Author Topic: Chrono Tarot cards project. Any ideas?  (Read 28645 times)

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Tarot cards project. Any ideas?
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2011, 02:43:40 pm »
Well, tbh I now think my Page of Cups, the Frog King, was a very lame pick, chosen very impulsively. We could shuffle the others around so that Cyrus gets a place. Kino may make a good Page of Cups himself, but I feel that may be underselling him a little bit (he is Ayla's partner, after all...), so I'll take another look.

Trying to think of characters from prehistory and the future to include! Johnny may make a good Page of some kind.

I also agree with the Ace card choices!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:49:57 pm by Syna »

Angerona

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where are my keys???!!!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »
@Alfy, and Angerona: How's this? Personally, I'm not fond of bevels, but contours are better than flat, I suppose.

I’m really sorry for the late reply, Tushantin (Unfortunately I was condemned to 3 days without Internet connection (my modem just died) and navigating with the cell phone causes me nightmares). Personally I really liked the more complex bevels but they were probably too much, visually speaking, so this new version works much better. I also like the color choice as well. I see some parts look a bit pixilated, but it’s probably because of the file compression.
I have a quick question and it’s probably something superficial, but how does the design works when printed? I’m sure most people will want to have the cards physically and it would be important that the design stands gracefully the change from RGB to CMYK colors (I tried to print it myself but I ran out of color ink =P… Also my monitor is helluva bright (it needs to be recalibrated ASAP) so probably the actual design is less bright).

Finally, maybe I would move the logo a bit to the left, since visually the darkest color at the top left is somehow pushing it a bit to the right making it look a bit off place (also because the left side of the “C” is much heavier  -composition wise- than the right side, so having more free space at the right would make the overall composition a bit lighter and more equilibrated). However it looks amazing.
  8)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
@Angerona: Applying Scribus' colour management to it suggests that almost the entire image fails to fit the CMYK printer gamut (I'm not surprised—when I sampled the yellow, it was incredibly saturated), so it would probably print somewhat duller than it shows on screen. (If we were printing these professionally, I'd probably investigate the possibility of setting it up as a three-colour using red and yellow spot inks + black, which might give a more vivid result.)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:46 pm »

The only thing is...I feel like the black border around the outsidemost part of the C (the chronometer part, rather than the letter) is too thick or dark. But since the entire Chronomenter C is one layer in the .psd file there's not much I can do about it unless I feel like taking apart the layer and putting it back together. Which I could do without too much trouble, but....meeeehhhhh I don't fee l like it...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2011, 10:22:08 pm »
use the "magic wand" tool around it, "refine edge" button. Increase "smooth" and mess with "expand/contract" and delete the excess. should take 30 seconds :lol:

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2011, 11:38:13 am »
Well, tbh I now think my Page of Cups, the Frog King, was a very lame pick, chosen very impulsively. We could shuffle the others around so that Cyrus gets a place. Kino may make a good Page of Cups himself, but I feel that may be underselling him a little bit (he is Ayla's partner, after all...), so I'll take another look.

Trying to think of characters from prehistory and the future to include! Johnny may make a good Page of some kind.

Glad we're on the same page about the Aces.

While we work out the Major Arcana quandary, we could take a look at the court cards:

original reply:
King of Swords- Masa & Mune  
Queen of Swords- Mother Brain
Knight of Swords- Slash
Page of Swords- Dalton

King of Wands- Spekkio
Queen of Wands- Azala
Knight of Wands- a winking Flea
Page of Wands- Atropos

King of Pentacles- Ozzie
Queen of Pentacles- Crono's Mom
Knight of Pentacles- Yakra
Page of Pentacles- Tata

King of Cups- Kino
Queen of Cups- Fiona
Knight of Cups- Toma
Page of Cups- Frog King

Queen of Swords-
Knight of Swords- Slash
Page of Swords- Dalton

King of Wands- Spekkio
Queen of Wands-
Page of Wands-

King of Pentacles- Ozzie
Queen of Pentacles-
Knight of Pentacles-
Page of Pentacles-

King of Cups-
Queen of Cups- Fiona
Knight of Cups-
Page of Cups-

those are the choices I definitely agree with. The Mystical Knights should be included, and all 3 should appear. Slash and Flea as Knights, with Ozzie as King, and in 3 suits, all works out perfectly. Masa & Mune collectively make a perfect King of Swords. and since Spekkio isn't a trump, King of Wands is undoubtedly his spot. Fionas creation of the Zenan forest solidifies her rank as Queen of Cups. Dalton is definitely a page, Swords is the most fitting suit, and he's from 12000 BC.

Choices I'm not sure about were left blank. If Mother Brain and Azala aren't in the Trumps, they should definitely be assigned as Queens. Perhaps Queen Zeal could be placed here too, unless she's incorporated well enough into the Tower.

even in my pared down list, 600ad has no less than 5 representatives. I guess its fitting for a medieval era to figure strongly in a court. but the Court is a suitable place to work in other eras too. Gato would make a nice page, although present is already well represented in the Trumps. I agree the Johnny would make a good Page, perhaps the Page of Wands. Norstein Bekkler would work well as Knight of Wands, but that is precluded by the Mystical Knights.

I like Toma as Knight of Cups, but I'm thinking Kino could fit there too. He doesn't quite seem like a King, but he's better than a page. We could maybe then have Cyrus as King of Cups. I don't know who the page would be. Janus, maybe?

