Author Topic: So, I Had This Interesting Dream...  (Read 13337 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
So, I Had This Interesting Dream...
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:12:19 pm »
No, not me. Not at the moment, anyhow. Rather, this is the thread you can post in when those words apply to you. This topic is Sajainta Approved and endorsed over The Other Leading Topic by four out of five Radical Dreamers.

Remember, the dreams we have when we are asleep are not like the ones we have when we are awake, with some exceptions in instances of heavy fixation. When we wish for our dreams to come true, that's the waking ones we're usually talking about. The world would be an interesting place if it were the other kind.

*is eagerly awaiting Dream VR*

Anyhow, this is the place to write about your sleeping dreams.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: So, I Had This Interesting Dream...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:21:20 am »
I had a dream recently in which I was wandering around some kind of abandoned car lot in a dystopian future. I fell asleep in the back seat of one of the cars, and then some local miscreants pounced on the car, demanding that I give them cigarettes. The situation resolved itself when none other than Brad Pitt -- in full Aldo Raine characterization and dress, no less -- hopped into the driver's seat, gave everyone cigarettes, and drove me out of there.

I've started a habit of attempting to trace elements of my dreams to real world impressions that might have helped generate them, and this one was rife with my own fears about the economy. Once I started the process of working backward from the dream, I found that it had helped me remember specific economic data released within the past 24 hours before I had the dream. As such, I've started to wonder whether dreams might reflect some form of biological data compression. If so, it certainly may not be perfect, seeing as Inglorious Basterds got thrown in there for no reason.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:14:53 pm by FaustWolf »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:20:03 pm »
lol you can always count on Brad Pitt to save the day.

I have a lot of reoccurring dreams that I have pretty often, but always with some kind of variant. Last night, it was one of my reoccurring dreams where I'm back in High School and failing all my classes. I don't really remember the details, but it was really annoying because I always have dreams specifically about that. Not about when I was in uni and actually was failing all my classes in the real world, but in a supposed time in High School where I was having a miserable time. How odd. My other reoccurring dreams have to do with this guy from High School who always pops up in my dreams, and then me smoking cigarettes and profoundly enjoying it. I hope I never develop that habit D: .

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:02 am »
Here's a cool dream I had a few years ago::

I dreamt that I was the child of an angel and a demon, and was prophesied to be the Antichrist (yes, a female Antichrist.  XD).  Because of this, God ordered me to be hidden away in the depths of Purgatory for eternity so that I would never bring about the Apocalypse.  I was raised by one of the descendants of Abraham who had withered away and was nothing but a stooped skeleton shrouded in clothing.  His name was Iotha.  I didn't have a name, but I had beautiful white wings that I would use to fly and glide around the sanctuary.  I was not allowed to leave.

I had a double personality.  Amicable, serious, and wise in one instance, then demonic in another.  In the dream, I grabbed Iotha by the throat, lifted him up with strength surprising for a female, and started to speak in a manner unlike my own.  A deep, raspy, malicious, evil voice echoed and vibrated throughout the room.

"I am going to suck out your soul through your very blood.  Do you not know that the Devil will win, that he will conquer everything you hold dear?  That he will slit the throat of your beloved Christ in front of you?"

I had no control over which side was going to surface.

I grew restless and bored, trapped within the confines of a small area.  Against Iotha's wishes, I sneaked out and befriended one of the "inhabitants" of Purgatory--a knight from the Crusades who had not yet earned his right to Heaven (even after almost a millennia).  His name was William Blackwell.  He taught me about the "upper world" where he had once lived so long ago (Earth), a place I had no idea existed.  A place that he longed to return to in order to right his wrongs with the descendants of the people he slaughtered during the Crusades, in hopes of earning forgiveness for his sins.  Enchanted with this upper world, we made a plan to go there.

I had no idea that I was the future Antichrist.  I knew nothing else but the world I lived in and the far-off screams from Hell that I would hear at night while trying to sleep.  I wanted to see what was beyond Purgatory, what Iotha had kept hidden from me for my entire life.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:36:43 am by Sajainta »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:46:17 pm »
Neat. Sounds almost like a full fledged story, Saj!

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:53:50 pm »
I know, right?  I was so mad when my alarm clock woke me up.  I wanted to see the rest of the dream!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:18:30 pm »
Christian mythology certainly is good fodder for dream imagery and other story pictures. I hate waking up in the middle of a good dream, so I share your frustration. On the other hand, waking up in the middle of a dream makes it a lot easier to remember, which is some consolation.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 07:12:14 pm »
That is really a cool dream. So many of my dreams would make awesome novels or movies if I could ever remember them. I tend not to remember dreams past the first day. So I guess I will document a dream I had this morning right now. I usually only remember my morning dreams, because I wake up early in the morning from some thing or another, then when I realize it's too early, I go back to sleep and that is when I have my dreams.

So as far as I could remember, my dream had to do with my grandma, and this internet friend.

