Author Topic: [10000] Rip the complete English, Japanese, and French scripts of CT DS  (Read 31454 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
God, it brings tears of sadness and frustrated pain to my eyes to think about putting them together in a spreadsheet, but yeah, we need to finish the CT DS script. The first step is getting all of it properly ripped.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: [10000] Rip the complete English, Japanese, and French scripts of CT DS
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:43:12 pm »
This makes me wonder what, if any, legitimate differences there are between the French and English versions.

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:32 pm »
No idea but the DS is retranslated from the SNES and PS version

I can do the English and probably get it translated but does this require scripting for EVERY character in every scenerio? How about NPCs (i.e Townsfolk. Obviously Schala, Zeal, Ozzie, etc. is apart of the script) ?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:56:58 pm »
Oh, I mean, this'll really just get accomplished through some kind of DS utility. It probably would have been done by now if the C&D hadn't killed that kind of thing at the Compendium. It'll extract the entire script for us, so the main pain for me will just be putting them all in order in a huge spreadsheet. It's something I'm intimately familiar with, of course.

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:58:00 pm »
Oh, I mean, this'll really just get accomplished through some kind of DS utility. It probably would have been done by now if the C&D hadn't killed that kind of thing at the Compendium. It'll extract the entire script for us, so the main pain for me will just be putting them all in order in a huge spreadsheet. It's something I'm intimately familiar with, of course.
Sadly I don't have one of those :\

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:07:22 am »
Hey guys, I think I've found something for this...

http://whivel.altervista.org/project.php?ref=chronotranslator

This program has a built-in text dumper. With this, we can get all the text.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:55:54 am »
Hey guys, I think I've found something for this...

http://whivel.altervista.org/project.php?ref=chronotranslator

This program has a built-in text dumper. With this, we can get all the text.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA

FUCKING

BEAUTIFUL

I'M REALLY TIRED AND I SUSPECT VEHEK ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THAT PROBABLY BUT IF THERE ARE NO OBJECTIONS YOU GET A TON OF BOUNTY POINTS

Just tested and it works, but I don't have a European ROM! Can someone grab that app and test it on the European ROM so we can figure out whether French works?

Also, Japanese predictably comes out like this:

[@ITEM 6 (JP) ]
{36}{15}{C2}{AA}{33}{53}{2E}{18}{30}{C3}{8D}{33}{40}{66}{1E}
{6E}{3F}{59}{36}{15}{C3}{95}{C7}{9A}{32}{C3}{9E}{C6}{80}{C2}{91}{2E}
{70}{C2}{99}{1E}{7D}{38}{48}{24}{69}{30}{C3}{83}{35}{3C}{5A}{30}{1B}\0

Vehek or someone, is there some kind of program that can be written to replace all {#} with the correct Japanese characters? I imagine we might have to do it for some special characters in French, too.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:28:54 am »
Also, Japanese predictably comes out like this:

[@ITEM 6 (JP) ]
{36}{15}{C2}{AA}{33}{53}{2E}{18}{30}{C3}{8D}{33}{40}{66}{1E}
{6E}{3F}{59}{36}{15}{C3}{95}{C7}{9A}{32}{C3}{9E}{C6}{80}{C2}{91}{2E}
{70}{C2}{99}{1E}{7D}{38}{48}{24}{69}{30}{C3}{83}{35}{3C}{5A}{30}{1B}\0

Vehek or someone, is there some kind of program that can be written to replace all {#} with the correct Japanese characters? I imagine we might have to do it for some special characters in French, too.

The difficult part is likely to be figuring out which number corresponds to what Japanese character so that we can construct a mapping table (French will be easier in that regard, since only the characters with accents, dieresises, or cedilles should be messed up there--that table I should be able to construct if I have a large enough sample of the French text). Given the mapping table, it should be possible to tinker together something that takes {hex} like the above and spits out, say, UTF-8, in no more than a few hours.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 10:28:05 am »
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,8029.msg125500.html#msg125500

Maybe someone can make a character table? Sorry my proxy failed to connect to photobucket (or the links are just dead).

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 11:11:26 am »
If that is the mapping for the dialogue font, things should be fairly straightforward (it's only kana, romanji, and some symbols, which will yield a table not much longer than the one for the Cross relative alphabet). Unfortunately, my guess is that the actual Japanese dialogue font is that butt-ugly monster with all the kanji on the next page of that thread, which means that those kanji are going to have to be examined to see if they're in any kind of standard order. If they aren't, each is going to have to be ID'd individually.

It's possible that, in order to obtain the entire script, we are going to have to map both character sets.

I'll try to compare the stuff in that thread to SHIFT-JIS and UTF-8 character orders later today (assuming that I can find that information--I know I used to have it for SHIFT-JIS) and see if there are any commonalities.

Update: I am now 98% certain that the order of the kanji in that one font is completely random, just like the rest of the characters in it (no major encoding that I can find places 人 王 山 一 near the front in that order, with or without other stuff in between). Gack. I hope that isn't the one we need.

Another update: I should have read the thread utunnels linked more carefully, as there is a conversion table already posted there that appears to cover the dog's-breakfast-kanji font. If it's accurate, it will make things a lot easier.

(Is it safe to be discussing this here? It isn't quite hacking, but we're dancing kind of close to the edge...)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:38:32 pm by alfadorredux »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:28:58 am »
Whatever, we can always try another place.
 :evil:

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:46:28 pm »
Haha, scripts are too important for the cause, as they say. Full steam ahead.  :kamina

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 04:16:52 pm »
Okay, then. Further information: The kanji table appears to have been created by our very own Vehek, and is, alas, only partial, covering maybe 50% of the glyphs in the font. That means that Vehek may be able to at least confirm whether or not this is the dialogue font. We'll have to wait for him to post.

If we do need this font and Vehek hasn't done any more work on it, I'll post the partial table and a marked-up image of the font, and see if we can crowdsource the remaining glyph IDs--unless someone else has a better idea.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »
I'M REALLY TIRED AND I SUSPECT VEHEK ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THAT PROBABLY BUT IF THERE ARE NO OBJECTIONS YOU GET A TON OF BOUNTY POINTS
I didn't know. :oops: In fact, I was trying to see if I could make something that would take a list and use it to arrange dialog.

That means that Vehek may be able to at least confirm whether or not this is the dialogue font. We'll have to wait for him to post.
The big sheet is the font in the Japanese version. I don't really know Japanese, but really, they wouldn't have gotten rid of all the kanji in the Japanese release.

Where do you want me to put what I have?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:53:08 pm by Vehek »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:48 pm »
If you've done any work on the table since that RHDN post of March 6, 2009, stuff it in an attachment or something and I'll see about working my way forward from there. Given the complete table, constructing a Perl {hex} to kanji mapper should be easy--it's the kind of operation Perl is really good at.