Author Topic: Stargate Universe and Caprica cancelled  (Read 1778 times)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Stargate Universe and Caprica cancelled
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:45:34 am »
I was debating whether to put this in the frustration thread, or in humanity - good news/bad news, and decided it deserved its own thread since it brings into question the current state of science-fiction on television.

Tonight, Caprica ended its first and only season with five marathon episodes.  I felt it was a good - if uneven - series that deserved to continue simply because it was so different than other shows out there.  It combined soapy drama with questions of religion, God, and the nature of existence - such as the concept of a "virtual heaven".  It wasn't Battlestar Galactica, but Caprica had enough merit to stand on its own.  Ultimately, the series failed because the SyFy network wouldn't support it.  When you show only five or six new episodes followed by a months-long hiatus with no reruns, it's really hard for a serial drama to gain a following.  Instead they think it makes more financial sense to make as many Ghost Hunters spinoffs as possible.  And throughout this marathon Caprica night, they were showing promos for what can only be described as a Twilight clone.  Like we need another show about vampires and werewolves.

More troubling was the news of Stargate: Universe's cancellation.  It can rightly be said that giving a Stargate series the "BSG" treatment was a turnoff to fans who preferred the more campy, action-packed SG-1 or Atlantis.  But the show had great acting and a storyline that was beginning to gain some traction.  It dared to be different.  And for that we're losing it.  As a result of the surprise cancellation, a planned Stargate: Atlantis movie has been shelved indefinitely.  And so one of the foundation pillars of the SyFy network's success - Stargate - is going away for good.  The remaining pillars consist of B-grade original movies, B-movie reruns, "reality" series like Ghost Hunters, and the WWE.  I, for one, don't want to be standing in that house of cards when it comes tumbling down.  I'll watch Merlin, but I have little reason to come back after that.

I guess that was a bit of a rant, but what does everyone else think of this development?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Stargate Universe and Caprica cancelled
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18:28 am »
More troubling was the news of Stargate: Universe's cancellation.  It can rightly be said that giving a Stargate series the "BSG" treatment was a turnoff to fans who preferred the more campy, action-packed SG-1 or Atlantis.  But the show had great acting and a storyline that was beginning to gain some traction.  It dared to be different.  And for that we're losing it.  As a result of the surprise cancellation, a planned Stargate: Atlantis movie has been shelved indefinitely.  And so one of the foundation pillars of the SyFy network's success - Stargate - is going away for good.  The remaining pillars consist of B-grade original movies, B-movie reruns, "reality" series like Ghost Hunters, and the WWE.  I, for one, don't want to be standing in that house of cards when it comes tumbling down.  I'll watch Merlin, but I have little reason to come back after that.

I've missed the recent episodes of SGU - partly because I have no cable anymore.

Hopefully they'll have some more good Sci-Fi shows. Back in the day my parents were calling my cable company for years trying to get it added for Sliders (They were waiting on a buyout that took forever before adding new chanells).

I will miss SGU, although SG1 is still my favorite.

Vala: (description of Farscape, pitching a TV show)
Martin Lloyd: Ok, I'll admit I don't know that one.

O'Neill: (When threatened with a court martial.) That's O'Neill, with two "L"s. There's a Colonel O'Neil with one "L" and he has no sense of humor.

O'Neill: Every time the loop starts, Daniel's asking me a question, and I don't remember what it's about.
Teal'c: You are not the only one who must endure some discomfort. (Cut to Teal'c being hit in the forehead by a door opening.)

Ivanova: Zatharus, we're running out of time.
Zatharus: Time is infinite. You are finite. Zatharus is finite. This is... wrong tool. (and show)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »
I'm a huge BSG fan, but didn't start watching til it was over. In my mind, sci fi doesn't really exist any more, it's all pretty much soap opera drama with fantasy elements or the occasional deus ex machina spy gadget. The superficial, misguided renaming of the network is the epitome of the genre's death. They'd rather churn out cheap shit than make valuable new intellectual properties. It ruins the channel, but makes me appreciate GOOD, REAL sci fi when some nerd gets the chance to squeeze some into the public (District 9, for example)

The sci fi channel is known for their sci fi shows, what they're really best at is sci fi.

