Author Topic: Which Chrono Cross Songs are Remakes of CT Songs?  (Read 2512 times)

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
Which Chrono Cross Songs are Remakes of CT Songs?
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:14:32 pm »
If I could get a list by any chance... That would be awesome.  :D

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Which Chrono Cross Songs are Remakes of CT Songs?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:25:07 am »
Making a quick reminding...

Lucca's Theme became the Victory Fanfare.
1000 AD Overworld became the Home World Overworld.

That's all I got. :|

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:23:27 am »
Do you want to know which songs are direct remakes of Chrono Trigger songs, or do you want to know which songs feature reprises/homages of Chrono Trigger songs? Because there are only a couple songs that are outright remakes, but a whole ton that feature passages or musical nods to Trigger.

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:47 pm »
104 Field of Time -Home World- features the main theme of Chrono Trigger.
107 On the Shores of a Dream -Another World- features the main theme of Radical Dreamers.
115 Snakebone Mansion is a remake of the theme of Lynx's mansion from Radical Dreamers.
116 Victory -Gift of Spring- is a remake of Lucca's Theme from Chrono Trigger.
211 Chronomantique features the main theme of Chrono Trigger.
220 Gale is a remake of the battle theme from Radical Dreamers.
221 Victory -A Cry in Summer- is a remake of Lucca's Theme from Chrono Trigger.
306 The Girl Who Stole the Stars is a remake of Kid's theme from Radical Dreamers.
307 The Dream that Time Dreams features the both the main theme of Radical Dreamers and the main theme of Chrono Trigger.
310 Frozen Flame is a remake of the Frozen Flame theme from Radical Dreamers.

Hope that helps.

...but a whole ton that feature passages or musical nods to Trigger.
I disagree with this. There's very little beyond what I listed above that suggests even slight references to Trigger. You must be hearing things. :)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 11:09:33 pm »
Yes, I was a bit blunt wasn't I. ;)

Magusmage

• Porrean (+50)
  • "I didn't create Lavos, just called him...I think"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:35:13 pm »
I heard the "Dead Sea" (Chrono Cross) song. It's piano (I think it is a piano) melody remembers a lot the "Bealthasar"'s Chrono Trigger Song.

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 11:55:32 pm »
^ Only the three first notes xD

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 02:20:24 pm »
I disagree with this. There's very little beyond what I listed above that suggests even slight references to Trigger. You must be hearing things. :)

Check out the "Musical Nod" entry under this page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChronoCross
Compiled by yours truly.

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 09:42:36 pm »

*  The opening theme, "Scars of Time", contains a passage reminiscent of part of the opening theme for Trigger;
Where?

* The theme for the Earth Dragon's Isle contains passages from the Lavos Core boss theme in Trigger which is perhaps a subtle hint as to the Dragons' ultimate fate;
That's a pretty big stretch. You're referring to the four chords that modulate and repeat. By including this passage as a "musical nod" you must believe Mitsuda consciously did this? It's a pretty simple progression, and the particular stepwise modulation used is pretty common in his music.

* The Dragon God's boss theme contains nods to the Millennial Fair theme from Trigger;
No.

* "Jellyfish Sea" contains a brief portion taken from "Epilogue" in ''Radical Dreamers";
I won't argue with you on this one because the slow, floating chords with an unquantized guitar melody is indeed similar in construction to Jellyfish Sea. However, this is more attributable to the composer's style, and there's nothing evident in either track to suggest one is a "nod" to another.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:49:50 am »

*  The opening theme, "Scars of Time", contains a passage reminiscent of part of the opening theme for Trigger;
Where?

Hmm, if there's really one, I think that is the part after 1:32.
But, hardly.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 05:36:26 am »

* The theme for the Earth Dragon's Isle contains passages from the Lavos Core boss theme in Trigger which is perhaps a subtle hint as to the Dragons' ultimate fate;
That's a pretty big stretch. You're referring to the four chords that modulate and repeat. By including this passage as a "musical nod" you must believe Mitsuda consciously did this? It's a pretty simple progression, and the particular stepwise modulation used is pretty common in his music.

Long before I ever found the Compendium, when Chrono Cross first came out, I noticed immediately that the Earth Dragon Isle theme was a remake of the final battle theme from Chrono Trigger (there is a chime instrument that also somewhat matches a harmony from the final battle music, and also, if I recall correctly, it's more than four chords that match in the main melody). I wondered what it meant about the Dragons at the time. Perhaps it was unintentional, but I can't be the only other person who interpreted the music as a clue!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 02:27:42 pm »
I went back and listened to Earth Dragon's Island. If you're listening to the official soundtrack, at about 0:32 the main melody of the song begins - and several notes indeed match World Revolution. I never noticed the connection until now. They're incredibly different, overall, and I'm not sure whether to call it an "echo" of Word Revolution or coincidence.

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 02:33:35 pm »
It's a coincidence, really. In my last post I addressed the "notes" you hear--their just the leading tones in the chord progression. It's a common progression, and the modulation is common to Mitsuda's style.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 03:22:06 pm »
It's also possible that Mitsuda was getting lazy or thought he could be clever by reusing music.
I accidentally do it once in a while, where I'm working on a riff, but it's not quiiiite right. Then suddenly, it comes to me in a flash! It's catchy! It's wonderful! It's perfect!
It's... already a song. (Extra points if it's already a song I wrote)