Author Topic: Chrono Cross Fan game  (Read 21350 times)

TimePhazer

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Linkin Park Rocks! Agree Or Be Assimilated
    • View Profile
Chrono Cross Fan game
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »
There are all these people making chrono trigger fan projects and some people even making radical dreamers projects but no one has made a chrono cross project. I'm saying this because i really loved chrono cross and how much storyline there is behind it and i thought if lance can make such cool games like chrono alter and his new work in progress chrono trigger 2 time's eclipse why can't someone make a game about serge. i would do it my self but I'm only a novice with rpg maker.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Fan game
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:36 pm »
The biggest problem is probably resources, though it looks like TheMage could contribute some Harle sprites!

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:01:47 am »
I've often considered making a Chrono Cross centered game. Trust me; I'd LOVE to do one. The problem I've run into is the fact that in the end, Serge completely forgets his adventure, making it very difficult to make a direct sequel like you could with a Trigger centered game. Another big thing is that Cross has a very different playing style than Trigger, and that is very difficult to replicate or modify in the RPG Maker engine. And last but not least, like Faust said, there is a massive lack of resources.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:32:03 am »
If it's any help, I'm making a space age Chrono series.

idioticidioms

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:38:17 am »
You could always make a sequel to CC even with Serge not being able to remember his adventure. It's really easy to get around that by starting the story off like that and then having it center around him trying to remember it as he's thrust into events beyond his control.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:39:07 am »
The graphics are deffinately a big problem. Not only are there limited resources, RPG maker 2003 can only handle so much. The 3Dish aspect of Chrono cross would have to be toned down for it to be made in rpg maker 2003. For example here are some maps and sprites i've done:

I really like the El Nido over world map (guardia castle should say Termina XD) but the other two maps - Kid doesnt seem to fit with the background. In order to do a chrono cross sequel in rpg maker the graphics would have to be toned down, and re-made and most people don't want to do that. For instance all the players would have to be sprited like Kid is, and all the area's made with lower graphics.

Of course a cross sequel fan game could be made in another engine, but I cant think of one. Tell you what if someone thinks of a plot and is serious about it, i'll do the graphics, as long as they write the story :D

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:36:01 am »
why not xp or VX? my machine with 2k3  :cry:...

BUT these are wery near pictures at CC!?

TimePhazer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 06:13:41 pm »
Like I said in my first post I'm only a novice with rpg maker 2003 but i might be able to contribute to the storyline. if we get an actual team behind this it might happen. I'm gonna go pull out chrono cross right now for some inspiration :lol: and themage that world map looks great!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:15:49 pm by TimePhazer »

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 12:22:51 am »
why not xp or VX? my machine with 2k3  :cry:...

BUT these are wery near pictures at CC!?

xp or VX could work, though we'd have to have someone with knowledge of the script language. for example the xp battles aren't like chrono trigger, it just shows a characters picture instead of ur character moving around, (however this can be changed due to scripts) I think the language is java hmm.

Like I said in my first post I'm only a novice with rpg maker 2003 but i might be able to contribute to the storyline. if we get an actual team behind this it might happen. I'm gonna go pull out chrono cross right now for some inspiration :lol: and themage that world map looks great!

Thanks,  the world map is pretty exciting, its the other maps i'm not too fond of. A fan game could be done, but we will need some helping hands. You provide the story i'll see what my skills (or lack their of) in rpg maker can do! :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:27:25 am by TheMage »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:56:59 am »
The good side for RMXP or VX spriting is they both support PNG32, 24bit RGB plus an alpha channel. So you can even render your 3d models and the anti-aliasing effect is still there.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 03:23:59 am »
The good side for RMXP or VX spriting is they both support PNG32, 24bit RGB plus an alpha channel. So you can even render your 3d models and the anti-aliasing effect is still there.

oh! That deffinately is a plus! I don't have any cross models though. . . however i'm sure there easy to find? (maybe?) I cooould just sprite them though.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 06:42:21 am »
The fact that RMVX/XP uses Ruby makes the chance of me using it debatable. Ruby has slow memory management, but I crave the customization.

TimePhazer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:53:10 pm »
first things first we need a name for the game

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:41:47 pm »
Don't worry I have half the name figured out!!!!

Chrono ________

^_^

Well, all joking aside, the chrono trigger and the chrono cross are actually phsyical objects, so the name of the fan made sequel could follow the tradition, or be something else entirely.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:26:21 pm by TheMage »

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 04:26:11 am »
So I've discovered I royally suck at 3D characters! I can sprite 2D ones just fine but 3Dish - well - it was bad, but I played with RPG maker XP lookie:

and more: http://img828.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=harle.png