Author Topic: Radiant Historia: Latest Innovation in Video Game Time Travel  (Read 697 times)

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
Radiant Historia: Latest Innovation in Video Game Time Travel
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:18:44 pm »
So Atlus Japan recently announced a new DS game called Radiant Historia, a spiritual sequel (made by the same developers) to Square Enix's Radiata Stories on PS2. I didn't play that game and this one didn't really look unusually interesting either, so I didn't really pay attention. But now there's a development that has me intrigued, and should catch the attention of any Chrono fan: the game will feature a time-travel mechanic that seems quite a bit like the next logical extension to the Chrono series. From what I understand, players will travel backwards and forwards in time AND across dimensions - when players change the past, a new timeline is created, and the game features a grid that keeps track of all the timelines and dimensions in the game. It sounds a hell of a lot like the next step up from the time- and dimension-traveling mechanics of Trigger and Cross, respectively, and it may be the closest thing to a Chrono sequel in that regard that we're likely to get for some time. Check it out and see what you think: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/02/how-radiant-historia-keeps-track-of-time-travel/

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
Re: Radiant Historia: Latest Innovation in Video Game Time Travel
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:58:29 am »
It looks good but it isn't Chrono  :cry: I just don't see a Chrono game 'menu-tizing' the game world, that would be like making a menu out of the end of time.........sorta like not having it be an actual location but just a menu accessed via a shortcut like in CT's character swap menu. I'd see a Chrono game giving some sort of central hub to all this, a new door sprouts up in the end of time whenever a new dimension is created. You enter the door, and a pillar of light for each era. I guess it's just easier for a menu system on the DS though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:01:06 am by chi_z »

ShinGundam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Radiant Historia: Latest Innovation in Video Game Time Travel
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:28:26 am »
I think most RPG fans don't want to navigate through the menu. Personally, I value the world structure and Overworld map more.