Author Topic: Breaking Down the Doors of Destiny, Vol. 1: Outreach to Mitsuda  (Read 12690 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Breaking Down the Doors of Destiny, Vol. 1: Outreach to Mitsuda
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:16:27 am »
Yo, everyone! While you're still taking in the massive collection of fanwork assembled in the latest Mega Updates, drop Magus22 and justinstcharles some feedback in this news thread -- they're gathering questions from the community to ask Yasunori Mitsuda next time they try contacting him. If anyone can do this, they can, since they've had contact with Mitsuda's assistants (in Magus22's case) and with THE MAN himself (in justinstcharles' case).

Hey, with an iron will and a little Tweet, anything can happen these days!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Breaking Down the Doors of Destiny, Vol. 1: Outreach to Mitsuda
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:03 pm »
There's got to be some crossover in the Priority Questions for Masato Kato thread, right? Maybe ask if there's any plans of teaming up with Kato again? World Destruction/Sands of Destruction was their last game together, right?

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:14:16 pm »
Thanks Faust!

There's got to be some crossover in the Priority Questions for Masato Kato thread, right?

I had gone through every page of that thread V - not anything for Mitsuda sadly :|

Perhaps we should also decide on what type of questions to ask, such as...

[Generic] What was the first instrument you ever played and do you still enjoy it today?

-OR-

[GAME] Would you still be interested in scoring the music for a new Chrono game or re-release?

...or we could possibly do a mix of the two, so on and so forth.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:11 pm »
I hate to be a pessimist but I don't think we'll get much useful information about future activity or plans for new Chrono games. Anyone who works under contract is typically bound to NOT reveal those kind of secrets.

I'd suggest concentrating on questions that would clear up issues of debate in canon or maybe where ideas came from, that kind of thing. Or questions that have the maximum value for the Compendium specifically.

Stuff like "What was your first instrument" would be kind of cool to get a reply, but wouldn't be very useful to the Compendium.

Just some thoughts.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:42:39 pm »
What could we ask about the Chrono Cross Arrange album?

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Echoes of the Algorithms
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:45:23 am »
Mr. Mitsuda - How nervous were you having Nobuo Uematsu watch your every move while you composed the music for Chrono Trigger? Did this effect your process negatively or positively, if any?

For those of you who dont know, Nobuo Uematsu is a composer which is best known for scoring the majority of titles in the Final Fantasy series. He was instructed to keep close watch on Mr. Mitsuda.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:44:13 am »
I hate to be a pessimist but I don't think we'll get much useful information about future activity or plans for new Chrono games. Anyone who works under contract is typically bound to NOT reveal those kind of secrets.

I'd suggest concentrating on questions that would clear up issues of debate in canon or maybe where ideas came from, that kind of thing. Or questions that have the maximum value for the Compendium specifically.

Stuff like "What was your first instrument" would be kind of cool to get a reply, but wouldn't be very useful to the Compendium.

Just some thoughts.

I don't expect Mitsuda to have answers relating to a new Chrono game. We can save that for Kato (if and when the time comes). But I understand where you're coming from Bekkler.

Justin's question, for example, is superb. I think Mitsuda would have fun looking back on those days. Simple questions for Mitsuda are perfectly alright too, nothing too complicated or complex where he may have to spend an extended period of time thinking about it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 03:23:24 pm »
Mr. Mitsuda - How nervous were you having Nobuo Uematsu watch your every move while you composed the music for Chrono Trigger? Did this effect your process negatively or positively, if any?

For those of you who dont know, Nobuo Uematsu is a composer which is best known for scoring the majority of titles in the Final Fantasy series. He was instructed to keep close watch on Mr. Mitsuda.

Yeah, but wasn't he sick or something which was why Mitsuda ended up doing most of the music (and yet somehow wasn't a part of the "Dream Team")?

Maybe ask who would be on his own personal Dream Team?

justinstcharlesmusic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Echoes of the Algorithms
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:27:32 pm »
He wasn't sick. Mr. Mitsuda was given an opportunity to score the game after he demanded it of Squaresoft. He was placed under careful watch because they were uncertain how he would perform. He later cried with tears of success because he proved his worth.

As for the dreamteam thing, perhaps that could be your own potential question.

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:21:08 pm »
I would ask, what are his favorite artists from jazz and world musics?

yea, not very relevant to the compendium, but I've got nothing lol. maybe ask him his philosophy on battle and boss battle themes perhaps...since he's always been so radically different from other JRPG composers in that regard.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:50:15 am »
Yeah, it was the other way around. Mitsuda got sick after composing most of the game (stomach ulcer), so Uematsu had to come in and do a handful of tracks.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:32:46 am »
1up did an interview with him back in 2008.

http://www.1up.com/features/radical-dreamer?pager.offset=3

This is the last page (out of 4) that talks about him and Kato. Overall, some good questions are asked, but very brief responses given (obviously).

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 04:34:19 am »
Did some thinking and some surfin...

Feel free to add and/or modify to these! Feedback, critique, and add-ons are welcomed!

General questions

How did you get started in the music business? What are your roots?

How has your music evolved since you first began playing/producing music?

What are your rehearsals generally like? Do you have a set time each week in which you practice or are rehearsals more spontaneous?

Could you briefly describe the music-making process?

Who are your musical influences? Who were you musically inspired by?

What are your future music career goals in the next 5 years?

How did you decide on your name (Procyon Studio)?

Where have you performed? What are your favorite and least favorite venues? Do you have any upcoming shows?

Where would you love to perform and why?

Is there anyone you would like to write a song with or collaborate with in the future?

What advice would you give to young musicians today?

Fun questions

Do you have a girlfriend? (laughs)

Do you have a crush on any celebrities? (laughs)

Pathway questions to Kato

Thank you so much for your time Mr. Mitsuda! Our fan site has also tried hard to get in contact with your good friend, Masato Kato, over the many years. Have you conversed with him recently?

How is Masato Kato doing these days? Do you believe Mr. Kato would take part in a short interview?

Mr. Mitsuda, our Chrono Compendium has also desired to interview your friend Masato Kato. Would he be willing to answer some brief questions too?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:40:27 am by Magus22 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:05 am »
I'd be tempted to argue against the Fun Questions on grounds that might put him off if he prefers not to get into that sort of thing; that isn't to say I'm not morbidly curious about those questions though... :wink:

I really like the general questions. We might rephrase the first one to specify that we're looking for his pre-Chrono Trigger experiences, since he's already described that experience at some length in previous interviews.

A question or two about Chrono Cross Arrange and Xenogears Arrange seem necessary, but I'm not sure what to ask -- hopefully the resident musicians and super Mitsuda buffs will have something in mind for that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:00:03 pm by FaustWolf »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:46:08 pm »
well for me, since he did real instrumentalists for MYTH, whether or not the cross arrange will be sampled or real people.