Author Topic: Chrono Tarot cards project. Any ideas?  (Read 28626 times)

Angerona

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where are my keys???!!!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Re: Chrono Tarot cards project. Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:34 pm »
Thank you so much everybody for getting involved in this project –shivers in excitement-!!! =^_^=

Anyway, don't take my suggestions as commands in any way, they're just ideas! :-)
Au contraire, thank you so much for getting involved!; I’m really really sorry if I was reactive or rude, I didn´t mean it =(. Btw, I’m really glad to hear that your dog is doing better ^^.

Ohh, YOU READ MY MIND. :D I am a tarot nerd.
That's awesome!, Thank you so much for the info Syna, your knowledge about this matter will be of invaluable help, thank you so much for being part of this! =D

Tarot cards are apart of my religion ^.^ I'll brew on this and get back to you.
I really hope you decide to participate, your art is awesome ^^!

I love this idea!!!! I especially can't wait to see your vision of it, Angerona! :D
Thank you  =^_^=!

That's a brilliant idea, Angerona and Syna!

Though, single-sided or double? If double, make sure you hand out a template after deciding how it's to be printed.

Thank you! I would love to make it double-sided (Zeal’s crest, Guardia’s crest and the Frozen Flame maybe?).

Maybe we could place a poll or something so we could decide which character (s) will show up on each card, or maybe we could even give a chance to create alternate versions of some or all the cards (for example, while my first choice for “The Lovers” card would be Serge and Kid, I think that a Dario/Riddel version would totally apply and at the same time would have a totally different feeling.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:15:00 pm »
This IS the best excuse for a poll I think I've seen on the Compendium for like a year!

And you didn't come off as rude at all! I'm really glad this idea is gaining so much momentum so fast!

Angerona

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 08:04:39 pm »
This IS the best excuse for a poll I think I've seen on the Compendium for like a year!

And you didn't come off as rude at all! I'm really glad this idea is gaining so much momentum so fast!

Excellent -strikes a Mr. Burns’ pose-! How do we set a poll and which options should we provide? Creating a poll for each Major Arcana would be insane… What can we do to make it flexible enough and not too complicated at the same time?

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »
We could set up a Google docs survey.

We could put descriptions of the meanings of each major arcana in front of each box and let people write in what they want-- that way people aren't restricted to a long list of characters, and may come up with a creative idea out of the blue.

That would be LONG, but this is a pretty big project that's being proposed, so... :)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 01:42:51 am »
Why not stretch it out and do one per card per week?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 05:08:46 am »
I second Bekkler's idea! That way we could have art exclusive to the tarots.  :D We could also assign an artist to dedicate into finishing the character each weak. Let's say, while an artist is making "The King", we could have a poll at the same time to see what people want to see as "The Lovers" next week. Also, remove the "The" from the cards; just "Lovers" or something sounds cool.  8)

@Syna: I get what you mean, (no offense) but for a person with not much experience with Tarot, calling them a fool would instinctively make them not download the sheet in the first place.  :lol: I'm just saying it can be misinterpreted as that. We'll have to put a vote for the fool too I suppose.

Thanks for the link, by the way! Pretty interesting read.

@Angerona: Hah! I like the crests idea. We already have the FF, we already have Guardia's crest, but unfortunately we don't have Zeal's crest.  :(

EDIT: Found the crest! On teh dress!  :grimm
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/File:Schala_Reimagined_by_reihelen.jpg.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:29:15 am by tushantin »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 01:30:47 pm »
Bekkler's idea makes a lot of sense and is quite a sane way of approaching a big undertaking. My one concern would be that, ideally, the deck would be a cohesive whole, and taking it one card at a time would make that a bit hard. For instance, one might chose Guardia for the Emperor and later on discover they think he'd make a better Hanged Man, or something.

Maybe we could have a thread or two a week for each card, a discussion on it where people can put forth their suggestions and the reasons why and discuss the rest of the deck, and then a vote at the end of the week when the new card discussion begins? We could put the card's definition and a list of characters up at the top for easy reference, and people could have at it. Later on, if they felt like it, people could change their minds.

This would also encourage lots of Chrono analysis, which I personally love.

