Author Topic: Chrono Tarot cards project. Any ideas?  (Read 28619 times)

Angerona

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where are my keys???!!!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Chrono Tarot cards project. Any ideas?
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:07:09 pm »
After participating in tushantin’s awesome bookmark Project I have been “cooking” an idea for a few days: I would really like to see a Chrono Tarot card set, and 2 different Tarots (Trigger and Chross) would be even more awesome (at least the Major Arcana). Which character would you think that suit better with each card (the less the characters are repeated and the more original the concept is, the better!)? A Chrono Cross tarot set could be so awesome with all the variety of characters… The possibilities are unlimited. And if we could create a template so different artists could participate that would make it even better.
Do you have any ideas? Please let me know.

Note.: The Major Arcana cards are:
The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, The Empress, The Emperor, The Hierophant, The Lovers, The Chariot, Strength, The Hermit, Wheel of Fortune, Justice, The Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, The Devil, The Tower, The Star, The Moon, The Sun, Judgement, and The World.

Thank you so much in advance!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Tarot cards project. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »
Ozzie the Fool, Flea the Magician, Schala the High Priestess, Zeal the Empress, Alphard (or Guardia) the Emperor, Fiona the Hierophant, Crono and Marle the Lovers, Epoch (or JetBike) the Chariot, Spekkio Strength, Doan the Hermit, Johnny and his Wheels of Fortune, Pierre Justice, Fritz (or Slash) the Hanged Man, Lavos Death, Zeal Islands Temperance, Magus the Devil, Mt. Woe the Tower, Gaspar the Star, Melchior the Moon, Belthasar the Sun, Mother Brain Judgement, Entity World

Angerona

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where are my keys???!!!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »
Ozzie the Fool, Flea the Magician, Schala the High Priestess, Zeal the Empress, Alphard (or Guardia) the Emperor, Fiona the Hierophant, Crono and Marle the Lovers, Epoch (or JetBike) the Chariot, Spekkio Strength, Doan the Hermit, Johnny and his Wheels of Fortune, Pierre Justice, Fritz (or Slash) the Hanged Man, Lavos Death, Zeal Islands Temperance, Magus the Devil, Mt. Woe the Tower, Gaspar the Star, Melchior the Moon, Belthasar the Sun, Mother Brain Judgement, Entity World

Wow, that was fast *o*. Awesome ideas… I specially liked the Guru ones ^^.. Maybe the only one I would considerate changing would be “the Hanged man”… Some years ago I saw that card featuring Janus and felt it totally suited him, but maybe it’s because I love Janus (and it wouldn’t be fair that Ozzie and Flea were included and Slash wasn’t)… And maybe look for a way to include Lucca, Glenn, Ayla, Robo and Tata (Ok, Tata is not so important but he’s so underrepresented and I think he’s kind of cute ^^). 

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »
:lol: top of the head, I love making comparisons and matching things like that.
(Luke=Neo=Crono, Leia=Trinity=Marle, Obi-Wan=Morpheus=Gaspar, Sith=Agents=Mystics, Vader=Smith=Magus, Emperor=Architect=Lavos, Force=Matrix=Entity)

Archetypes are awesome!

Anyway, don't take my suggestions as commands in any way, they're just ideas! :-)

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:32:38 pm »
Ohh, YOU READ MY MIND. :D I am a tarot nerd.

Here are my picks if a contrast with Mr Bekkler's would help:

The Fool- The Player. I vote a SNES controller. I have reasons for this that I can enumerate.
The Magician- Crono
The High Priestess- Schala
The Empress- Queen Leene
The Emperor- King Guardia
The Hierophant- Belthasar
The Lovers- Crono & Marle, of course
The Chariot- Epoch
Strength- Ayla
The Hermit- Gaspar
Wheel of Fortune- Time Gate
Justice- Glenn (with Cyrus, perhaps)
The Hanged Man- Robo
Death- The Chrono Trigger
Temperance- Melchior
The Devil- Magus
The Tower- The Ocean Palace/Mammon Machine/Queen Zeal
The Star- Marle
The Moon- The Black Dream  
The Sun- Lucca
Judgement- Lavos
The World- The Planet/Nu

And also: minor arcana suits, because I am a nerd!

