Author Topic: PocketGamer says Chrono Trigger will be announced for the iPhone (unconfirmed)  (Read 1587 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
According to "a source," we'll see an iPhone version of CT. I think it's within the realm of possibility, and we know how Square Enix likes to cash in on previous games again and again to pad its profit margin.
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/The+Rumour+Mine/feature.asp?c=23752

Let's see...SNES, PSX, DS. If it's true, this will be the fourth iteration of the game I've bought. Will I ever learn?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:06:15 pm by FaustWolf »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Hmm, another 2D port?
Not too exciting news, but I'm still curious.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
I'd say this seems unlikely, but SquEnix ported Final Fantasy Tactics to the iPhone too, so this certainly doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility. Oh well. No one will be hurt by another port of Chrono Trigger, though it does beg the question of why it still hasn't come out on Virtual Console.

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
I'm afraid of one thing with these multiple ports.  If they just keep porting the same game over and over people will eventually tire of buying it (despite it being a really awesome game and, personally, my favorite game ever) which will lead to low sales and no sequel.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
I'm afraid of one thing ... which will lead to ... no sequel.

I'm not afraid of that anymore. Re-re-re-re-release it however you want, SE.

What we really want is never going to come.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Yeah, I can see your worry Azure. Although, I think it's a smart strategy on SE's part given how the quality of Chrono Trigger compares to the quality of the average iPhone RPG. Visuals are about on par, and its story still blows most iPhone RPG stories out of the water -- we can thank obscenely poor quality translations for that, and maybe a "story doesn't really matter, just chuck any old thing in there" attitude among game developers nowadays. If SE wants to pump some money into it and take advantage of the iPhone 4's Retina Display, maybe we'll even get HD sprites out of this. Hah, I love wild speculation!

BTW, Secret of Mana is coming out on the iPhone soon, so SE has already proven its like of SNES-to-iPhone ports. In any case, the prediction is that we'll know by the end of this year, so we can make a call on December 31 I guess.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:05:43 pm by FaustWolf »

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
how can the iPhone itself handle the sprites from the game? will it be a port from the DS? and this is a great idea for those without the DS. Think of the money. Wait, if they're porting this, does that mean the original team is back together again? I wonder if they're up to something (Break;2012- CT iPhone; 2010?) Also, I can see Cross porting to the 3DS and perhaps a new Chrono game on the 3DS. why, if Megaman Legends 3 is getting a game, we can still have hope.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:39:20 am by Dialga_Palkia »

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
@Azure: Pretty sure porting the game wouldn't make a sequel LESS likely. If anything, it means that A) SquEnix still sees the Chrono name as marketable, and B) it could create heightened awareness of the brand among people who have never played it before.

@FaustWolf: Secret of Mana is being ported too? Is it a direct port of the US SNES version (same translation and all) or are they enhancing it in any way beyond adding iPhone controls?

@Palkia: Um... what? On multiple levels:
1) Of course the iPhone can handle the sprites from the game, it has a lot more graphical power than a DS;
2) Why would they need the original team to port the game? They didn't get the original team (aside from Masato Kato) for the DS port, and I'm guessing this version won't have any more added content than that one did. In general, you don't need the people who developed a game in order to port it.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
@FaustWolf: Secret of Mana is being ported too? Is it a direct port of the US SNES version (same translation and all) or are they enhancing it in any way beyond adding iPhone controls?
This topic was the first time I heard about this iPhone port, but a while ago, there was a port made for Japanese phones. There were some graphical enhancements.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Not entirely sure which translation of Secret of Mana SE's going to release on the iPhone. You can check it out in action here though.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
O_O...

Dang, why iPhone and not Android...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
O_O...

Dang, why iPhone and not Android...

You know how often I have to ask that question?
-motodroid rooted

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
I would not complain if this happened.

Still waiting for iPhone FFT though...

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
Still waiting for iPhone FFT though...

I thought that was released ages ago?

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
The release date was a couple months ago, but it's not in the App Store as of today.