@Syna: I get what you mean, (no offense) but for a person with not much experience with Tarot, calling them a fool would instinctively make them not download the sheet in the first place.  :lol: I'm just saying it can be misinterpreted as that. We'll have to put a vote for the fool too I suppose.

Right, but though I don't want to give this a Super Serious turn or anything -- this is fanart for goodnessakes-- I would (personally) like to see this be a legitimate tarot deck with carefully-thought-out choices that are appropriate to both Chrono and the Tarot. That's why I'd like to see the card meaning incorporated into the survey-- because people who aren't yet exposed to Tarot will see a commonly-misinterpreted card like the Fool or Death and judge it on face value, which is not really what the card is about. :) The Tarot is a very deep story, and I think people may find it interesting to learn about the deck of cards while they look at pretty fanart.

We can always put the meaning in the captioning for the art. :) I'm not suggesting that my pick for the Fool was the best there ever was, but I do think that the symbolism and resonances in the Tarot cards themselves are important.

But in the end this is for creativity and fun, and I don't want to curb anyone's enthusiasm or anything. This is just my take!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:40:08 pm by Syna »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 01:52:09 pm »
Tushantin, the Zeal crest is the mammon machine. They are one and the same (at least the shape)

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 06:03:32 pm »
As an artist, I'll agree the week thing might save your sanity, especially if you want to go hard-core on details and such. One a week for however long you feel might be easiest on your creativity and your mind ^^;

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 01:41:59 pm »
I've been wondering: is anybody still interested in this? I often get bored at work when there aren't many customers, but also feel too distracted to think clearly on Moonlight Reckoning or my novels, so I thought I'd give this a go. If I'm missing something, lemme know. (I'm removing 'The' from everything, because it makes stuff uncool.)

Major Arcana
  • Fool - Marle / Harle
  • Magician - Magus / Lynx / Sneff
  • High Priestess - Schala / Riddel
  • Empress - Queen Zeal / FATE
  • Emperor - King Guardia / General Viper
  • Hierophant - Belthasar / Steena
  • Lovers - Crono & Marle / Dario & Riddel
  • Chariot - Epoch / S. S. Zelbess
  • Strength - Ayla / Zoah
  • Hermit - Gaspar / Radius
  • Wheel of Fortune - Time Gate / Kid
  • Justice - Cyrus / Norris
  • Hanged Man - Robo / Wazuki / Miguel
  • Death - Black Wind / Dead Sea
  • Temperance - Melchoir / Zappa
  • Devil - Lavos / Frozen Flame
  • Tower - Ocean Palace / Black Omen / Terra Tower
  • Star - Toma / Nikki
  • Moon - Ozzie / Guile
  • Sun - Lucca / Pierre
  • Judgement - Crono / Serge
  • World - Nu / Entity

I'm not sure what cards to list in the Minor Arcana, but we can always decide them later. So feel free to discuss. I was thinking of designing a template, but time ran out for me. :(

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 02:53:34 pm »
I'm still interested in this but my art skills only go as far as spriting and mapping XD I'll give you all moral support!  :wink:

Angerona

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 11:33:43 pm »
I've been wondering: is anybody still interested in this?

I’m really sorry for suggesting the idea en ended up disappearing… Actually I’m still interested in developing this project… But taking decisions has been really hard because everybody has such good suggestions =(…

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 01:07:09 am »
I've been wondering: is anybody still interested in this?

I’m really sorry for suggesting the idea en ended up disappearing… Actually I’m still interested in developing this project… But taking decisions has been really hard because everybody has such good suggestions =(…
Well, then let's just do this! XD Start from somewhere. We can adopt a Chrono-style design perhaps inspired by Clow Cards:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/19151/390556-2901-clow-cards_large.jpg
http://sakuraccs.bysakura.net/general.php?i=en&t=clowcards

After we'e got a decent template, all we'd need to do is copy/paste pictures and credit artists for it.

But what "theme"? Specific color scheme or full-color?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:08:46 am by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 06:12:18 am »
I made the back cover for Trigger Tarot. 11 x 7 cm, 300 dpi. Any suggestions?

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 06:55:56 pm »
I made the back cover for Trigger Tarot. 11 x 7 cm, 300 dpi. Any suggestions?

BAD ASS!!!! I love it!