King of Swords- Masa & Mune  
Queen of Swords- Mother Brain
Knight of Swords- Slash
Page of Swords- Dalton

King of Wands- Spekkio
Queen of Wands- Azala
Knight of Wands- a winking Flea
Page of Wands- Atropos

King of Pentacles- Ozzie
Queen of Pentacles- Crono's Mom
Knight of Pentacles- Yakra
Page of Pentacles- Tata

King of Cups- Kino
Queen of Cups- Fiona
Knight of Cups- Toma
Page of Cups- Frog King

I have a loose rationale for all of these, if you need some justification. :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:37:43 pm by Syna »

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:18:50 pm »
Tarot cards are apart of my religion ^.^ I'll brew on this and get back to you. I think due to the extent of how in depth the characters are, both major and NPCs that you could do the Major Arcana and Minor Arcana easily. You could do a whole deck if you wanted buuuuttt that's a LOT. I love this idea!!!! I especially can't wait to see your vision of it, Angerona! :D

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:39:42 pm »
Yeah, a full-on deck would be awesome, though a massive, massive undertaking! I actually had the thought of the numbered suit cards being events, and the ace cards being the most important items. Maybe this:

Ace of Swords- Masamune/Red Knife
Ace of Wands- Gate Key
Ace of Cups- Pendant
Ace of Pentacles- Dreamstone

These are just ideas-- I am trying to chose what's most appropriate right off the bat, but codifying each of the suits and more of the major arcana may be a good idea (though may come at the expense of the appropriateness of the choices.)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 01:38:42 am »
That's a brilliant idea, Angerona and Syna!  :D I must say I don't know much about Tarot (despite my vivid interests in Paganism, Mythology, Occult, Mysticism, Supernatural and relevant stuff) since I haven't a deck myself. Hell, post the requirements (300 dpi would be awesome) in the first post, index the required characters there like Syna and Bekkler described, and we're on!

Though, single-sided or double? If double, make sure you hand out a template after deciding how it's to be printed.

P.S.: Wouldn't the "fool" be Bekkler or Chancellor?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:07:49 am by tushantin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:19 am »
Oh my god. I completely forgot about Norstein. I'm making a freaking game about him, my account name here is based on his name, he's my favorite little mystery ever and I completely forgot about him. Huh. Pretend you never saw this!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 02:05:35 am »
@Bekkler: You're welcome.  :lol: *Notes everyone I know*

BTW you may wanna include two versions of Tarots. One for Guardia and one for Zeal? Sounds appealing.  8) Sorta like the "Light and Dark" thing.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 02:13:13 am »
Oh my, I've wanted to see a Chrono tarot deck for years! (but I have no artistic ability!) I'm excited to see what you guys cook up! :)

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:20 am »
For Cross maybe-

The Fool:Harle
 The Magician:Sneff
 The High Priestess:Riddel
 The Empress: F.A.T.E.
 The Emperor: Viper
The Hierophant:Steena
 The Lovers:Serge and Kid
 The Chariot:S.S. Zellbess
 Strength:Karsh
The Hermit: Radius
 Wheel of Fortune: Fortune teller
 Justice: Norris
 The Hanged Man: Wazuki or Prometheus
 Death: Lynx
 Temperance: Miguel
The Devil: Time devourer
 The Tower: Terra Tower
 The Star: Nikki
 The Moon: Guile
 The Sun: Pierre
 Judgement: Belthasar
 and The World: Entity

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 05:06:12 am »
 :D So that settles it then! Three decks: Guardia, Zeal and Cross.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 07:34:28 am »
LOL, but Fate is male. However, the Sky Dragon or the Dragon God is female.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 11:45:04 am »
P.S.: Wouldn't the "fool" be Bekkler or Chancellor?

OK, I'm going to take this opportunity to rationalize why I chose the player as the fool. :)

The Fool is the major player in the Tarot and is not to be taken for a literal fool. He's described as meeting/experiencing the Major Arcana in what's called the "Fool's Journey." There is a sense of innocence and naivete about him -- he's about to fall off a freakin' cliff, for christsakes -- but it's more a sense of embarking on an adventure and boundless possiblities than anything else. Like all cards, there are positive and negative aspects.

The Fool can be the querent, person who is experiencing the Tarot -- i.e., asking the question-- but not always. Sometimes, that is reserved for the Magician, if the querent feels especially capable of shaping his own reality, which is why I thought Crono was best suited for him.

Crono ends up being extraordinarily powerful by the end, and as the instrument of the player's Will, I chose the Magician for him. (Again, don't look at the literal title. the Magician has mastery of the world and the power to create it, that's where his title comes from. An excellent description can be found here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/magician.shtml Aeclectic has good descriptions of all the cards, so they're worth a look.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:48:01 am by Syna »