Author Topic: Radical Dreamers script.  (Read 1122 times)

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
Radical Dreamers script.
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:21:04 am »
I am confuddled. Utunnels translated some of RD himself because apparently Demi added a bunch of stuff that wasn't in the original game/changed the dialog a lot. For example, when you are showing the stone face of truth or w/e all your stuff, the lipstick is actually to make a trail in case they get lost. in the library one of the books talks about the epoch, well Demi added that in it actually talks about something else. So I'm pretty pissed at this. That's a worse job than the original CT SNES translation. It took me god knows how long  to go through and read all of the mistakes and changes Demi did. why? shouldn't the translation been as accurate as possible, like the fan-made CT script that's detailed to the dotted i and the 'Crono-dono' and the 'Leene-sama'. His name is Kaeru. His name is Jaki! Her name is Sara! What is this mistranslation madness!

To make it worse, I looked at the compendium's script dumps, and when I looked at RD's, lo and behold it was Demiforces incorrect script. I dunno about you people but I'd prefer as close to 100 percent accuracy as possible. What gives man! We have a perfect translation of CT, the CC script was actually a good translation, and here we have the true RD script but nothing has been done of it!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Radical Dreamers script.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:36:22 am »
First of all, Demi did a pretty god job overall, though not perfect. And their voluntary effort made so many Chrono fans know this amazing game.
My skill is not enough to do a full translation yet, I just pointed out those differences that seemed obvious to me.
But yeah, I would like to see a retranslation, if only there're some volunteers that want to do the job. :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:42:44 am by utunnels »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:04:15 am »
I remember a few months ago I was going to uh.....'implement' a better script but I ended up not having the time.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:54:42 am »
Rubbish. Demiforce's translation was friggin' awesome. He wasn't constrained by the self-absorbed premise of being as literal as possible. He knew that a good translation doesn't just carry over the content, but the style and the connotations. He specifically explained that his translation, rather than being perfectly literal, attempted to convey the spirit of the game and not just its word-for-word language.

If you're not Japanese, there's no way you can fully appreciate the original material by using a literal translation, because you won't be privy to the numerous idioms. What you need is a translation that tells the story to you the same way it would have originally been told to the Japanese: through your native culture. Demiforce's translation was spot on the money for recognizing that and trying to do the best translation he could rather than the most literal one.

The same thing is true with Chrono Trigger. The Retranslation Project yielded a literal script so that we might better study the original Japanese intent, but the Woolsey translation is more enjoyable.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:21 pm »
...in the library one of the books talks about the epoch, well Demi added that in...
Oh, is this the passage about particle shells and the battle in space, the Purple Book?

Purple Book, Front
Used by: Kid, Serge

The Neo-Epoch was damaged and expelled into space without any phase changes.
Warning! Warning! Engine severely damaged! Output has been reduced to 30%! Only
six Antiparticle shells remain!
Shield range 16 sectors! L-spin reaction at the starboard bow! The enemy fleet
is moving towards us!
Gyado, wake up! Hiyu Corps, use your final power...

Did we ever get it confirmed that this wasn't in the Japanese script? The passage always really interested me. Obviously the other books are English-language cultural references, but I forget whether a decisive determination was ever made on this one.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:01:54 pm by FaustWolf »

F-546

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Dondake Fansub
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:56:48 pm »
and how about this link
isn't exactly a script; but it is more like the original than the work of demi?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »
Quote from: Faust
Did we ever get it confirmed that this wasn't in the Japanese script? The passage always really interested me. Obviously the other books are English-language cultural references, but I forget whether a decisive determination was ever made on this one.
As far as I know, this paragraph is almost an honest translation, except Kid's reaction later, as if that story triggered her long lost memory.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 05:10:05 pm »
If you can find a translator, you'll have solved the Compendium's biggest problem. But Material Requiring Translation would take urgent priority over an RD retranslation.