Author Topic: Alright guys, decision time. MP3 or Midi soundtrack!?  (Read 1534 times)

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
Alright guys, decision time. MP3 or Midi soundtrack!?
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:30:41 pm »
What do you guys want?

A very high quality soundtrack that'll sound better than the SNES version of CT? This leads to the possibility of Orchestrated music for some sections.

Or do you guys want a Midi soundtrack to lower the download size?

Or perhaps a mixture?

VOTE NOW!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Alright guys, decision time. MP3 or Midi soundtrack!?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:52:02 pm »
Do you have an estimate of how many tracks there's going to be, Lance? That'll make a big difference if MP3 is chosen. I think an extra 50~100 megabytes in package size would be worth having an orchestral soundtrack, but above that might irk some potential downloaders. Do the RPGMaker hosting sites have a max file size they allow typically?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:54:27 pm by FaustWolf »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:01:29 pm »
Well, the main problem of mixing midi with mp3 is you have to adjust the volume most time, which is not as effecient as mp3.
Many ppl rarely listen to midi and their pc have that channel at max volume. For example, a guy is wandering on the map with a beautiful mp3 track as its BGM, suddenly a battle starts and the loud midi sound blows his ears off. :lol:

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »
Hmmm.

The soundtrack currently has 61 tracks, so it'll end up being around 70.

And I try to take great care in the volume.

Bah, I may just go all Mp3.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:00:01 pm »
All mp3, be a MAN ABOUT IT! I'm doing all mp3 and my project is gonna be closer in length to Alter, but it's gonna sound beautiful!

I just feel that midi is VERY restricting when it comes to trying to build an atmosphere, whereas the higher file size allows more versatility for you, the creator. It doesn't have to sound like "obligatory video game", it can sound like the most epic film you've ever seen! And so many genres to choose from in mp3, midi almost feels like it IS its own genre.

Especially the battle music. I find myself hating midi battle music, at least when all the other music is higher quality, then the one thing out of the soundtrack you're forced to listen to over and over is the same midi. It just feels tired.

Anyway, dat's my 2 cents. The amount of extra space the game takes up is small compared to the improvements an mp3 score can make. Besides, 100-200MB? Still fits on a standard CD-R. No worries!

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »
Deal. Mp3 (well, for the most part) it is!