Author Topic: Whats YOUR Favourite Game?  (Read 5436 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Whats YOUR Favourite Game?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 09:32:58 am »
If anyone's looking for a Fire Emblem-like game for the PS2, might wanna give Berwick Saga a whirl. It looks neato, though it's only in Japanese. I can't believe the amount of work that must have gone into all that sprite animation.

Looks quite like a ripoff. I wonder if it's a decent ripoff. I love seeing the sprites, though. I'd almost try to venture it if I had a PS2 D:. Although it's against my very being, I *may* get a PS2 sometime in the near future just because a friend gave me two Fatal Fury collections for my b-day somehow assuming I have a PS2. I'm not sure why she'd assume that. Grrr.

Ripoff?! The game was made by the same guy who made the first five Fire Emblem games. He had left Nintendo to work on Enterbrain, where he made this and Tearring Saga, Berwick's prequel. The similarities are intentional, in fact, they faced lawsuit from Nintendo because of it.

Zaulche

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 08:05:38 pm »
However, I suspect Zaulche's original point had more to do with the immersiveness of the environment provided by combining these details than whether or not his game of choice really was the first one to provide each one individually.

Right, I was talking about how much immersive the game is. While I have seen many games with food I believe Ultima Underworld is still the only game I played where food was required or you died. I may have to look into this Rogue game you mention if it is similar in nature.

As far as Fire Emblem, it started on the NES, then SNES, GBA, DS, and the Game Cube and Wii. As it has already been mentioned several of the GBA and DS games are remakes of older Fire Emblem Games. The two on GBA I really liked, more so than the original remake on the DS.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are good, so if you have a Wii and can play both games I would recommend them. Keep in mind in Japan they were both Game Cube Games, so even though the second was ported to America as a Wii game they were meant to be played together and it is identical graphically.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 10:44:46 pm »
Actually, Radiant Dawn is also a Wii game over there.

Zaulche

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 10:51:05 pm »
Actually, Radiant Dawn is also a Wii game over there.

I did not realise that, my mistake. I had read that when it was designed it was intended to be a game cube game. Either I misread it or it was converted to a Wii game everywhere.

Thank you for correcting me.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 12:53:54 am »
If anyone's looking for a Fire Emblem-like game for the PS2, might wanna give Berwick Saga a whirl. It looks neato, though it's only in Japanese. I can't believe the amount of work that must have gone into all that sprite animation.

Looks quite like a ripoff. I wonder if it's a decent ripoff. I love seeing the sprites, though. I'd almost try to venture it if I had a PS2 D:. Although it's against my very being, I *may* get a PS2 sometime in the near future just because a friend gave me two Fatal Fury collections for my b-day somehow assuming I have a PS2. I'm not sure why she'd assume that. Grrr.

Ripoff?! The game was made by the same guy who made the first five Fire Emblem games. He had left Nintendo to work on Enterbrain, where he made this and Tearring Saga, Berwick's prequel. The similarities are intentional, in fact, they faced lawsuit from Nintendo because of it.

HAHA! No wonder it looks like such a ripoff. That is an amusing story, thanks for enlightening XD.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 10:25:31 am »
Right, I was talking about how much immersive the game is. While I have seen many games with food I believe Ultima Underworld is still the only game I played where food was required or you died. I may have to look into this Rogue game you mention if it is similar in nature.

Rogue was one of the earliest fantasy-adventure-type video games. As a result, it has some rough edges (and no graphics whatsoever)...but most of its couple-of-hundred descendants inherited the must-eat mechanic, and some of them do have really immersive and complex environments. If you're interested in this sort of stuff, I would recommend that you try:

Nethack or its even more complex cousin Slash'em: These are probably the most like the original Rogue. Not much plot, but very complex gameplay with a lot of weird special cases. Read the manual before you start. Consider tracking down some spoilers, although at least one person has won the game without them. Be prepared to die a lot at first.

Tales of Middle Earth, AKA TOME: I haven't played this one in its present incarnation, but it looks like it's improved in almost every way over the last version I did touch.