Yakra is a strong pick for Knight of Pentacles, so unless there are other suitable options we'll stick with that. he represents 600 ad, but also the present. his political power as fake chancellor and greed fit the suit. We could stick with Crono's Mom as Queen to put a positive influence in the Pentacles, unless Zeal/Azala/Mother Brain get placed there. Maybe Gato could be page of pentacles, in spite of being from the present. Other than him, Tata or Porre Mayor, I'm not sure who else would fit.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:49:23 am by xcalibur »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2011, 07:40:53 am »
@Angerona, I've no problems with asymmetry, but provided the design had the bases of asymmetry. I'm pretty careful about symmetry, and the Chronometer is actually "exactly" at the center, give and take a pixel. XD

Unfortunately I use GIMP, so I can't try converting to CMYK. Although I'll give it a go when I get access to Photoshop.

@Katie: How about this? (Bekkler, it took me more than 30 sec; used the Pen Tool. Yeah, I stop watched it.)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2011, 01:18:31 pm »
:) i'm glad you timed it! Never be afraid to have fun!

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2011, 02:31:20 pm »
come to think of it, Janus would work well as page of cups. He's a child, and he's full of emotion - not just the "tempest in his head" but also love for Schala. his dark side also helps balance the Cups. I don't want a certain suit to be too overwhelmingly positive or negative. It's ok if they lean one way or the other, as long as there's some balance. That's also my concern with Pentacles - any other ideas for Knight of Pentacles besides Yakra?

here's my preliminary court cards:

Queen of Swords-
Knight of Swords- Slash
Page of Swords- Dalton

King of Wands- Spekkio
Queen of Wands-
Page of Wands- Jetbike Johnny

King of Pentacles- Ozzie
Queen of Pentacles-
Page of Pentacles- Gato

King of Cups- Cyrus
Queen of Cups- Fiona
Knight of Cups- Kino
Page of Cups- Janus

something like this could work. who the other Queens are depends on what we do with the Trumps.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:41:46 pm by xcalibur »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2011, 06:12:21 pm »
@Katie: How about this?

Well, I like it better!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2011, 04:15:15 am »
CMYK separation. How's it? Try printing: http://www.box.net/s/bui26z9oykj3ceavghen

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2011, 12:46:13 pm »
Hey guys, I've moved this to Kajar. tushantin asked about a project forum; feel free to make a thread for each card you're working on for right now since there's not much else going on in Kajar at the moment anyway, and if it looks like this is catching on we can collect all the threads into a dedicated subforum.

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2011, 11:16:03 pm »

Glad we're on the same page about the Aces.

While we work out the Major Arcana quandary, we could take a look at the court cards:

original reply:
Queen of Swords- Mother Brain
Knight of Swords- Slash
Page of Swords- Dalton

King of Wands- Spekkio
Queen of Wands- Azala
Page of Wands- Atropos

King of Pentacles- Ozzie
Queen of Pentacles- Crono's Mom
Page of Pentacles- Tata

King of Cups- Kino
Queen of Cups- Fiona
Knight of Cups- Toma
Page of Cups- Frog King

Queen of Swords-
Knight of Swords- Slash
Page of Swords- Dalton

King of Wands- Spekkio
Queen of Wands-
Page of Wands-

King of Pentacles- Ozzie
Queen of Pentacles-
Knight of Pentacles-
Page of Pentacles-

King of Cups-
Queen of Cups- Fiona
Knight of Cups-
Page of Cups-

those are the choices I definitely agree with. The Mystical Knights should be included, and all 3 should appear. Slash and Flea as Knights, with Ozzie as King, and in 3 suits, all works out perfectly. Masa & Mune collectively make a perfect King of Swords. and since Spekkio isn't a trump, King of Wands is undoubtedly his spot. Fionas creation of the Zenan forest solidifies her rank as Queen of Cups. Dalton is definitely a page, Swords is the most fitting suit, and he's from 12000 BC.

Choices I'm not sure about were left blank. If Mother Brain and Azala aren't in the Trumps, they should definitely be assigned as Queens. Perhaps Queen Zeal could be placed here too, unless she's incorporated well enough into the Tower.

even in my pared down list, 600ad has no less than 5 representatives. I guess its fitting for a medieval era to figure strongly in a court. but the Court is a suitable place to work in other eras too. Gato would make a nice page, although present is already well represented in the Trumps. I agree the Johnny would make a good Page, perhaps the Page of Wands. Norstein Bekkler would work well as Knight of Wands, but that is precluded by the Mystical Knights.

I like Toma as Knight of Cups, but I'm thinking Kino could fit there too. He doesn't quite seem like a King, but he's better than a page. We could maybe then have Cyrus as King of Cups. I don't know who the page would be. Janus, maybe?

Yakra is a strong pick for Knight of Pentacles, so unless there are other suitable options we'll stick with that. he represents 600 ad, but also the present. his political power as fake chancellor and greed fit the suit. We could stick with Crono's Mom as Queen to put a positive influence in the Pentacles, unless Zeal/Azala/Mother Brain get placed there. Maybe Gato could be page of pentacles, in spite of being from the present. Other than him, Tata or Porre Mayor, I'm not sure who else would fit.

I actually think that Fiona should be the Queen of Pentacles. Pentacles are an earth element. Cups are water. Perhaps have Crono's mom as that? Or maybe the woman who was the NPC that saved the sapling?

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2011, 06:31:07 pm »
Please take me off your mailing list for this. n_n'

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2011, 03:59:00 am »
Same here. I'm glad the project has momentum but I can't help and I now have almost 20 unread PMs, and an email for each PM.