The syfy channnel is known for their ghost/monster hunter reality programming, and what THEY're really best at is following really far behind and below standards set by more profitable and successful networks.

Cartoon network doesn't show cartoons anymore. Music television (1 AND 2) doesn't play music anymore.

What it boils down to is a dead/dying format of 24 hour nonstop programming with few choices that will be replaced by things like netflix, hulu, itunes, and amazon. That's what I'm waiting for.

Because when people have the choice to stream anything they want to watch, and "what's on" isn't a factor, the only chance of survival is for networks to give people what they want to see, or they're out and that'll be that. I just hate waiting.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:01:09 pm »
They canceled Farscape a few years ago... Which means they are incredibly idiotic all around.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:22:28 am »
I used to be a huge Stargate Atlantis fan. It was pretty much the only TV show I've ever followed. I bailed on it shortly after the beginning of Season 4, when TPTB decided they were going to go fix what wasn't broke and traded an independent, kickass icon of feminism for a shell of what Sam Carter used to be. My interest just wained, though I tried to keep watching. I vaguely recall watching the season finale, just because the imagery of Atlantis in the desert was enticing.

To tell the truth, SGA never lived up to it's potential at all. I remember that iconic scene in the premiere episode, "Rising," when the Lost City rises from the ocean. I was hooked after that... the symbolism, the beauty of it... but nothing else ever lived up to that initial spark of promise. Season One, and parts of Season Two built upon it nicely, and I always thought they were working their way up to amazingness (remember the episode "Aurora," and the Captain's speech to his crew at the end? I had chills. That was epic. And "Before I Sleep" from Season One. I was convinced this show was going to be something amazing.)

SG1 has always been a fun Stargate show, with it's share of epic moments. ("The Fifth Race," "The Lost City," etc.) SGU was too much of angst-fest that I abandoned it after three episodes.

As far as shelving the planned SGA movie, they would have already shot it if they could have. They'd been telling Joe Flanigan and the others for over a year and a half that it would be "soon." Has it happened yet? No. Some fans called it a year ago that the SGA movie would never happen. If you ask me, this is just TPTB's excuse to get out of it.

Stargate is pretty much my only other fannish-type interest other than Chrono. When TPTB were openly thumbing their noses at Elizabeth Weir fans (who was pretty much the most independent, kickass female Stargate character ever... she didn't need a gun to command respect), and later on berating SGA fans for being irritated at its cancellation to make way for SGU... well, I said, "Cool. You want to insult the fans? I don't need to hang around and be insulted."

I do remember in the Weir-related circles of the fandom that people had predicted SGA's cancellation pretty accurately. (Some even celebrated as if it were vindication, but I remember just feeling sad that a show with such amazing potential had been canceled.) When you thumb your nose at one corner of your fans, it's just a matter of time before you thumb your nose at the rest.

My mom absolutely loves SGU, and one day a week or two ago I was at her house and she was watching an episode. I didn't know exactly what was going on, but I was intrigued. The thought had occurred to me that maybe I didn't give SGU a fair shake because of my mood and situation at the time it premiered. Then again, I didn't really get into BSG so maybe I wouldn't like it. I have historically always liked serious-type Sci Fi, but lately I've been craving the lighter stuff to ease my mood, heh.

Heh, sorry. A very long, only semi-related rant. I could go on and on about how much I loved SGA, but I think I loved it's potential more than anything else. And this was supposed to be a thread about SGU/Caprica.