The beginning of the dream had to do with  me visiting my internet friend's house and he treated me really badly for some reason. He was really mean, and I think tried to rape me, so I ran away in the middle of the night and left my shoes there.

Next scene is me taking care of my Alzheimer's grandma who wanted to go on this walk along the coast. Somehow my internet friend popped up again. I asked him why he treated me so badly and he said that he was sorry and wouldn't treat me badly, but was offended because I said that he was a loser for not doing anything with his life. So he ended up taking this long walk with me and grandma while grandma was all confused about where we were going. Eventually me and the internet friend had a discussion about education and careers. I think dad might have been in this dream too, but wasn't so prominent in it. I think he was helping to take grandma on the walk.

Dammit, I spend so much of my time day dreaming about Snape and his Snapeliness, why the hell can't I ever have a dream about him?! I also never dream about my bf. I remember once having a dream about him where we had sex on this giant wall, but that was the only dream he's ever showed up in, I think.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:11 pm »
I've had quite a few Harry Potter-related dreams (including some about Snape) over the past decade, but none of them are really memorable.  One of my brother's worst nightmares was about Hermione's face melting off.

I dream about my boyfriend a lot.  One reoccurring dream I have is of me being with someone else, but desperately wanting to be with my boyfriend and wondering why the hell I'm dating [insert other person here] and not D.  I like those dreams, because I wake up next to D and realize that the guy of my dreams is quite literally the guy of my dreams.  ;)

idioticidioms

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 04:01:44 am »
I've had a lot of very vivid, very interesting dreams since I quit smoking weed and drinking. Next one I have, I'll share.

I do have a kind of unique experience in dreaming that nobody has been able to explain or match so far.

Lately, I've been reminded of something that I can not find any answers for and never have been able to. Throughout my entire life thus far, I have had one long dream series, spread out over many years. It is in chronological sequence, never backtracking, and they have always been accurate to how much time had passed between them.

It started when I was a kid. I had a dream of this old beaten down, white house with fading paint and a tire swing in the front yard. I would play with this little girl that lived there, though I don't think I was supposed to. I had a couple of dreams like this where we had fun and played around and shared little kid secrets and then one dream came where she came to me and told me she that her family was moving away.

She didn't reappear in my dreams for a long while. When she did, it was for a couple dreams, in a new house, in a different place altogether, and then she had to go. She said she couldn't stay there any longer. The next dream didn't come until a couple years later. I was walking through a shipyard, past the rows of crates, and this was before I even knew what a shipyard was, but somehow I managed to create how it looked perfectly, even down to the details of the crates being different colors of red and blue and various others. I was walking through the shipyard and I saw her again. We talked for a few minutes and then she had to go to catch her boat.

That was the last dream I had in the series. This has been the only dream series I have ever had, and each dream has been remarkably vivid.

Since I've been sober again, I've been dreaming more, though I've been sleeping less, and I've had two more dreams in sequence, and there is a girl in them. I can not say for sure that it is the same one, though it seems very likely that it is. It has been.... almost 10 years since that dream of the shipyard, which has been exactly how long I've been smoking pot. See, when I smoke pot, I sleep more, but I dream a lot less.

In the first dream that I've had recently, we were lovers. We kissed and there was a deep love between us. Deeper than any I have ever known. It felt like we had known each other our entire lives.

The second dream I've had, which is the most recent and by far the most memorable, we started out having sex. Through the course of the dream, I met some unsavory people that she was stuck associating with. They came after me with threats of some kind. I can't remember now. We made a sort of compromise. I would help them earn money by selling their pot at my upcoming birthday party, to all of the people who showed up and I would take a 30% cut of the profits. In real life, my birthday is in April, so this is a bit off of real life time. Well, they didn't want me selling their drugs without being able to handle people who didn't want to pay, so they sent two goons to attack me and I was forced to protect myself with two knives I had found laying on the floor of an abandoned house.

One knife was sharp and thin and slid right into the flesh. The other was not so sharp and ridged, so it took a lot of force to shove into things. The first guy came at me, and I stabbed him about 6 or 7 times in the stomach and chest before being able to get his heart. Then the other guy came at me and I only had to stab him 3 or 4 times before hitting the heart. The dream was so vivid that I can still feel the way those knives felt in my hands.

I met up with the other guys a while later and they congratulated me on passing their test, but then told me that the girl had been taken by some bad business partners of theirs and they wanted me to go get her back. I was woken up by the phone ringing as I was standing outside of a compound looking at a sophisticated set up of mercenaries with guns.

There are more details to the dream than that, but I don't remember them accurately enough to explain them. Needless to say, I woke up pretty shaken. Not as shook up as the first time I've killed someone in a dream, but pretty shook up.

I don't know what this is. All I see pertaining to dreams is that same old bullshit for interpreting dreams that has always been around. Nobody I have ever talked to has had dreams anywhere near to this caliber or on such a grand scale as to be a dream series lasting an entire life. The fact that they are chronologically ordered and accurate to the length of time between them is even odder.

My question is, have any of you ever had anything like this or know anybody that has?