GearHead (either the original or the unfinished GearHead2): This one actually has a plot, not just fancy gameplay mechanics and a complicated world. Includes giant robots. I'm not sure if you can actually starve to death in GearHead, because I never let any of my characters get to that point, but characters do get depressed and irritable if they're hungry (they also get grumpy if they fail at missions or get mechs shot out from under them). Puts a lot of effort into tracking your relationship with every single NPC and whether or not they like you.

Dwarf Fortress: The ultimate in immersive environments--the game's author is trying to model everything from geology to soap-making. It is an alpha, so the interface sucks and the feature-set is a moving target (at the moment, only the SimCity-like Fortress Mode works properly, but the author has promised that he'll fix the more RPG-like Adventure Mode for the next release).

Best part is, all of these games are free downloads.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 03:08:33 pm »
Is Fire Emblem for PS2? i might try it out if its for SNES

I'm not sure, but I don't think Fire Emblem has ever been out on the PS2. It's a very long series that started off with the original nintendo. The best iterations are the SNES ones and remakes of the SNES ones. My favorite one is Rekka no Ken (Also Called Fire Emblem 7, or just Fire Emblem). It was on the GBA. You can also find translated roms online of the old games that were never released. The first game released in the US was Rekka no Ken and I believe it came out around 2004. I've been meaning to play some more of them, but it's kind of hard to figure out which ones of them are the best ones to play. I also have been meaning to try the wii one.
Fire Emblem is a first party Nintendo game.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 08:00:43 am »
10-Disgaea
9-Shin Megami Tensei:Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
8-Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
7-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
6-Chrono Trigger
5-Super Metroid
4-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2-Final Fantasy VI
1-Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
  • Shadow, Sonic and Tails are FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 07:53:07 am »
10-Disgaea
9-Shin Megami Tensei:Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
8-Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
7-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
6-Chrono Trigger
5-Super Metroid
4-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2-Final Fantasy VI
1-Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Ah, you play Majora's Mask eh? is it on project 64? i might try it out someday.

Edit: OOh, you got Kingdom hearts? can you tell me if its a pretty good game?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:33:13 am by Hayden »

cantelope

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 04:32:40 am »
1. Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, and 4 though I've never completed 4 because I do not own a PS3. =(
2. Kingdom Heart series
3. Final Fantasy XI (III), VII, VIII
4. Chrono Trigger/Cross
5. Earthbound
6. Professor Layton
7. Ace Attorney

They are listed in no particular order. =]

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 09:52:30 pm »
The Chrono series...
Metal Gear Solids...
Jade Cocoon 1... 2 wasn't that good.
God of war series.
Lost Odyssey best RPG this gen.
Favorite game of all time... I don't really have a particular one... Many I can say.

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 03:27:29 am »
Final Fantasy Tactics... just going by the sheer number of hours I had invested into it.

Trebuchet

• Guardian (+100)
  • Mister Jean
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »
Chrono Trigger was always my favorite game, but Earthbound is surpassing it given it's the game of my dreams with some form of wit in every bit of dialogue and a fan base similar to our own here on the Compendium. Earthbound reminds me of Chrono Trigger in many ways, including the battle system being a refined version of standard RPG fare and the sequel, Mother 3, being apparently unrelated to Earthbound for most of the game, except for the style of the writing, certain characters, and hints thrown in throughout the game that point towards Earthbound.

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
  • "We are...the dreamers of Dreams."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 04:04:37 pm »
Yeah I tend to have favorite game series as opposed to favorite games:

Chrono Trigger & Cross
Metal Gear Solid (I haven't played 4 yet, but I'm sure its awesome)
Final Fantasy VII
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (the Zelda series in general, but this is the best in my opinion)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Diablo II
Goldeneye

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 05:21:57 am »
Hmm, favorite games.  I've thought about this, but never really very seriously.  I don't know how accurate a list this is, but it's pretty close I guess.  I know it was favorite game, but it seemed like most people were doing lists anyway.  

10: Freespace two: I had a hard time deciding for this one.  I figured it would probably be either this, Mega Man 3, or Mega Man X4.  I play the other two more, but as a whole I think I enjoy Freespace 2 more.  It's not the most well known series, but it's well worth checking out.  It's available at Good old games.com for pretty cheap.