SyFy screwed up a long time ago when then cancelled SG1, which if I remember correctly was doing well in ratings at the time. That started a series of events where Stargate's own Powers That Be managed to self-destruct the rest of the franchise, all without SyFy's further help. Maybe they had cleaned up their act by the time SGU got going, though sometimes it's too little, too late to bring the viewers back.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:04:34 am »
Well I haven't seen Caprica, but I can safely say I'm not really gonna miss SGU.  I didn't see all of it, bI saw maybe the first 12 episodes or so.  By then I just got kind of fed up with the show.  It had potential, I just don't think they went about it the right way.  From where I sat, it seemed like it was just a bit unoriginal.  The whole thing seemed like a big mesh of Battlestar Galactica, a bit of Star Trek Voyager, a bit of Lost, and just a little bit of Stargate.  I've heard people complain about how it's not SG-1 or Atlantis (Both of which I am a huge fan of which could be partially why I didn't like this) but my complaint is it just seemed like it wasn't Stargate.  I know it was trying to be different, and edgier and all of that, but I just think that it could have been done a lot better.  To be honest I think they could have very easily made it into a completely different show. 
I'm probably a bit too cynical about it, but just to sum it up, I didn't enjoy it and am honestly not very sad to see it go.

However, until I read this post and looked it up I had not heard about the shelving of the SGA movie.  That I am very sad to see.  I'm a big Atlantis fan and have been waiting for that one for a while.  Dang.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:14:33 am »
I was watching both of these series on Hulu. Keeping up with SGU got halted by the episodes for the second season being put up on Hulu and SyFy Rewind 30 days after the original airdate. And Caprica's cancellation stopped my watching it.

I thought both shows were good, but I don't have much of a standard to compare to or really any other shows I'm keeping up with.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »
The sci fi channel is known for their sci fi shows, what they're really best at is sci fi.

The syfy channnel is known for their ghost/monster hunter reality programming, and what THEY're really best at is following really far behind and below standards set by more profitable and successful networks.

What it boils down to is a dead/dying format of 24 hour nonstop programming with few choices that will be replaced by things like netflix, hulu, itunes, and amazon. That's what I'm waiting for.

Because when people have the choice to stream anything they want to watch, and "what's on" isn't a factor, the only chance of survival is for networks to give people what they want to see, or they're out and that'll be that. I just hate waiting.

The network format of entertainment may be on the way out, but it is happening one step at a time.  SyFy's inevitable failure moves us a bit closer, but other networks are still willing to produce quality programming.  CBS has some of the highest-rated programming right now, and it's well deserved.  It's mostly crime/military dramas, but they've found their niche.  The moment they lean away from that niche and opt for cheaper entertainment like "Survivor" to sustain themselves will signal the end of the network-era.

We live in an interesting transitionary period in entertainment.  Without five-minute blocks of commercials every 15 minutes, how will anyone be able to afford high-quality productions?  Will high-quality productions become a thing of the past?  Will people be forced to sit through infomercials before they can start watching something decent?  Will everything become pay-per-view to avoid that?  And if people aren't willing to see ads under any circumstances, how will companies promote their products?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:58:10 pm »
Advertising has been on a streak of invasion rather than innovation. It is a shame, because good commercials are few and far between, and rarely if ever actually make you want the advertised product.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:38 pm »
Nooooooooooooooo Why SyFy why? Now you've cancled 3 of my favorite shows!

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:31:02 am »
I loved BSG but Caprica didn't do it for me at all. I hated that show and am not surprised that it has been canceled. I had been meaning to get around to watch SGU on netflix, but never got around to it. Does ScyFy even have any scifi shows now?

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 01:18:37 am »
Am I the only one who thought SGU was a bit boring and weird? I mean, original and unique, yes, but chunks of it were a bit on the lame side for me and I got bored of watching. So hearing it's canceled does not surprise me at all.

But in all truth, the Sci-Fi channel officially died the day they renamed themselves. Like many other channels (Cartoon Network esp. pisses me off over this), they are becoming afraid of losing viewers and trying to have crappy shows that they stupidly think are "what's popular" and people will actually care for (when in reality, only a tiny fraction does). Even if those shows have nothing to do with the core purpose of their channel (like CN showing live-action crap, etc.).

Thus the reason I don't have cable TV anymore. It's dead to me.