Author Topic: Chrono Cross just might head to the 3DS in the future.  (Read 4368 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross just might head to the 3DS in the future.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 08:49:54 pm »
Shinji Hashimoto was actually the one responsible for the snide comment about people not buying enough Chrono Trigger. Horii is actually a pretty cool guy, although he's explicitly said he has no interest in returning to Chrono Trigger or anything related to it.

My mistake. Thank you for the correction!

And I'm not saying I don't WANT them to do the smart thing, and release it while CTDS is still fairly heard-of in the mainstream, or the smarter thing (Break something)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:00:51 pm by Mr Bekkler »

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 01:09:24 pm »
It doesn't look like Tose has ever ported a game newer than the 16-bit era... which may explain why SquEnix has yet to port any of its PS1 library this generation. (PSN emulations, while nice, aren't ports.)

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 01:41:45 pm »
Excuse me, but can someone answer how much the original CC data can hold?

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=145313

If it's less than eight GB, that's one hell of a game.

redandblack64

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 10:45:56 pm »
Excuse me, but can someone answer how much the original CC data can hold?

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=145313

If it's less than eight GB, that's one hell of a game.
Two PSOne disks hold about 1.4 GB, as a CD ROM can hold 700 MB. Chrono Cross has to be under 2 GB.

That article blew me away! If Square wanted to, they could rebuild Cross in full 3D, add extras like CTDS, space out the story, fix the pacing issues, and still have some extra space left! Though I imagine that game costing $35 to even $50.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 12:42:30 am »
And most things are duplicates of disc 1 in disc 2, except several rooms and CGs.
So they should be easily compressed under 1GB.

Well, but if they want to remake the CGs and music...

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 12:45:29 am »
Nintendo has said that 3DS games will be priced the same as DS games, so we can expect most of them to cost no more than $30-$40 dollars.

Also, yeah, PS1 discs generally take up well under a gigabyte of memory. By way of comparison, Final Fantasy VIII, originally a four-disc game on the PS1, takes up less than two gigabytes of space in its emulated version on PlayStation Network. So yeah, it should go without saying that the 3DS cartridge size is big enough to handle PS1 games, even multi-disc ones.

That said, I think a lot of people on this thread are kinda jumping the gun. Perhaps I should reiterate: THERE HAS BEEN NO STATEMENT OR ACTION FROM SQUARE ENIX TO EVEN REMOTELY SUGGEST THAT CHRONO CROSS, OR ANY OTHER PS1 GAME FOR THAT MATTER, IS BEING REMADE FOR 3DS. Definitely do pester them about it, but let's not get excited yet until we have something to get excited about.

redandblack64

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 05:54:25 pm »
That's true. Hasn't Chrono Trigger DS surpassed 1 million copies by now? And didn't that happen after the "If you want a sequel, buy more copies!" remark? That remake did bring  Chrono to a new generation of gamers, and gave people who missed it a chance to play it, so wouldn't it make sense to port the next game over? We haven't heard anything from Square when CTDS hit 1 million copies, have we?

ShinGundam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 02:53:40 am »
That's true. Hasn't Chrono Trigger DS surpassed 1 million copies by now? And didn't that happen after the "If you want a sequel, buy more copies!" remark? That remake did bring  Chrono to a new generation of gamers, and gave people who missed it a chance to play it, so wouldn't it make sense to port the next game over? We haven't heard anything from Square when CTDS hit 1 million copies, have we?
It is down to a very small number of producers/directors to make a decision. The real question should be asked is there anyone who want to work on Chrono series ?