Author Topic: Whats YOUR Favourite Game?  (Read 5432 times)

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
Re: Whats YOUR Favourite Game?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 05:50:57 pm »
Also worth mentioning are The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, two of my all-time favorite handheld games.

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
  • Shadow, Sonic and Tails are FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 05:59:12 pm »
Also worth mentioning are The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, two of my all-time favorite handheld games.

Hopefully that legend of zelda game is not that Painful Fairie one, i think its the Ocariona of Time, i saw a Mint Shield of the Ocariona of Time (The legend of Zelda ) its a painful game if your a starter.

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 05:16:37 am »
I have so many. My favorite game is Super Mario RPG. I love Chrono Trigger. I love the Wario Land games, Kirby Super Star, Sonic Adventure 2, the Mortal Kombat series, and Zelda Twilight Princess.

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 02:52:57 pm »
I have so many. My favorite game is Super Mario RPG. I love Chrono Trigger. I love the Wario Land games, Kirby Super Star, Sonic Adventure 2, the Mortal Kombat series, and Zelda Twilight Princess.

Super mario RPG is Boring for me, i am stuck on that Battle those twin brothers thing at the way beginning they are just to overpowered!!

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 04:56:31 pm »

Super mario RPG is Boring for me, i am stuck on that Battle those twin brothers thing at the way beginning they are just to overpowered!!
Are you being serious? To defeat the Hammer Bros, make sure that Mario is at least at level 2 or higher. And don't forget to block there attacks, and have some recovery items.

Zaulche

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 03:48:08 pm »
I really like many games, and could make lists as some have that would also include many of the same games. But if I had to pick an absolute favorite it would be the Ultima Underworld Series (The Stygian Abyss and Labyrinth of Worlds).

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 04:47:04 am »
Obviously CT, but I guess other than that, FF6, most Zelda games, and Fire Emblem...7 probably. As for Mario games, it would probably be 2. Favorite platformer is Donkey Kong Country 2. I'm also very partial to Red Alert 2. As for fighting games... that one is hard, but probably King of Fighters 1998 or 2002 and possibly Street Fighter 4.  Guess that's about it for favorites.

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31:32 am »
I really like many games, and could make lists as some have that would also include many of the same games. But if I had to pick an absolute favorite it would be the Ultima Underworld Series (The Stygian Abyss and Labyrinth of Worlds).

Umm.... care to describe the game? it sounds pretty cool

Obviously CT, but I guess other than that, FF6, most Zelda games, and Fire Emblem...7 probably. As for Mario games, it would probably be 2. Favorite platformer is Donkey Kong Country 2. I'm also very partial to Red Alert 2. As for fighting games... that one is hard, but probably King of Fighters 1998 or 2002 and possibly Street Fighter 4.  Guess that's about it for favorites.

Is Fire Emblem for PS2? i might try it out if its for SNES

Zaulche

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:22 pm »
Certainly. For reference there are links to The Stygian Abyss and Labyrinth of Worlds

It was intended more as a simulation than a straight RPG, even though it is very much an RPG. It is a first person perspective RPG that came out around the same time as Doom but it did a lot of firsts in video games (at least for Dos PC first person games).

For example, it was the first game to allow you to look up and down. Your character got hungry and tired and had to eat and sleep. Torches would actually get used up and burn out. There were many items that were there for realism that served no mechanical purpose (like silverware, stuff that is now common in games like the elder scrolls). Items interacted with each other (so if you used a torch on an ear of corn it made popcorn) and there was physics (so if you dropped and item it would bounce). There were also different modes of attacking that was based on where on the screen you initiated the attack and how you moved the mouse (so you could stab, slash, or bash with every weapon).

One of the things I liked the most was that many characters were unique. You could get through a good portion of the game without killing anything by bartering, bluffing, or threatening your way through NPCs that each had different motivations and aspirations.

So when I see generic hack and slashes or bare bones railroad RPGs sometimes it baffles me that 18 years ago we were able to create some of the most immersing games I have ever played. I wonder sometimes why it seems like we are going backwards instead of forwards when it comes to RPGs. There are greats of course (like Bethesda and Bioware games) but compared to how many total are out there it still seems like a small amount.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 06:06:53 pm »
I thought Marathon was the first game that allowed you to look up and down? Or was that just the first shooter?

Zaulche

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 11:42:52 am »
I thought Marathon was the first game that allowed you to look up and down? Or was that just the first shooter?

I checked out Marathon on Wikipedia and it says it came out in 1994, two years after Ultima Underworld. Therefore, I would say that Marathon is the first shooter that lets you look up and down, but not the first game.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 02:14:41 pm »
And getting hungry and eating in video games has a very long history, going back at least to the original Rogue, c. 1980. However, I suspect Zaulche's original point had more to do with the immersiveness of the environment provided by combining these details than whether or not his game of choice really was the first one to provide each one individually.

The truth seems to be that major game producers seem to be of the opinion that flashy graphics and novel interfaces sell better than story in games. I don't like it either, but I expect that the pendulum will swing back eventually.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:02 am »
Is Fire Emblem for PS2? i might try it out if its for SNES

I'm not sure, but I don't think Fire Emblem has ever been out on the PS2. It's a very long series that started off with the original nintendo. The best iterations are the SNES ones and remakes of the SNES ones. My favorite one is Rekka no Ken (Also Called Fire Emblem 7, or just Fire Emblem). It was on the GBA. You can also find translated roms online of the old games that were never released. The first game released in the US was Rekka no Ken and I believe it came out around 2004. I've been meaning to play some more of them, but it's kind of hard to figure out which ones of them are the best ones to play. I also have been meaning to try the wii one.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 01:45:32 am »
If anyone's looking for a Fire Emblem-like game for the PS2, might wanna give Berwick Saga a whirl. It looks neato, though it's only in Japanese. I can't believe the amount of work that must have gone into all that sprite animation.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 01:54:37 am »
If anyone's looking for a Fire Emblem-like game for the PS2, might wanna give Berwick Saga a whirl. It looks neato, though it's only in Japanese. I can't believe the amount of work that must have gone into all that sprite animation.

Looks quite like a ripoff. I wonder if it's a decent ripoff. I love seeing the sprites, though. I'd almost try to venture it if I had a PS2 D:. Although it's against my very being, I *may* get a PS2 sometime in the near future just because a friend gave me two Fatal Fury collections for my b-day somehow assuming I have a PS2. I'm not sure why she'd assume that. Grrr.