Author Topic: The Official Crono Discussion Thread  (Read 3250 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Crono Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 11:30:39 pm »
It seems likely that the design team didn't even consider what happened to his father

Yeah, but consider Serge's situation, it seems they planned to create a character with similar background as Crono, at least in the very beginning of the game.

First time playing Cross, I definitely thought that Crono was Serge's father somehow, or that they had the same dad. Boy was I off.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:41 pm »
@Bekkler

Ha, that is not strange, really.

I can't stop laughing when I imagine Crono's father suddenly shows up in the final showdown with Lavos and crops its head off with an axe.

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 12:45:36 am »
I really wonder about Crono's father... maybe the planet where Guardia is was visited by Son Goku on his way back to earth after Planet Namek exploded and he had a romance with Gina XD

Sorry... I couldn't resist...

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 01:13:39 am »
Maybe. I don't think there's any other character in the entire game who has hair like that. Nor do I know of anyone else who can do 9999 damage by unleashing a burst of energy.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 01:21:15 am »
Maybe. I don't think there's any other character in the entire game who has hair like that. Nor do I know of anyone else who can do 9999 damage by unleashing a burst of energy.

Perhaps, some random Hermit?

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 02:43:43 am »
I had always figured Crono some sort of case of immaculate conception on the surface, but more in effect like a birth intentional made by the Entity.  When I first saw the scene of Crono's death, he had a lightning effect about it, and it seemed to me that he was resisting being drained by Lavos.  And when lavos couldn't drain crono, he changed gears and obliterated him instead.  Then on the quest to save Crono, one of the qualities of the Time Egg is the person must be important to Time, or rather the Entity.  So in that sense, I had assumed that Crono didn't have a dad because he was created by the Entity for the purpose of being the factor for making it possible to defeat lavos, and that's what made him important to time so that the Chrono Trigger would work for him in the first place.

-LzR-

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:25 am »
Crono is an accident and his father didn't want to have a child so he ran away. Cronos mom hates him so he she never mentions about it.  :lol:

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 02:46:54 am »
I had always figured Crono some sort of case of immaculate conception on the surface, but more in effect like a birth intentional made by the Entity.  When I first saw the scene of Crono's death, he had a lightning effect about it, and it seemed to me that he was resisting being drained by Lavos.  And when lavos couldn't drain crono, he changed gears and obliterated him instead.  Then on the quest to save Crono, one of the qualities of the Time Egg is the person must be important to Time, or rather the Entity.  So in that sense, I had assumed that Crono didn't have a dad because he was created by the Entity for the purpose of being the factor for making it possible to defeat lavos, and that's what made him important to time so that the Chrono Trigger would work for him in the first place.

You know that sounds a lot like an arguement I read on an old CT site a LOOONG time ago compairing Chrono Trigger to the Bible of Christianity (I'm not kidding and it actually had some compelling references and points such as Crono being the figure of Jesus and the Entity being God, Gina immaculately conception, Marle as Mary Magdeline, etc.)... actually you guys have it on the Compendium so... here!
Direct Theory of Gina being similar to The Virgin Mary with Immaculate Conception

Crono is an accident and his father didn't want to have a child so he ran away. Cronos mom hates him so he she never mentions about it.  :lol:

Another potential conclusion :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:53:27 am by Lady Marle »

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 04:18:46 am »
First time playing Cross, I definitely thought that Crono was Serge's father somehow, or that they had the same dad. Boy was I off.

You think you were off?  The first time I saw artwork for Kid, I assumed that she was the daughter of Crono and Marle.  Artistically, it's hard not to come to that conclusion, what with the hair and the spunk.  Kato really threw me for a loop.

I don't much like the idea of immaculate conception for Crono.  That plot device feels a little overused to me.  Crono shouldn't be the center of the universe, but rather one essential part among many.  Chrono Trigger I think works best as an ensemble.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 04:43:52 am »
You think you were off?  The first time I saw artwork for Kid, I assumed that she was the daughter of Crono and Marle.  Artistically, it's hard not to come to that conclusion, what with the hair and the spunk.  Kato really threw me for a loop.

I don't much like the idea of immaculate conception for Crono.  That plot device feels a little overused to me.  Crono shouldn't be the center of the universe, but rather one essential part among many.  Chrono Trigger I think works best as an ensemble.

Kid? Well, can't say I see how would one make that conclusion, but then again, I used to believe in the 'Miguel=Crono' theory for quite some time so...

Anyway, yeah, I agree on that about Crono. In fact, when you look it this way, reviving him is something you're not actually forced to do. Sure, the story clearly directs you that way, but at this point mostly everything you need in preparation for the final battle is already at hand. The sidequests only needed the Winged Epoch for access, the Black Omen is already there, etc.

I'm not saying he's not important to bother reviving, which, in fact, is clearly not true considering the Time Egg working and Gaspar's words; but when you do, he's no longer forced to be in the active party, he can even miss participating in the final battle, so yeah...

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 03:24:30 pm »

Lennis, I had the same problem and got REALLY excited over it. Not going to lie, I was kind of peeved when she was revealed to be "Schala's Daughter-Clone Person Type.... Thing... yeah". It kind of threw me as well XD

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 04:21:16 pm »
Crono shouldn't be the center of the universe, but rather one essential part among many.

The idea made more sense to me since I considered the game to have been named after him in the first place.  Wasn't till a couple play throughs later I thought "oh, his name doesn't have the 'h' in it"  I still do consider his name coinciding with the title (and time travel for that matter) a factor in how he, as a character, is a trigger too.

That plot device feels a little overused to me.

Video games and anime (and so forth) are rife with overused plot devices anyway.  Its the how its used and not the what is used that's more important with those.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 04:51:12 am »
Video games and anime (and so forth) are rife with overused plot devices anyway.  Its the how its used and not the what is used that's more important with those.

True, but that doesn't mean we should lean on convention.  I see Crono as a regular guy with no exceptional past other than the fact he is distantly descended from Zealians who were not completely sterilized during Lavos' anti-magic purge, and so can learn to use magic when certain conditions are met (as is the case with Lucca and Marle).  What makes Crono exceptional isn't his personal history, but how he relates with people and unites them to common purpose.  He is also fiercely protective of his friends, a personality trait he developed after witnessing the tragic death of his father as a small boy.  This determination often gives him more power than he would ordinarily have.  Normally, Lucca would be the strongest channeler of magic (not including Magus), but the greater the danger is to people Crono cares about, the greater his power becomes - which he then focuses through Melchior's spellsword to unleash attacks of incredible potency.  At one point, his desire to protect the ones he loves is so strong that he is able to open a temporal gate with his will alone, something that is normally impossible without a Chrono Trigger.  This lends credence to Gaspar's claim that Crono himself is a Chrono Trigger and has nearly limitless potential to change the future.  (Incidently, the similarities between "Crono" and "Chrono" are entirely coincidental, something I will have Lucca remark on in my novel as a bit of an inside joke.)