Author Topic: Lavos & the Dragon Gods  (Read 2217 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Lavos & the Dragon Gods
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:05:47 pm »
I remember reading somewhere that the Dragon God(s) was being manipulated/controlled by Lavos in an attempt to secure the Frozen Flame. According to Belthasar,
The actual Dragon God was consumed long ago ... Integrated by the entity known as Lavos ...

Whether the six remaining avatars were free willed or not the game does not explain. However, if they were being influenced by Lavos, here are some examples to back up my point:

1) We know for a fact the Dragons Gods were themselves manipulating Serge and Lynx in an attempt to steal the Frozen Flame. Harle was created for this purpose.
2) According to theory, Harle was created from the basis of Schala, whom Lavos is integrated with. As such, Lavos may have had a hand in Harle's birth.
3) The Dragon God(s) harbors a deep hatred for humans, similar to Lavos. Its final form also shares an appearance to Lavos.

So suppose the Dragon God was not borrowing these details from Lavos, but instead Lavos was giving them to it? It would finally present a reasoning behind some unexplained motives of the Dragon God, as well as mean that Lavos played an active role in the events of Chrono Cross.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:08:01 pm by Kodokami »

idioticidioms

Re: Lavos & the Dragon Gods
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »
Actually, if I remember correctly, the actual dragon god was split into seven pieces and Harle was the seventh piece. Also, if I remember correctly, the seven dragon gods that made up the one dragon were working with nature to prevent Lavos from obtaining the frozen flame. I do have room to be wrong, though. It's been a while since I've finished a game of Chrono Cross.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:12:55 pm »
Not quite. After the original Dragon God was defeated in the Polis War, FATE divided it into six parts only.
   In order to control the natural energy itself, FATE divided the one Dragon God entity up into 6 weaker plasma life-forms...
Harle wasn't created until 1006 AD, when Serge came into contact with the Frozen Flame.
   The child the others created on the night of the electric storm that temporarily caused FATE to loosen its hold on them...

The Dragon God(s), presumably, had no knowledge of Lavos. If anything, the Flame was stolen to prevent FATE from having it, as it was FATE who originally used the Flame to split the Dragon God. However, you are correct in that the Dragon God was working with the planet. But I wonder, is it too much to assume that, if being controlled by Lavos, it could still act on its primary objective?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:51 pm »
The FF influences time, yes? Could we say that when the FF split the dragon god into its six parts, it sent the future of the whole to the DBT? If so, then the combined Dragon God fused with Lavos, but not the individual parts, meaning that as long as they remained separate, the remained free(-ish). After all, I don't think we see any indication that the individual dragon gods were working on behalf of the TD (just, against FATE)

Though that begs the question: in the DBT, we see Lavos and Schala merging. Since the Dragon God isn't so presented, should we assume that it already merged, or did it perhaps get integrated by Lavos is a fundamentally different way? Was the DG necessary for the creation of the TD?

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:44:59 pm »
Does Lavos want to secure the Frozen Flame? I didn't have that impression, though it's possible given the "backup plan" theory of the TD. I thought it was moreso that the Arbiter was somehow key to the evolution into the TD.

Apologies if this has been settled.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »
The FF influences time, yes? Could we say that when the FF split the dragon god into its six parts, it sent the future of the whole to the DBT? If so, then the combined Dragon God fused with Lavos, but not the individual parts, meaning that as long as they remained separate, the remained free(-ish). After all, I don't think we see any indication that the individual dragon gods were working on behalf of the TD (just, against FATE)

Though that begs the question: in the DBT, we see Lavos and Schala merging. Since the Dragon God isn't so presented, should we assume that it already merged, or did it perhaps get integrated by Lavos is a fundamentally different way? Was the DG necessary for the creation of the TD?

Very interesting. I don't remember the FF itself being capable of influencing time, but noting its other abilities and its relation to Lavos, I think this is certainly possible.

As for why the DG isn't located in the DBT... The DG is a biological machine, and can take on any form it chooses. Lavos could have easily utilized this (possibly explaining why the TD looks radically different from its previous form). The DG may also have given new powers to Lavos, such as Elements (though it could be assumed Lavos already had these, in the form of Magic). Or, perhaps when the dragon gods of El Nido reunited, the real DG was released from the TD. In any case, I don't think the DG was necessary for the TD's creation, but was instead at least necessary for its goals.

Does Lavos want to secure the Frozen Flame? I didn't have that impression, though it's possible given the "backup plan" theory of the TD. I thought it was moreso that the Arbiter was somehow key to the evolution into the TD.

That's what I would like to know. Might I suggest this topic by Thought?
-- http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,5571.0.html --
He offers another theory of the FF's origin, as well as of Lavos' relations to it. But you are correct that an Arbiter (Serge) is necessary, or at least beneficial, to the TDs evolution.