Author Topic: Grey's How to draw thread. presented by toyota.  (Read 3982 times)

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
Grey's How to draw thread. presented by toyota.
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:52:05 pm »
So you got a itch to draw something from chrono? How about Crono himself? Well, okay, that's great. but you have no clue how to draw without it look like a pile of shit.

Old Grey's here to help.

What yer gonna need: Paper, and a pencil. doesn't fucking matter the type of pencil or paper. Really. just get something. binder paper, I don't care. as long as you can see your goddamn lines. Goddamn.

The second thing you're going to need is patience. It took me forever to learn how to not suck, it's gonna take you forever too. But you'll learn kids.

Alright while you guys are using paper and pencil, ole' grey here is gonna use photoshop. Why? because it's like 400 dollars and I'm going to get mileage out of this damn thing.

alright so my setup is at 2.5 x 3.5 inches at 300 pixel per square inch. It's small, but I like drawing small.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fiddle with the controls on your own time, let's get started drawing heads.
And since this is the Chrono Compendium, Let's draw my girl Kid's head. :D

Right so you got your paper and pencil ready and you're like, crap, where do I even start, the whole thing is complicated. Well, start with a circle. No really. Draw a circle. Doesn't have to be pretty, you're a beginner. Just remember to make it light enough to draw darker lines over it. Make sure you have room to add other things, too: Kid isn't just a circle after all.  When you're done, it should look like this:

Got the circle? good. now draw down the middle, and pull it out a little past half a circle outside said circle. This will be the guide for the chin and jaw. When you're finished, draw lines from the bottom point of the line, and pull them out to the till they reach the circle. They should end up looking like a V. they shouldn't reach to the middle of the circle: that means you've gone narrow. The wider the V the more childlike the face is, and Kid's face is childish in design. It should look like this when you're done.

My picture is off center, so it's a little different, no worries.
Alright so we have our guides set. Good job. Time to start defining! the cheek and chin are easy to define: it's all about hard and soft triangles. what do I mean? well let's look.

Notice it yet? Using the guides, draw an arch from one end to the other. The sharpness of the arch and it's placement and the length of the guide determine the chin. a sharper chin can be made with high, sharper arches, or even straight lines. for now, just draw very basic one using the guides. We'll get to a sharper chin some other time.

You may have noticed I darked a piece of the circle, that because I'm using the off center view, and so, need to define the forehead a little. Basically, simply darken the side of the head and attach it to the chin. No sharp lines here.

So now that we have our chin done. Go ahead and add some ears. Start at the top of the chin, and draw 2/3 of a oval. Once your down, draw the same thing on the other side, make sure their roughly the same size: you'll be using these as guides shortly. If you're doing an angel, on your head, use the lead ear and from the connecting points, draw a guide following the curve of the head.

Alright using the ears, make the guides for your eyes across the face. the cent of the face is for the nose, so make a box for it. on either side of the box, add another like, so you have 3 of them side by side. If it's at an angle like line, make sure the side closer to the front is appropriately wider then the rear.

Got them down? Don't worry, it'll take a little prating to visual the curve of the face.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
Re: Grey's How to draw thread. presented by toyota.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:44 pm »
Right so part: we start on the eyes now. There's an easy way to do this: draw the bottom lid and use it as a guide for the top!

As you can see in the examples on the left, the top is wider and for the most part, more curved the the bottom. Use the bottom as a base and lead out till you reach your box guides you made earlier. From their, it's simply another arch: a big thick one to the top of the guide box and back down. It get's a bit tricker draw the eye from the side, as you need to again remember the curve of the face affecting the lines. but for the most part, the will pretty much work every time.
Whether or not you add the pivot point like I did is up to you. I did since it give a more feminine look without needy lashes.
Anyways. you've now made your lids. time to draw the eye itself. or, more specifically, the visible part of the iris.
There's basically only one rule to follow: the iris is never completely shown without some visual use (shock, fear, etc.) You can do it as a style thing, but I prefer not to.

Look at the examples to the left you can see what I mean. the iris is normally bigger then reach of the eyes lids, so for most part, they lids should cover sections. pupils are just openings to the back of the eyes, and therefore have no color, making them black. They should always be in the center of your iris.

Well, now that that's out of the way, let go on to making the hair, shall we? Of course, you probably already know there's a massive variety of hair, so let's skip all that and work with what Kid as: Loose bangs up front with a ponytail in the back.

