Author Topic: Silly suggestion, but I'll say it anyway...  (Read 4843 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: Silly suggestion, but I'll say it anyway...
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 07:08:59 am »
Too bad Sharon Angle didn't heed this advice. Heh.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »
But she DOES care what other people think about her, she just doesn't like that it's bad and wants us to bend around her and not laugh and treat her better than we would another person. Because she wants to be a tiny electric lady.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 02:43:24 am »
You are an understanding person. We have an opportunity to be understanding here. All but the worst people deserve as much, and PSZ is far from the west.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 02:23:12 pm »
We have an opportunity to be understanding here. All but the worst people deserve as much, and PSZ is far from the west.

I really like this philosophy and believe that it's one to live by, but I must insist that sometimes, some people - even if they're not bad people - just need to be slapped in the face and told to GROW THE FUCK UP. Coddling them will do nothing but enable their childish delusions.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 05:46:50 pm »
Non-mainstream sexuality is not a childish delusion. Sexuality is a critical component of most people's identity and those who fall outside the norm are subjected to gross misunderstanding and mistreatment even in the best environments, and violence and eradication throughout much of the world. You, and those of you who are harassing PSZ because you perceive her to be acting inappropriately, need to make a distinction between actual inappropriate behavior, and behavior that is simply outside the norm. I know that PSZ has said some derogatory things in the past about women. That's an example of inappropriate behavior. Wanting to be treated like Schala Zeal is not inappropriate, especially when you recognize the motivation behind it. In our transsexual-phobic culture, people who discover they are transsexual often come to grips with that in a roundabout way, such as by latching on to something familiar and positive--like a good video game character who has undergone their own brand of suffering and hardship.

Schala isn't real. Anyone who wants to take up her mantle is welcome to do so. There's nothing wrong with that, and even less so when the reason is a just one. Coming to terms with one's own nature is a just reason indeed.

I honestly think that if you are so small-minded, so uncomfortable at the thought of this slightly-realer-than-you-want roleplaying, the best thing you can do is just hold your tongues and ignore her. But if you really want to grow up--and you've got some of your own growing up to do so long as you continue to obliviously harass other people--you should try to be more understanding, more accepting, and more open.

I hope this can put an end to the discussion, because I don't like talking about PSZ's personal life here in a public forum like she isn't even here. It becomes necessary when folks gang up to bully her, but this is so outside the bounds of relevant discussion for this board. I hope we can turn to brighter topics now.

Also: I don't know how I wrote "west" instead of "worst" in my previous post. =/

cantelope

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 06:13:00 pm »
If it's not too much trouble is there a more detailed reason why you believe you are Princess Schala Zeal besides what's been stated? I want to make it clear that this is not an attack but as a bystander in all of this I'm curious to know the reasons behind your suggestion if it's not too personal.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 08:21:54 pm »
Non-mainstream sexuality is not a childish delusion. Sexuality is a critical component of most people's identity and those who fall outside the norm are subjected to gross misunderstanding and mistreatment even in the best environments, and violence and eradication throughout much of the world. You, and those of you who are harassing PSZ because you perceive her to be acting inappropriately, need to make a distinction between actual inappropriate behavior, and behavior that is simply outside the norm. I know that PSZ has said some derogatory things in the past about women. That's an example of inappropriate behavior. Wanting to be treated like Schala Zeal is not inappropriate, especially when you recognize the motivation behind it. In our transsexual-phobic culture, people who discover they are transsexual often come to grips with that in a roundabout way, such as by latching on to something familiar and positive--like a good video game character who has undergone their own brand of suffering and hardship.

Schala isn't real. Anyone who wants to take up her mantle is welcome to do so. There's nothing wrong with that, and even less so when the reason is a just one. Coming to terms with one's own nature is a just reason indeed.

I honestly think that if you are so small-minded, so uncomfortable at the thought of this slightly-realer-than-you-want roleplaying, the best thing you can do is just hold your tongues and ignore her. But if you really want to grow up--and you've got some of your own growing up to do so long as you continue to obliviously harass other people--you should try to be more understanding, more accepting, and more open.

I hope this can put an end to the discussion, because I don't like talking about PSZ's personal life here in a public forum like she isn't even here. It becomes necessary when folks gang up to bully her, but this is so outside the bounds of relevant discussion for this board. I hope we can turn to brighter topics now.

