Author Topic: Crimson Echoes leaked  (Read 54161 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Crimson Echoes leaked
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2011, 04:26:25 pm »
Yeesh!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:12 pm »
Wait the what? Did they turn Glenn/Frog into a Scottish dwarf stereotype?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2011, 01:48:52 am »
...I don't get it.  If they're trying to keep his speech "formal" or attempting to stick with the original English translation, then why didn't they stick with the "thou" and "thee" stuff instead of just inserting "ye" everywhere?  I'm no linguist, but wouldn't "Thou belongst in the castle...  Thy true home and where thou'st needed most." sound better and more like Frog's original speech than what they have, which is essentially "YE YE YE YE YE YE" ??  "Ye true home" doesn't even make grammatical sense.  "You true home" ?

/English major blather
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:52:56 am by Sajainta »

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2011, 02:50:36 am »
Been a LONG time since I've posted here... But, I started the Flames of Eternity project, I got a team together, then dropped from it back in May of 2010 because someone was trying to take everything over and change the game in a VERY dynamic aspect. The last thing I touched, was on the newly leaked Crimson Echoes. There was an infinite looping bug if you failed the "Frog Catching Challenge". But eh, I'm not too big on the coding thing anymore. I do a few bug fixes here and there when I'm needed, but I mostly stay out of the scene.

Back in 2009, soon after the C&D, I do recall talking to JP. (where I got a copy of his tech editor from :P) and he said not to put too much effort into my project, because Crimson Echoes wasn't dead just yet. Seems he was correct. It was either him, or our (the FoE team's) "rival" who leaked it. The rival, was doing a CE restore project, coding ONLY what was seen in the 98% beta on the CEmemorial, so as to stay true to the Crimson Echoes story.

So, if you (rival) completed this. I commend you. A great job well done. You just should have fixed that frog catching loop so I didn't have to :P

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • http://clovis15.deviantart.com
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »
I definitely did not expect anyone involved with either leak in any capacity to actually post in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:16:37 pm by Clovis15 »

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2011, 09:17:23 pm »
I'm sorry if what I'm about to say is going to come off as harsh, but it has to be said:

I know you were merely seeking to give people the game they had been looking forward to for so long, yet got denied at the last second by Square-Enix, but did you ever stop to consider that this was an endeavor more selfish than generous? It's all well and good to finish it and leak it in secret somewhere off from the sidelines when you aren't the ones that Square-Enix promised they would bend over devilishly in court, if any ills come from your actions then it won't befall you when the shit comes raining down. Why would you ever care about Zeality, or anyone else at this site, so long as you get to let everyone play a close facsimilie of the 98% version of the game? I think you in your zeal to save the day, you forgot to perform a brain check.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2011, 11:29:19 pm »
I actually made it VERY clear in one of the threads here, that the FoE project was in no way, shape, or form, affiliated or endorsed by the Chrono Compendium, Kajar Laboratories, or the Crimson Echoes team.

I did not leak anything. In all honesty, the FoE project was as open source as it could possibly get. We started with the early alpha build that got leaked onto the net soon after the C&D. From then on, we started posting updates to the progress, and let other people have their hands on the game to do as they will.

Again, I had NOTHING to do with the leak of either the early alpha OR the 98% completed version now. The only thing I am/was associated with, is the early development of Flames of Eternity.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2011, 11:33:15 pm »
As I say, what's done is done.

Now let's all go enjoy CE in all it's glory. :)

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2011, 01:06:09 am »
A New Challenger has Entered the Ring! I don't know if we should download it. I'm actually wondering if the CE team is ok with the compendium playing it. I mean it is their work.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2011, 01:08:48 am »
I have wondered the same things... But you know what, it's still THEIR game no matter who released it... And surely there's some bit of pride in knowing that we're actually enjoying THEIR game now. So unless they actually take a stance upon it's release (thus far they've been mum), I'm going to keep enjoying it. I even said (earlier in this thread) that if their wishes were for us to not play it or something, that I would comply. However, silence leaves plenty of opportunity in the meantime. :)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2011, 01:48:09 am »
Here, here! (Hear, hear!?) Boo has said enough for all of us. Let's try to quietly consider ourselves (the hardcore Chrono fans) lucky for once.

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2011, 02:32:50 am »
I'm kind of with multiple people on this one for both arguments. I am mixed with "OMGYAY!" and "Oh shit, is everyone going to be okay from those who created Crimson Echoes?"

Personally speaking... I was reading over some old posts on the compendium and looking at all the projects that have been made that either were abandoned for XYZ reason, especially the really potentially great ones SE shut down because of them being greedy little money hungry bastards who won't let their fans expand on their games like Capcom or make new ones with beloved classics but beat the Final Fantasy series like a dead horse copyright infringements, like Crimson Echoes and Chrono Trigger Resurrection, it makes me wonder cause all of those projects were of free design... not anyone getting paid to do it. So... it cost SE more money to pay someone to draw up the C&D letters and mail them to the fan-game creators then it actually did to make the fan games... But I guess what do I know?

*For ye explanation of YEternity, go to ye 6:57 in this video and ye shall see for yeself.
As for that... go one way or the other. If you want to keep Frog/Glenn's speech as per the original SNES English version then get a person who knows proper Shakespearean dialect... not add "Ye" at every turn... I mean even in the proper translation he uses some European English Speaking countries dialect and slang (i.e. Using "Aye" for yes... If you want more references let me go back over the DS version and I'll list some more here.) but not YE all the time. ._. And the "ye're" reminds me of Kid ^^;;

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2011, 12:46:25 am »
I wouldn't say that it costs more to pay someone to research, write up, and send off the C&D letters. I mean, they have a salaried legal staff, so it's not like they're actually paying any extra to pursue their "legal rights". Probably the only thing they are out is 44 cents for the stamp.

In their mind the fangames represent a threat: a potential loss on an intellectual property they rightfully own. People may be more loyal or more inclined to feel attached to a fangame to continue on a legacy. I also think that Square Enix is aware at just how rabid the Chrono fanbase is. Chrono doesn't sell as many as Final Fantasy games, but the Chrono fans are a stronger, more outspoken, head strong group hellbent on seeing the Chronoverse live on. They are so fervent that they have spawned at least two professional-grade fangames. I mean, how many completed, professional-level Final Fantasy fangames are floating around out there? Final Fantasy: Endless Nova is the only completed fangame I am aware of.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2011, 06:19:56 pm »
Having new official games regularly helps to greatly diminish the drive for a fangame to complete, so there's that factor too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:04:29 pm by Clovis15 »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2011, 08:03:30 pm »
Aye. The Final Fantasy fanbase is larger than the Chrono fanbase, and the franchise is continually refreshed. Were Final Fantasy to go the way of Chrono, you would see a core of diehards emerge that is larger than our own.