Author Topic: *When* is the Entity's consciousness?  (Read 10732 times)

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
*When* is the Entity's consciousness?
« on: July 01, 2005, 08:24:43 pm »
The Entity clearly wishes to change the course of history.  But how much of history has the Entity experienced?  Is the Entity's consciousness in Crono's time (meaning that the Day of Lavos is just the probable future)?  Or is the Entity's consciousness actually in Crono's future, years after the day of Lavos?

This may seem like a trivial question, but it isn't.  If the present for the Entity is 1000 A.D., then the Entity has a motive to alter the past:  to avoid the Day of Lavos.  However, if the Entity's consciousness is actually in Crono's future, why would the entity even bother to send Crono on his journey?  Wouldn't Crono just save an alternate timeline and, in doing so, send the Entity's consciousness to the DBT?  Now, before someone argues that the Entity's consciousness transcends all timelines, let me ask this:  Why is the Entity so eager to save Crono's timeline if there are bound to be many others (an infinite number perhaps) that are satisfactory to the Entity?

I have a follow-up question, too.  It seems to me that the Entity is capable of doing more than just creating time gates.  For instance, the consensus here is that the Entity is responsible for Marle's temporary disappearance in 600 A.D.  But if the Entity has that power, why not send Queen Zeal and the Gurus to that demension and avoid the Day of Lavos altogether?

Forgive me if these issues have already been discussed and resolved; I am new to the Chrono Compendium.

~ Sir Frog (aka dacb1984)

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Re: *When* is the Entity's consciousness?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 09:45:33 pm »
Quote from: Sir Frog

I have a follow-up question, too.  It seems to me that the Entity is capable of doing more than just creating time gates.  For instance, the consensus here is that the Entity is responsible for Marle's temporary disappearance in 600 A.D.  But if the Entity has that power, why not send Queen Zeal and the Gurus to that demension and avoid the Day of Lavos altogether?

Well my guess is that if the Entity had that power there would be no CT or CC, or it would be some kind of harvest moon (without actual interesting story) so, I assume that the Entity has no power over Lavos and that Lavos, who altered the human process of evolution made the human somewhat "immune" to the entity's power, so it had to use subtle event so human could get to save the planet.

For When, I have no idea, never though of that before, I though it trancended time

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 11:16:46 pm »
The entity would exist in the future, past the day of Lavos.  It would be trying to change the past, so that the day of lavos would not happen.  Would the entity be sent to the DBT when time is changed?  Yes, a version of it would be.  But there would still be a version of the entity that was not.

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 02:04:44 am »
That's the response I feared.  Doesn't that strike you as...lame?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 04:18:29 am »
Lame...?  How so?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: *When* is the Entity's consciousness?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 10:44:28 am »
Now, before someone argues that the Entity's consciousness transcends all timelines, let me ask this:  Why is the Entity so eager to save Crono's timeline if there are bound to be many others (an infinite number perhaps) that are satisfactory to the Entity?

Well, it doesn't have to transcend all timelines, just the game timeline (Lavos Timeline and Keystone). Gaspar for example does transcend the timeline without having access to other timelines, and he did witness both the ruined future and the future that Crono created.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 08:45:26 pm »
Yeah, sometime in the future the Entity is dead/about to die/knows it's going to die...So it begins to start the events that occur to Crono in the new Chrono Trigger timeline.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 05:46:46 am »
My guess is that the Entity operates on a different progression of time than we perceive, such as that of the actual progression from timeline to timeline.  I wonder what exactly you'd call that?

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 05:58:59 am »
My guess is that the Entity operates on a different progression of time than we perceive, such as that of the actual progression from timeline to timeline. I wonder what exactly you'd call that?

I call it hypertime.  (See my "conceptual framework" thread on the Time board--when it's ready, that is!) Of course, I don't claim to have come up with the name.  I believe the term is used in the Superman universe to explain a bunch of discrepencies.

But as far as hypertime is concerned in the Chronoverse, well, give me some time to write down my thoughts.  And then check in on the aforementioned thread.

Rufus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • TheInfantCannon
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 02:31:41 pm »
For instance, the consensus here is that the Entity is responsible for Marle's temporary disappearance in 600 A.D. But if the Entity has that power, why not send Queen Zeal and the Gurus to that demension and avoid the Day of Lavos altogether?

I think Lavos interferes with the Entity's control, limits it's power.  The Entity, if it was responsible for this at all, could make the Queen's disappearance look like the cause of Marle's disappearance, thus being able to...  "slip it by" Lavos.

I also think Marle went to the Darkness Beyond Time in her disappearance anyway - the Entity didn't have much say in it.

Assassin of Time

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 01:59:53 am »
I kind of like to think of the Entity as an instigator, if you will. Obviously *it* is powerful, but I like to think that it just didn't want to get it's hands dirty in order to save the future, so it kind of set up the events for Crono to do it.

Ryuusai

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 11:40:33 am »
Maybe the Entity's power is weakened as the game goes on with all the gates it created.  That still doesn't really answer anything though...  So maybe Lavos was protecting the Queen too prevent the Entity from getting rid of her.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 11:59:46 am »
Hmm, in case you didn't notice the Entity was DYING in the Lavos Timeline. The 400 year reunion hints towards it. Let's see if I can give you guys a qoute of what they say... Ah, here.

Robo: After 400 years of experience, I have come to think that Lavos may not
be responsible for the Gates.

Marle: What do you mean?

Robo: I have come to think that someone, or something wanted us to see all
this.  The different events over time, that we have witnessed.  It is almost
as if some entity wanted to relive its past.

Ayla: Ayla know!  When people die, elders say, see whole life pass by!

Frog: 'Tis true that mortals do relive their most profound memories before
death claimeth them.  Yet those memories most often are sad ones.  

Robo: Thinking things like "If only I had done this," or "I shouldn't have
done that..." triggers unpleasant, old memories.

Marle: Will that happen when our time comes?

Lucca: Probably... who knows?

Marle: Is there a point in time you'd want to return to, Lucca?

Lucca: No... not really...

Marle: I'm sorry, was that something I shouldn't have asked?

Lucca: It's ok, it's just something I don't like to think about too much.

Frog: Lavos playeth an integral role in the fortunes of this Entity...

Magus: So who is this Entity?

Robo: It is unknown, whose memories these are.  It may be something beyond our
comprehension.  Our journey may come to an end when we finally discover the
identify of the Entity.  Shall we turn in for the night?

They constantly discuss about seeing your whole life pass by. The entity just needs to focus on a certain memory... And viola, we have a Gate!

Ryuusai

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 12:07:49 pm »
True.  So if the future is changed does that mean the Entity isn't dying any more or does it still die?

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 12:10:34 pm »
In the future, if the Time Devourer is unleashed, the Entity doesn't have a chance to go into a dying mode, it ceases to exist. Thus, no gates. The Dimensionel Distortions on Opassa Beach are there simpley because it was where the Dimensions split... How can I explain this?

Imagine there are like strings holding the dimensions together. On Opassa Beach, the strings are weaker, making it possible to cross the dimensions. Same for the Dead Sea\Sea of Eden, the Time Crash weakened the the "strings" there.