world have a christ?

haha.  :lol:
Good point! :)

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 03:44:26 pm »
Damn fine point, I must say.  Damn fine.

Technically, it should be B.G. for "Before Guardia", since the kingdom of Guardia started in 0 A.D., or you could still do B.C. and have it stand for "Before Civilization" or something like that.  A.D. is still Anno Domini, though.

~.C.S.~

Zatopek

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 04:10:03 pm »
It's unclear what role religion has in the Chrono Universe.  There's the dating system, and then the Cathedral and nuns in the Middle Ages, but that's about it...

It is true that Guardia was formed in 1 AD or whatever, so the datying system might be based around that, and writers/translators were too lazy to come up with alternatives to BC and AD or they just didn't care.

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 04:31:16 pm »
I don't think the writers we lazy so much as they wanted the gamer to associate 600 A.D. in Crono's world with 600 A.D. in ours.  By labelling the years "B.C." or "A.D." the gamers are consciously contrasting the two universes.  As an exmple, add 1500, say, to each of Chrono Trigger's years.  Wouldn't it seem silly to have the "middle ages" in the year 2100?  And doesn't having an apocalypse in 1999 beat having one in 3499?

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 06:47:49 pm »
Well the cathedral was filled with Mystic and the other one was a shrine for Fiona nothing real religious (except for the mystics praying Magus).

but it is kinda wierd seeing Gate and telepod in 1000 AD if it was labelled AD to comapore it with 1000 AD here where no such thing were even imagined then.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 09:32:59 pm »
I just think SE were too lazy and they just used the B.C and A.D from our real world instead of having to think of a year thing. Here are my ideas:

B.G: Before Guardia...as was said before btw
A.E: After Establishment...basically means after Guardia waz formed.

This whole thing basically says that Guardia are keeping recored of time.

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 09:57:16 pm »
I think Chrono Trigger has a religion based on Christianity, but if we were to speak of the "christ" then Crono would indeed be the Christ.  But B.C. would definately be B.G. as stated, because Guardia was established in 0 A.D.

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 10:06:14 pm »
Well, Anno Domini could work... The Year of our Lord, but the Lord in Question is the King of Guardia? Though for BC I have no idea.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 11:51:41 pm »
There's a thread on this somewhere...although it got somewhat derailed.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 12:34:06 am »
is it here, because I can't find it, if you know any detail could you point the good argument that went out of it?

B C -> Before Castle (Guardia) ? ahah!

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 03:43:52 am »
Yeah, there was a thread, but it got derailed into a large and tiresome religion argument.

At least symbolically, A.D. and B.C. can stand for nothing other than what we use it for.  The support for this line of reasoning comes primarily from etymological dissection of the script (references to a monotheistic God, etc.), the unedited Heaven element (Lightning in the American version, altered due to Nintendo's censorship) as well as something no one seemed to notice but is unreasonably prominent, which means a bunch of people need to see an eye doctor; the GIANT OMFG IMPOSSIBLE TO MISS pair of crosses on the doors of Manoria Cathedral in the PSX ending with Crono and Marle getting married.  The "Real World Influences" article is in error where it states that no crosses are present in the series, but so many other things go on here that it's a comparatively insignificant detail.  As someone on Chronicles pointed out, this may not in fact be Christianity as we know it, but rather a sort of clone of Christianity, such as the Diablo universe's religion of Zakarum; as one would expect from such a title, the story is situated around angels, demons, and thoroughly Western religious concepts.  The Church of Zakarum uses a gothic cross as its symbol and preaches the Visions of Akarat, the human incarnation of the Light (*coughJesusclonecough*).  Several of the obtainable pieces of Guardian armor and weaponry are distinctly Roman in appearance, as well, not to mention the image on their gold coins (extracted from the CT manual) -- unmistakably that of a Roman centurion.

In my experience with the subject, people seem to get pissed off at it because they assume that if A.D. and B.C. actually mean Anno Domini and Before Christ, then Christianity is fact in Chrono; this is a highly fallacious leap of logic often perpetrated by those who for one reason or another dislike Christianity, failing to realize the abundance of other religious influences in the series.  SquareEnix resides in Japan, after all, and in Japan less than 1% of the population is Christian; most are Buddhists, and several Eastern concepts, such as a living world, are present in the series, as well as several other Square games, most notably Final Fantasy VII.  Indeed, the contemporary B.C. & A.D. approach to Chrono would be flawless save for that statistic.  Even animes with decidedly Christian content, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, are not worked on by Christians; Hideaki Anno, the mastermind behind Eva, stated that none of the staff who worked on it were Christian.  Yet the series is replete with Christian imagery, including the Angels, Adam and Lilith, the Instrumentality Project, and the infamous cross-shaped explosions ensuing from Angel missiles, as well as the souls in End of Evangelion.  Coincidentally, the artistic-looking diagram shown in Eva's intro sequence is that of the Sephirotic System, aka the Tree of Life in Jewish Kabbalistic tradition.  

If you're thinking "OMFG SEPHIROTH" you're right.  Interestingly, I learned that before I ever actually played FF7.

In any case, we use this dating system in the real world, and a good many people don't think it's anything vaguely approaching factual; this has a high probability of being the case on Crono's Earth.  Why people sometimes fail to see this is puzzling.

As far as the writers being lazy, I highly doubt this, considering they put forth the time and effort to work out the main storyline.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
A.D. & B.C.
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 08:31:33 am »
Horii (Dragon Quest) and Toriyama (Dragon Ball) are one of the guys who created Chrono Trigger. I don't know what calendar they use in Dragon Quest, but the atmosphere is clearly inspired of Western Middle Age and Christianity and stuff (churches, crosses, priests, etc.).

The Dragon Ball series does use the A.D./B.C. calendar anyway. So maybe it comes from that (the money in CT was called Zeni in the Japanese version, Zeni being the money used in DB).