Author Topic: Where to start for custom built PCs?  (Read 1262 times)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start for custom built PCs?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 08:51:41 pm »
No, didn't know about that one (that's one of the nice things about computers--there's always something new to learn).

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 08:52:56 pm »
Ah, well... my Vista DVD came in both 32/64 flavors. My concern about upgrade DVDs though is whether they delete Vista-specific crap in the process or if C:\Windows will still hold a lot of Vista crap that 7 doesn't need.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 08:54:46 pm »
Any of the people here that have been offering me advice have IM? I'd really like to try a live chat instead of waiting hours-days between replies.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »
On this topic, I have some questions for my own selfish needs...

I am not a computer guy. I barely understand the system requirements, etc required for computer gaming. For the most part, I'm an Apple guy (it's a world where graphic cards mean little). As such, I've been itching to play Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on a PC and recently acquired an old Dell. Of course I have to spruce it up and I've been looking into updating the RAM / Graphics Card, etc. Does anyone have any experience or any tips when it comes to doing PC upgrades?

At the moment I'm trying to force myself into the computer; my father in law wiped the computer and gave it to me. However, he's forgotten the Administrator password and I'm trying to break past it in order to log in. Not fun.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 08:22:50 pm »
@Boo: First of all, what kind of Dell? The model number should be visible somewhere on the exterior of the case, and knowing it would help a great deal in terms of narrowing down what kind of hardware is already inside--the existing motherboard will affect what kinds of RAM/graphics cards/etc. you can stuff in.

Secondly, if there's an administrator password in place (I'm assuming that you're talking about a Windows and not a BIOS password), your father-in-law did not completely wipe the comp. If you have whatever system restore discs Dell provided with the machine, you might consider wiping it really completely (that is, reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS). Don't try this if you don't have the restore media, however. (That also assumes that there are restore media, since some manufacturers have gotten lazy these days and ship with the restore stuff in a separate partition on the hard drive.)

@PSZ: I'm afraid not. From the looks of it, Ramsus is more knowledgeable than I am anyway.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 11:35:16 pm »
Well I decided to get:

- Intel Core i7 930
- Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard (probably will need it for WoW)
- ATX mid-tower case
- ATI Radeon HD 5770

As far as I know though, I'm far from complete. ATI Radeon HD 5770 seems to be the newest card that's cost effective at $160, with 5970 being the best but at $700. The specs look pretty good too: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5770/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-specifications.aspx

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 12:49:01 am »
Alrighty... So I was able to download some unofficial software and erase the Administrator passwords, effectively solving that problem. Now I can log in to the computer. Woo-hoo! This is what I have discovered:

This computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 (it's old).

It has Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.
It also has a Pentium 4 CPU with 2.80 GHz, 512MB of RAM.

I've looked at the minimum / recommended specs required for Oblivion on the PC, and this computer doesn't meet the requirements at all. Is it easy to just buy a new Pentium Processor and install it? That in addition to a gaming video card should get me up and running, right? Or is it not that simple.

Darn you, computers. Before this is over I'll be a pro (or just more knowledgeable).

EDIT: I've done a little research and it looks like it's super difficult to replace a CPU. Darn. Maybe I should just buy a new computer...?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:56:33 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 04:31:24 am »
Putting together PCs is rather easy these days. Mostly insert slot A into slot B type of things. Pretty useful to learn on your own, even if you're not a computer enthusiast. My new one was just built yesterday and I ordered everything from newegg. Ended up being about 560 dollars. I'm so done with laptops D:.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:22 am »
Alrighty... So I was able to download some unofficial software and erase the Administrator passwords, effectively solving that problem. Now I can log in to the computer. Woo-hoo! This is what I have discovered:

This computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 (it's old).

It has Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.
It also has a Pentium 4 CPU with 2.80 GHz, 512MB of RAM.

I've looked at the minimum / recommended specs required for Oblivion on the PC, and this computer doesn't meet the requirements at all. Is it easy to just buy a new Pentium Processor and install it? That in addition to a gaming video card should get me up and running, right? Or is it not that simple.

Darn you, computers. Before this is over I'll be a pro (or just more knowledgeable).

EDIT: I've done a little research and it looks like it's super difficult to replace a CPU. Darn. Maybe I should just buy a new computer...?

Check what kind of memory that computer uses and pick up some cheap 1GB sticks (2-packs of Crucial memory sell on Newegg for less than $40). That 2-pack will give you four times as much memory as you have now. Then install Windows 7 on it. That'll make it a very useable, modern computer for most tasks.

If you want, you can stick one of these ($130) inside and power it back on, but you'll probably also need to replace the power supply (costs maybe $50), and that can be a real pain depending on the case (take a look at it first). It's not hard, but it is kind of tedious sometimes.

After that though, your hand-me-down computer should be a pretty decent PC gaming machine. I'd be willing to bet Oblivion would play great on it with all the settings on high.

Not bad for $220, plus you could buy any new, cheap $400 multi-core desktop PC and stick that video card in to turn it into an even more powerful gaming machine that can run all the newest games.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 08:32:57 am »
- Intel Core i7 930
- Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard (probably will need it for WoW)
- ATX mid-tower case
- ATI Radeon HD 5770

Taking this into mind, well... I'm still lost about the rest of the stuff -- CD/DVD drive/burner, hard drive brand, external drive brand... My dad says he has a 27" HD monitor in mind for me and keyboards shouldn't be hard, unless I am to avoid some brand of monitor/keyboard.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 11:53:04 pm »
Except for the hard drive, memory, and power supply (which may be included with the case anyway), everything else is just shopping for the cheapest deals you can find. With the hard drive, memory, and PSU, brand and model reputation is important (look at the negative reviews before buying). Then also with the power supply, make sure it has enough power and all the connections you'll need.

You should also consider getting a custom CPU heatsink/fan combination instead of using the stock one that comes with the processor. In fact, if it's OEM, you'll probably need your own CPU fan anyway.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:55 am »
Well, I read nothing about fans in the processor I mentioned above, so I guess not.