Author Topic: Crimson Echoes leaked  (Read 54201 times)

buu700

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Crimson Echoes leaked
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 06:47:42 am »
Hahahaha. You know, it's funny; I'm also this guy.

And thanks. I guess you're right. I should be doing homework right now at 5:46am instead of worrying about this anyway.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 12:24:21 pm »
Just found the ROM on /v/ and was wondering if something happened for a sec. So it looks like it is an updated version of the 98% version but not the one by Flames of Eternity. Huh, didn't know there was another one working on it.

Maaaan...as much as I'm shocked and worried by this, I guess I'm also glad that it's not based on Flames of Eternity, going from the little I heard in regards to how that turned out...

I just hope nothing terrible comes of this. Would be nice if this turned out to be much ado about nothing; I'm not holding my breath for that, but I do think it's entirely reasonable that the CC can avoid anything too bad, since they literally had nothing to do with this...

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 02:35:23 pm »
Hopefully Square Enix is so busy knocking down unapproved Final Fantasy XIII-2 footage on Youtube that this will really be the least of their concerns. Keeping my fingers crossed that that's the case, anyway.

ZealKnight likes this post!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 02:38:26 pm »
Heh. Putting it that way, it does sound a likely possiblity.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 06:25:18 pm »
Legally speaking, this seems like a grey area. Zeality and the Crimson Echoes Dream Team got a C&D letter and, indeed, the both ceased and desisted most endedly. Now someone else came along and essentially stole the work, changed it, and released it. Technically, the release is a hack of a hack, a copyright infringement of a copyright infringement. It might actually be safer for the dream team this way than if the beta or alpha were posted. Or might not; I am sure the team would prefer to not find out the legal standing of this in a court of law.

As a side note, might be best if that Megaupload link were at least removed from the forums (if not removed from any connection what so ever).

Now on a totally and completely unrelated note, have a link to tag lines from the movie, Serenity: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Serenity_%28film%29#Taglines
Personally, I like the top one.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »
Eh well, I nabbed it and backed it up, never to give out again.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 01:34:26 am »
Dude, I gotta say... I hope nothing bad happens. My heart goes out to Zeality and those that could be hurt the most for it. Personally, I would be surprised that if Square-Enix does take action. I feel like the CE situation has died down enough since then. And like Thought said, those guys still met the conditions of the Cease and Desist. They didn't release anything, nor did they authorize it.

However... That all being said. I think I can speak for everyone who never got to play CE: Buu, thank you. Welcome to the Compendium.

buu700

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 02:30:59 am »
 :)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 12:45:21 pm »
So since I've heard that this version that Buu leaked is actually a finished version? What's different from the original--I haven't seen the playthrough in quite a while, and I don't want to play the game while watching the playthrough to figure it out--am I to assume that most of the differences are towards the end of the game, and that they aren't too severe? Or is it completely different?

...am I allowed to talk about that?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »
I've heard of two hacks continuing the work of CE - The known FoE (that always makes me think of a certain DC event) and the rather unknown work of another user.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »
I take it the unknown other hack gives credit where it's due?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 04:08:12 pm »
Not sure, I haven't played it.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 06:07:53 pm »
Wow! I missed all of this. I guess that's what happens when I get out of the loop. I can't say I'm surprised. There were a number of people who had access to the ROM during the later stages of development, and a smaller number (although still several) who had the Temporal Flux chops to finish things off, which would account for the post-98% version being leaked. I'm sad I don't have the inside scoop this time. When the original C&D came around, I knew everything that was going on. Now, I'm left to wonder like the rest of you.

A couple of notes:

1) The Chrono Compendium doesn't have anything to worry about. SE used up its leverage over this place back with the original C&D demand. We're out of the business of releasing unauthorized ROMs, and that is that. If SE wanted to take further action against our community, they'd have to sue, and now their case would be even flimsier than it would have been in 2009. It doesn't make sense for SE to sue people who don't have anything that it values.

2) I never knew about "Flames of Eternity." I would offer advice to the CE development team to be flattered, not offended. They ripped you off. That's how fans show their love. You ripped off the Dream Team. Don't you suppose Mr. Kato himself would be disappointed at CE in that it almost certainly doesn't match his own vision for the series? Now, you're on the other end of the stick. You're the ones who got ripped off. Take it as a compliment. And if the hacked hack is inferior to the original hack--which it almost certainly is, because CE is a surprisingly good game--then so much the better.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:42 pm »
...and in the bizarre news department, the user masato_kato has posted again at GameFAQs.

Hey -- you never know.

EDIT: Well, now that I think about it some more, we might be able to get a better idea by pondering on whether native Japanese speakers often use http://imgur.com/ for hosting photos. There's also the question of whether the image the user signed off with is in the Compendium's archives. The user signed off with "Runmaru" last time too, but at that point both the Compendium and HardcoreGaming101 (by direct interview with Kato!) knew he had used that handle previously in game development.

I just love intrigue.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:51:39 pm by FaustWolf »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 08:47:56 pm »
GameFAQs has a special set of ranks for VIPs. It's very unlikely that this is a rogue posting from the peanut gallery by none other than Kato himself.