Because Kid's hair is like that, we need to use two different methods when drawing it. The first is to use a starting point for the hair. using this point, we're going to simply extended the hair out and make it look like we want in the most basic shapes for guides. like so.

And now that we have them, we can begin to define the hair. The hair closest to the viewer, again, should be defined first.
As you can see, the hair follows the two guides setup earlier: all the parts start from the starting point and follow the path of the guide lines. Keep going till you have the look you want. Once you're done with the front, work backwards.
You may have noticed I left the close part of the bangs alone. don't worry, you don't have to do that last or anything. Kid's hair can flow the bangs in the back, so I just elected to draw the back first.

You can also add hightlights by drawings squiggles, or draw dark tones with short lines.  

Time to draw the back of the head. This part's easy. Simply draw the top of the circle, OR, draw a little bigger. Hair adds volume, remember, and even tied down hair is thicker then a bald head.The bottom of the ear is a good guide how the curve should go.
Right so, hair's done.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:32:51 pm by grey_the_angel »

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:52:15 pm »
Congradulations kiddies, you're almost done. Let's work on the braid!
So the braid on Kid's head isn't actually a braid at all, its just bunches of hair held down at points with ribbon. Find where the braid should start and draw a little tube out. It doesn't have to be as long or thin as mine. A lot of people draw shorter, wider, thicker ones. I prefer bigger bows.

When drawing the tube itself remember that it's not a solid object in pratice: the ribbon moves, shuffles and overlaps. Drawing a "cardboard" tub is a no-no: stay away from straight lines.

The ribbon is allowed to be free at the ends, becoming a neat bow. When drawing bows, no matter how you decide to make the bow, remember that the folds should be coming from the tension point: the spot where the cloth is being pulled down and in. this is what's cause the bow to bend and gain its curvy shape.

And it's time to add kid's hair to the braid. Kid's hair is held down from it's natural volume because of the ribbon tying it down, so it should expand and contract according, much like the bow. not to the degree I show the sample; rather, according the tension you have in mind: the tighter the braid, the more visible the difference should be.

If you need to remember you can always use a guideline to help you determine where things should go. just remember to keep them light.
Define the rest of the braid as needed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:14:09 pm by grey_the_angel »

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:12:21 pm »
Not much left to do that isn't up to you anymore.

Add a nose. There's many different kinds of noses, but We're going cute, and I decided to use a simple swipe to give a cute little one. remember your guide lines if you don't know (and you really should know) where the nose goes: just under the box between the eyes.

The same goes with a mouth: it goes underneath the nose, and will and should vary. Again we're going for cute: cute in this case means a small mouth.
Adding the eyebrows will give you different expression with the same eyes. Let's go generic for now: simple arches. The width and thickness can vary depending on the subject matter, but that's for another tutorial.

Now just add her face paint and VOILA! you've drawn yourself Kid's adorable little face. Too bad the girl herself isn't as cute. Or is she? I guess that depends on who you're asking, isn't it? Enjoy the work you've done: you've earned a little pat on the back for doing a good job.

Next time, We'll do some body work.

till then:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:16:38 pm by grey_the_angel »

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • http://clovis15.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:06 pm »
Nice Kid, Bravo.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:19:22 am »
Hah I use a similar drawing process, but still kind of feel my skills have improved upon seeing this. :D You make an excellent art teacher, Grey!

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 03:41:41 am »
Nice XD

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:12:44 am »
I'm very much out of my element here, but I feel like even I learned something.  This is a very informative thread, and you are to be commended for posting it.  :)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:53:46 am »
I love the Cowboy Bebop reference!

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 12:16:16 am »
And here's when I get through fixing the drawing with the rules I learned later on.

I don't know what tutotrial to do next. Chest or Another head?

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 12:20:57 am »
Hey's a helpful little video of me drawing Rikku from Final Fantasy x-2 for you guy to look at.

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhwSFavr9-s
part2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV2oTVixYHw

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 08:49:41 pm »
Looks like the audio has already been disabled for the first clip.  I had no idea the dreaded copyright cops worked so fast...  :(

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 10:10:37 pm »
Practice makes perfect, preferably 10,000 hours according to science.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 03:32:44 am »
anybody want a particular subject for me to do??

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »
anybody want a particular subject for me to do??
Yeah!  :D Poses. I kinda dig the poses you come up with, and yet when I try some unique ones I always get them off proportion.