I feel pretty silly, but I can't help but expect to eventually run into this girl throughout the course of my life. I imagine that she won't recognize me, but I'll recognize her somehow. I imagine that she'll try walking away from me and I'll stop her and she'll get rude with me and I'll say that I've been dreaming of her my entire life and she'll get startled by it, but not much and look at me closer and say the same thing.

I feel kind of stupid saying that, but I can't help but hope. The dreams really ARE that vivid.

Most other dreams I have that are vivid take place in garbled versions of places I know in real life, but these dreams have always taken place in places I've never been before, and seem more real than any other dream. I want to know what this is and I can find nothing dealing with it.

In a lot of the dreams that I'm having these days, they are so vivid that it seems that I actually am there. In one dream I had the other night, I had the thought 'what if this is a dream'? So I tested it and I actually felt with my foot, could feel the pressure as I pressed it against an object, I was actually hearing the voices of the other people, seeing in pure color and high quality to the point where I can still remember the faces of the people I saw even though I had never seen them before in my life. Even with my nightmares where I wake up feeling that 'wtf' vibe, I enjoy the pure vividness of it all, even the confusing aspects.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:13:49 am »
My question is, have any of you ever had anything like this or know anybody that has?

Yes, I have.  Since I was 9 I've had my own "series" of dreams that have happened chronologically, becoming progressively more and more horrific and vivid (although they've always been vivid).  The last one I had in the "series" was about a year ago.  I have them every once in a while, and I write them down as soon as I wake up, even if it profoundly disturbs me to do so.  It's like this bizarre, twisted, fucked-up memoir.

In one dream I had the other night, I had the thought 'what if this is a dream'? So I tested it and I actually felt with my foot, could feel the pressure as I pressed it against an object

I remember the first time I did that.  I was 5.  I was having a dream that I lived with the Gummi Bears (my favourite show at the time), and I was so excited.  I started to worry that it could be a dream, so I pinched myself to make sure.  I felt pain and was ecstatic that I wasn't making this dream up.  And then shortly afterward I woke up for school.  Boy, was I pissed.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »

It's the stuff that dreams are made of.  :lol:

But seriously, some great fiction series can come out of people's dreams. Kind of like what Sajainta said about her dreams happening chronologically.

By the way, has anyone here had a dream that consisted of everyone involved speaking entirely in a foreign language? A couple of years ago, I had a dream where everyone was speaking entirely in French. Must've been because I was taking a French class at the time, but the details are far too hazy for me to remember. But I do remember that one detail, and I hated not being able to comprehend everything.

Still, I think it sucks that I sometimes might have had a really awesome dream and I forget it within the next day. It's because I can never bring myself to write these things down. My subconscious is telling me something, but I don't know what! Speak to me, subconscious mind! Speak, I say!

*Sigh* Anyway, can you relate to that or what?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:19:07 pm »
By the way, has anyone here had a dream that consisted of everyone involved speaking entirely in a foreign language? A couple of years ago, I had a dream where everyone was speaking entirely in French. Must've been because I was taking a French class at the time, but the details are far too hazy for me to remember. But I do remember that one detail, and I hated not being able to comprehend everything.

Those dreams are so annoying because, as you said, you can't understand anything!  I've had dreams in which people were speaking entirely in French (when I didn't know French very well) and in German (I took German for a year when I was 13).  Now, was it ACTUAL French and German?  I doubt it--probably just bits and pieces of sentences mixed in with words that sounded French and German.  I certainly didn't know enough of either language to have an actual dream in a foreign language.  Now that I know French much better, I have dreams in French on occasion.  I frequently have dreams in Cebuano.

You should keep a dream diary next to your bed.  If you get into habit of writing down your dreams, I'm sure it will become like second nature.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 11:29:09 pm »
Hmm, I don't recall I had any video game related dreams. Almost all of them were mixure of boring daily life. LOL
I used to keep a dream diary, but I don't do that now. It seems when I want to write them down, I have dreams quite often, but when I ignore them, I find myself just dreamless.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 02:24:03 am »
The only video game dream I ever had (that I remember) was after playing Secret of Mana for the first time. The game play of that is still probably my favorite of any SNES era game (and a good bit beyond). However, of interesting dreamnesses, I've noticed that my dreams are very local-centered. That is, often the location of a dream becomes the focus of a dream. The usual pattern, as far as I can recall, is that a dream will be going along, a location will be passed through, and then I will later return to that location (usually after a seemingly brief absence) and then spend the rest of the dream exploring that location. The oldest instance I can recall was a very pleasant forest, of no particular note except the lovely green light that filtered in from the tops of the trees. Then there was a tunnel/cavern that was navigated entirely by mine cart (usually with the ground nowhere to be seen, so I was zooming around in a cart seeing little but the occasional rocky wall or roof). Curiously, I recently had a dream again of a cavern network, but the former was quite dry and this one was most alive with water that was still carving it out. There have been buildings (houses, quite often, but large expansive houses), the most recent of which was a school (much like my elementary school, but for a university).