Author Topic: "Epoch Launch" 3D Desktop Wallpaper  (Read 3848 times)

fantasyanime_guy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fantasyanime.com
"Epoch Launch" 3D Desktop Wallpaper
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »
Phew! This took me like a month to make. Ya know that official art with Crono standing in front of the Epoch? This one:

I recreated it in 3D! Here it is:

<-- click me
That above thumbnail leads to a 1280x800 version. However, I have versions for 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, and 1920x1200 in my Chrono Trigger wallpapers page: http://www.fantasyanime.com/squaresoft/ctpapers.htm

I made it using Blender (free & open source!), Illustrator, and Photoshop. Here's how I compiled this - First I traced over Crono in Illustrator:

<-- click me

Why Illustrator instead of modeling a real Crono in 3D? Well, I didn't feel like it. =P Modeling anything organic in 3D takes FOREVER. Plus I thought vector-Crono would make this art project look more authentic. So with Crono finished in Illustrator, I went on to Blender to model the full scene:

<-- click me

Upon completion, I split it up into 5 different layers, as so:

<-- click me

I did this because the lighting in Squaresoft's art is unnatural and impossible to reproduce within Blender with my current level of skill (or maybe it's not possible?). Anyhow, having everything in layers makes recreating the light an easy task in Photoshop. So with the layers in hand, I produced this in Photoshop:

<-- click me
So through 17 layers I achieved my Epoch Launch desktop wallpaper! :) I hope you like it!

*You have my permission to copy or redistribute this wallpaper, just as long as you credit my fantasyanime.com site. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:26:36 pm by fantasyanime_guy »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: "Epoch Launch" 3D Desktop Wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:26:18 pm »
 :shock:

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:56:07 pm »
What!?
It is unbelievable good.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:03:26 pm »
 :shock: Frickin' Sweet! I have done so little in 3D, i remember it was so difficult (at least for my poor skills  :lol:). The screenshots of the process are impressive. I like how the perspective is a little bit different from the original picture, it makes the scenary look more imposing.

I was going to ask for a bigger resolution, but then I noticed your link  :P Now this is the wallpaper of the mac I use in my office, yeah!

fantasyanime_guy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:29:56 pm »
Thank you thank you :D

Licawolf: You should give 3D another try! Blender is daunting at first, but once you get your head around it, it's actually very easy. Like 80% of my wallpaper is simply just cubes and cylinders stretched out. Plus Blender is available on Mac! Check out these links:

• TUTORIALS
Blender 3D: Noob to Pro - The #1 tutorial resource for Blender.
Blender 3D Tutorial Links List - An excellent collection of tutorial links.
Blender 3D Architect - Architect-related tutorials for modeling buildings in Blender.
• FREE OBJECTS
Blender Greenhouse - A collection of trees and various plants for usage in Blender.
• UTILITIES
ngPlant - An excellent plant modeling utility. It can export to Blender. (Windows only)
• TEXTURES
MapZone - An awesome free program that generates realistic textures. (Windows only)
Wood Workshop - An awesome free program that generates realistic wood textures. (Windows only)

And I recommend this book: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 8)

Edit: Oh, and Blender can produce Pixar quality animation. Check this out - Buck Bunny @YouTube
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:34:04 pm by fantasyanime_guy »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:25:49 pm »
PURE, UNDILUTED AWESOMENESS!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:17:44 pm »
Wow! You have some real drive and talent, there! And looks like you're super organized about everything as well. You automatically rule!

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:17:40 pm »
You should give 3D another try! Blender is daunting at first, but once you get your head around it, it's actually very easy. Like 80% of my wallpaper is simply just cubes and cylinders stretched out. Plus Blender is available on Mac! Check out these links:

• TUTORIALS
Blender 3D: Noob to Pro - The #1 tutorial resource for Blender.
Blender 3D Tutorial Links List - An excellent collection of tutorial links.
Blender 3D Architect - Architect-related tutorials for modeling buildings in Blender.
• FREE OBJECTS
Blender Greenhouse - A collection of trees and various plants for usage in Blender.
• UTILITIES
ngPlant - An excellent plant modeling utility. It can export to Blender. (Windows only)
• TEXTURES
MapZone - An awesome free program that generates realistic textures. (Windows only)
Wood Workshop - An awesome free program that generates realistic wood textures. (Windows only)

And I recommend this book: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 8)

Edit: Oh, and Blender can produce Pixar quality animation. Check this out - Buck Bunny @YouTube

I have been thinking on giving 3D another try, I'm a graphic designer/illustrator and the industry is definately moving in that direction, I need to get up to date.  Blender does sound like a good option, it's open source AND available on mac? excellent! Thanks for pointing me at the right direction to start with those tutorials and resources, I'll definatelly check them all out.  8)

That bunny animation is seriously impresive, I would have thought it was done on Maya  :shock:

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 07:01:38 am »
 :D

So goddamned impressed and inspired!

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:31:36 am »
I am impressed.  I am difficult to impress.  Some of the wallpapers on the page you linked to are clearly not your artwork; others I'm not sure about.  Could you clarify which ones are wholly your work?

fantasyanime_guy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »
@hiddensquire: Thanks. :) Well, consider the page I linked to a regular 'ol fansite wallpapers page rather than a showcase of my art. I can't really call any of that my art since it's either based on official art or stuff submitted to me. Alternately, I have my art here. My other 3D art isn't as nice as this - I just recently reached this level of quality, lol. It takes years of practice. And this article helped me A LOT with my Photoshop phase.