9: Super smash bros Brawl: For this one, I really like both Brawl and Melee.  I don't normaly consider the two to be some of my favorite games, but after thinking about it, and how much I play them they really are.  That's part of the reason it's this low because, I enjoy it, but I think I find a bit more good classic gaming out of some of the higher ups.  And Brawl over Melee, mostly due to which I play more.  To be honest I don't have that much of a preference over the play style.

8: Pokemon Emerald: I've always been a huge pokemon fan.  It was practically my childhood.  Games, cards, shows, toys, and all that.  I'm sure many can relate.  This was a really hard choice, choosing between Gen two and 3.  Crystal has always been one of my favorites.  And so has Emerald.  Perhaps not quite as nostalgic, but as a game, I think it is slightly better as a whole.  I considered putting Heart Gold in here also, but then I realized that I definitely like Emerald better than Heart Gold.  It just seems like the most well rounded to me.  Crystal definitely comes second if it was about Pokemon though

7:LoZ Windwaker: The first Zelda I ever played was Oracle of seasons.  since then I've played through a few, but actually I think the only ones I've actually completed are Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of ages, Links awakening, and Windwaker.  I've started games on several of them, but those are the only ones I've completed.  Seasons is easily the most Nostalgic, but I just really love Windwaker.  I recently started replaying it, and had forgotten how much I love the game.  I've gotten a bit over half way through Ocarina, (Water temple) and it just didn't seem nearly as polished.  I know it was the first 3D Zelda, but to be perfectly honest, it seemed almost boring to me.  just, Dungeon after dungeon after dungeon it seemed.  And that's Zelda, it just seemed like there wasn't as much to it as Windwaker.  I've started Majora's mask and that shows a lot of promise, I just need to continue with it.

6: Final fantasy tactics: It'd been a long time since I'd played this.  A few days ago I started replaying this with an emulator.  Since then I've spent hours on it every day.  It's just the perfect turn based strategy game.  This game is just hard not to like.  I couldn't decide if it should go higher than this or not.  This and #5 were a real toss up.  

5: Team Fortress 2: I've actually only had this game since like June or so.  Since then I've really grown to love it.  If I were to make a list of favorite shooters, this would take #1 easily.  Granted I haven't played very many, but this still takes #1 for that.  I love the gameplay, I love the setting, I love the characters, I love the diversity, it just seems like the perfect shooter to me.  And if you get bored of one kind of player just switch to the next class. :)

4: Chrono Trigger: Needs no explanation.  The reason it's not higher than this, is because this is supposed to be the top ten of all time for me.  That's a lot.

3: Mega Man Legends: It was hard choosing between this and the #2 game.  they're both some of my favorites of all time.  Really what it came down to was preference in gaming style.  MML is third person shooter, while Cave Story is 2D sidescrolling shooter.  The funny thing is, I've always thought, that Cave Story is kind of what MML would be like if it was in 2D.  In this I really meant the whole Legends series.  Mega Man Legends 1, 2 and The misadventures of Tron Bonne.  The first game probably is the best, but I don't think that you can really take one without the others personally.

2: Cave Story: All I can say is, CheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitout!  It'sfreeIt'sfreeIt'sfreeIt'sfreeIt'sfree! http://www.cavestory.org/

1: Chrono Cross: I think I've explained this before.  I played Chrono Cross before I even knew there was a Chrono Trigger.  I really loved the game.  Really loved the game.  It was just a lot of fun.  Plus it wasn't like any RPG I'd played before with the Element system and all that.  It kind of reminded me of Tales of Symphonia at the time with how you enter a battle.  Before this most of the RPGs I'd played had more Pokemon or Final Fnatasy style random battles.  It was just all around dazzling.  I didn't understand half of it both for not having played CT and it being as complicated as well all know.  But I still really enjoyed it.  I think that's part of the reason I like it better.  For a lot of people they played CT, loved it, and saw that CC was different, so that it didn't seem the same.  Well for me it was the other way around.  I still loved CT, but that's why it's lower on the list partially.

Note: Sorry if I missed some grammar or spelling errors.  Really tired right now.

EDIT: Oh dang.  I just realized a fatal flaw in this list.  I forgot another one of my favorite series.  Man I feel stupid now.  Just insert Phoenix Wright Ace attorney (The whole series.  I can't pick just one) in between TF2 and CT.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:32:28 am by Delta Dragon »