Author Topic: A question about other races - grammatical  (Read 1027 times)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
A question about other races - grammatical
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:14:36 am »
Lately, I've been wondering how the word "Mystics" should be used in a narrative.  Up to this point, I have always capitalized this word in my fan-fiction when describing or referring to the Mystic race.  But I'm not sure if that's proper.  "Human" is also the name of a race, but I have almost never seen that word capitalized if it's in the middle of a sentence.  Looking at some of my Star Trek books, I have noticed that races other than humans - such as Vulcans, Klingons, Cardassians, etc. - are always capitalized wherever the word comes in a sentence.  I don't know if that reflects correct grammar, or if it's just something that Star Trek fiction gets away with.

Is there any consensus on what grammatical rules should apply when describing other sentient races?  I apologize if this subject sounds trivial, but it's something I really need to clear up while the volume of my work is still at a manageable level.  It might help other fan-fiction writers as well.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: A question about other races - grammatical
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:07:06 am »
You've got a bit of a can of worms there, I think. Science fiction often (not always, but often) treats alien species-names like the names of mundane nationalities or human "races", which are capitalized--giving us "an Eddorian" or "a Klingon" in analogy to "an American" or "a Caucasian". Fantasy (again, not always, but often) tends to treat them like mundane species-names, which are not capitalized--you see "an elf" more often than "an Elf", although the latter does occur in some authors' work. There's no consistency or hard-and-fast grammatical rule, and since you're dealing with a group that constitutes both a separate species and a nationality of sorts, you could make a case for using either form.

You've got an additional wrinkle on your hands, though, because "mystic" is a normal English word with a meaning that has nothing to do with CT. So you might be safer using the capitalized form to avoid any potential confusion.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:29:27 pm »
In CT, Mystics aren't a single species, more a conglomeration or alliance of many different species. They're mostly comprised of imps, but you'll see ogans, those bird guys, whatever Flea is, and any other 'monstrous' species. Mystic is more of a nationality than anything, so it would be capitalized. The separate species that make up the Mystics would generally be lower case.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:36:54 pm »
Also, I think the Mystics would themselves capitalize their name, as a sort of unification of all the different species Zeph mentioned.  They're all standing against the humans--it would make sense for them to grammatically make use of that unity and separation from the humans.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:50:09 am »
If I may step outside canon for a moment, "Mystics" sounds to me exactly like the kind of name a historical Western foreign culture would give to a non-Western foreign culture. (Indeed, in the retranslation the word used is "Demons," not "Mystics.") In this case, "Mystics" is almost exactly analogous to the old term "Orientals." "Orientals" was used primarily by Western peoples of Eastern peoples, and not by Eastern peoples to or of themselves, unless conversing with Westerners in a Western tongue. These sorts of names (whether appropriate or not) are ethnic in nature, and therefore by convention should be capitalized.

Lay names for species are not capitalized: humans, tabbies, carp, crows, etc. This would also be true of individual Mystics if we were to describe them by their unmentioned speciary names. But if we were to speak of a species taxonomically, certain capitalization rules come into play. Our species is called "Homo sapiens." You will notice the capitalization of "Homo" but not of "sapiens." This is because "Homo" is our genus and "sapiens" is our speciary qualifier, and, by convention, all the ranks in taxonomy except for that of species are capitalized. Species names are given as two-term names where the second, speciary word modifies the first, generic one, rather than standing alone. All species described by our rules of taxonomy are subject to the same grammatical conventions, including any hypothetical Mystic species, were they to be described taxonomically.

There is another convention at work, which is that of homeworld affiliation. In science fiction, a fellow sapient species is often characterized by its homestar name or its homeworld name, and these names are always capitalized. For instance, we humans are also "Terrans" and "Earthers" (or the somewhat more derogatory "Earthlings"), for our planet. I am not aware of any common name for humans as a function of our star, Sol, but whatever names might follow from that would all be capitalized.

Lastly, there is a measure of ethnocentrism at work (or, more properly, an equivalent case of "speciocentrism") whereby the quality of personhood is reserved mostly for ourselves and those like us, while outsiders, strangers, and foreigners are described in other terms, often by way of their foreignness. "Human" is a word that refers to a specific species, but it has also come to assume the quality of a sapient species in general, which the Mystics certainly are. Equivalent disparities exist in instances such as "white" versus "African American" and "godly" versus "Hindu." The bottom line is that, when it comes to the terms "human" and "Mystic" in regard to each other, what we are actually doing is describing ourselves (the humans) as people and the Mystics as, well, outsiders. The two terms are not conceptually equivalent, yet the juxtaposition is very common because of this egotistical tendency.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:53:53 am »
"Earthling" is derogatory?  Those son of a bitch aliens...  They've been giving me low blows this whole time and I didn't even know it.  >:(

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 01:07:43 am »
Thank you all for the very thoughtful replies.