Enhasa Halls - Chrono Series Analysis > Other Topics and the Prerelease

Extrapolations for Chrono Break

(1/7) > >>

Thought:
We knew almost nothing about the canceled third canonical game of the series except its name (actually, I think that was the only thing we knew); however, not much has been said about that so I thought I’d go ahead and throw the obvious out there. The title of the game reveals to us an item and its guiding concept.

In Chrono Trigger there was the titular item, which could be used to save Crono. Same with in Chrono Cross, except this time to save Schala. Given this pattern, it seems likely that in the third game there would have been a Chrono Break item that could have been employed to save someone.

The guiding concept of each game, however, is also revealed in the title. In Chrono Trigger the party focuses on an end goal of triggering a change to the timeline (and thus the use of the Chrono Trigger to save Crono is an analogy in minor of this). In Chrono Cross, there is a focus on crossing between dimensions and eventually crossing them into a single unified whole (and the formation of the Chrono Cross itself hints at the eventual ideal outcome of the game, the merging of the two dimensions). In short, “Trigger” and “Cross” can be understood as both noun and verb, both object within the game and an action within the game. Thus is seems likely that Chrono Break would have been the same: a “break” as an item and a “break” as an action.

At this point this modest speculation, however, would have to degrade into wild speculation to really go any further. But to offer a singular possibility, since a trigger is the start of something, and a crossing indicates continuation, it seems that a break would be the cessation of that. What would get “stopped” in the is utterly unknown, but given Lavos’ appearance in the first two games, it seems likely that he would be the threat that finally ends (though I have no idea how it would have made a comeback yet again to be broken).

Mr Bekkler:
When I think of a timeline breaking, I think about things happening in a convoluted and unnatural order. Like (to an extent) Benjamin Button maybe, time reversing while perception remains linear, which I think would be a clean and quick way for Lavos to come back into the mix, perhaps as a Death Devourer or some other sort of new incarnation.

utunnels:
Good theory.

It would be better if Lavos never comes back, again. LOL
Perhaps human versus human is a better idea, for example, Dalton can replace Blethasar to be the main antagonist.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
Wait. Belthasar was a protagonist?  :o

Thought:
Just to empahsise, I think everything I am about to say reaches that "wild speculation" level. Which is to say, it is probably all bunk.

@ Bekkler: aye. Personally I figure that if Break had been made, it would have involved a breakdown of the timeline in general. While the TD threatened to consume Space-Time, it seemed like this would have been a collapse of the entire structure. Sort of like the White Light in the 5th season of the new Dr. Who: it wouldn't just kill things, it would stop them from having ever been.

@ utunnels: I suspect if a CB game had been made, they would have essentially pulled another CC. Which is to say, while Lavos would have been included, it wouldn't be clear main enemy. As Bekkler suggested, it might be that if the game focused on an unstable universe (for lack of a better word to get at temporal and dimensional breakdowns), then just as the game is getting resolved our old screechy pal pops out of nothingness to attempt to get one more stab at killing everything. But I suspect "human v human" would be the main focus of the game. Or, at least, human-like beings v human-like beings (starky may have been a hint that they were thinking about expanding the "world" in which the game was played to include a galactic scale). Though Dalton as an antagonist would probably be more for an interquel than a sequel. Just like they'd probably give us a new cast, I'd think the main villains would be largely different as well.

@ Boo: Belthasar was a punk. I'm not sure he counts as an antagonist, protagonist, or just a reagent, or if he can even be so classified. Well, he's f-ing insane, but beyond that, who knows...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version