Also: I don't know how I wrote "west" instead of "worst" in my previous post. =/

Okay, first. Nobody is harassing "her". We would be harassing "her" if we were sending "her" insulting messages for the sole purpose of causing "her" emotional distress. Nobody, to my knowledge, is doing that. We are, however, expressing our distaste with "her" bringing "her" private issues into this particular public forum. Some are doing this while also attempting to be politically correct and diplomatic. That's probably for the better, but I, such being my inclination, am being a little more frank about the matter. The entire topic of this thread started as a request for PSZ to be given special status because "she" thinks "she's" a video game character, for Christ's sake!! There is nothing inappropriate or derogatory about expressing our distaste over the kind of narcissism and delusion on display here. Furthermore, "she" has made "her" "personal business" OUR business by airing it on this forum. We're not like, say, the trolls harassing Christian Weston Chandler. We've mentioned nothing regarding "her" personal life that "she" has not brought up "herself". And she continues to do so, each time obviously expecting a response. Should we coddle "her" and pretend that there is nothing unusual or wrong with what "she" is endeavoring to do? Or should we react honestly, and in the way that most of our society almost certainly will? If "her" fantasy world is as insular as it appears to be, it's unlikely anything we say (apart, that is, from what "she" wants to hear) will burst her bubble anyhow. Which, I suppose, brings me back around to my main point: we're not angry because of who PSZ is or what she wants, we are angry because "she" is forcing us to deal with it by bringing it up in our forum.

Now, were I in Zeality's shoes, I would provide "her" with an ultimatum: Participate in discussions that are on-topic or appropriate to this forum and relegate "her" psychosexual issues to private messages and/or other websites, or risk a ban. I don't know how he feels about all this, but that's my two cents.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:28:30 pm by gatotsu911 »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 08:36:45 pm »
Okay seriously, there is absolutely no need to put "her" and "she" in quotation marks.  It's derogatory and insulting.  That has nothing to do with PSZ.  I'm not transgendered, but I will try to defend those who are.  God knows they could use more people with some understanding...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:42:14 pm by Sajainta »

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 09:23:12 pm »
PSZ is just another forumer who's taken RPing a little too far.

Other than that, she's a talented level design and an intelligent human being.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:43 pm »
Okay, first. Nobody is harassing "her".

This entire topic is a harassment against her, and your use of quotation marks, like Saji pointed out, is an affirmation that you are completely oblivious to the harassment you and others are doling out. What would it take for you to become aware of the wrong that you are doing? What's so bad about admitting, "Hey, I was wrong about this. My bad, and apologies for causing any offense!"?

Now, were I in Zeality's shoes, I would provide "her" with an ultimatum: Participate in discussions that are on-topic or appropriate to this forum and relegate "her" psychosexual issues to private messages and/or other websites, or risk a ban.

You don't want to go there. None of the three site administrators is likely to take a positive view of your bigoted attempt to marginalize somebody who is going through a process of self-acceptance. Moreover, if you drag the site administration into this, then you will have locked yourself into an unwinnable situation: Either your bigotry will backfire and you'll be the one on the receiving end of disciplinary action, or your complaint will succeed and you will have denied a safe haven to somebody who is going through a very difficult time.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 11:35:16 pm »
It's not bigotry. It's not harassment. She's pretending to be a videogame character and that's insane. Defending her for that and saying it's "just part of her journey" is insulting to other people who struggle with sexual identity issues.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 11:49:44 pm »
Also I'd like if we could talk about Schala the character again without worrying about her turning it into a rp thread

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 12:28:22 am »
@Sajainta: Consider it a compromise. I was going to simply use "he"/"him" (no quotation marks), but figured that would be taking it a little too far. Besides, as I understand it, he/she is still, at this point in time, biologically male. And when it comes to determining gender, biology is what I go by.

@Lance VII: I'm not attempting to call that into question. I don't know him/her personally and therefore can't attest to the quality of his/her character beyond what I've seen. I'll assume that what you're saying is true, because I see no reason to believe that it isn't. You people seem to think that I have some sort of personal vendetta against PSZ. I don't. All I ask is that he/she deal with his/her private, personal issues in a way that doesn't involve an entire forum dedicated to something completely unrelated.

@Lord J Esq: This entire thread is harassment?? This entire thread was STARTED BY PSZ, TO DISCUSS HIM/HERSELF. I'm sorry some of the responses he/she got were not of the "accepting" variety that he/she might have hoped for. Except I'm not really sorry, because I don't think this is an appropriate topic, I don't think this is an appropriate thread, and if nothing else, I don't regret taking the position that nearly everyone PSZ will have to contend with in the foreseeable future will most likely take. Look, I AM sorry if PSZ is "going through some difficult times". That's a shame. I sincerely hope he/she finds a healthier, more effective way of dealing with it. (Like, say, therapy.) But I've "gone through some difficult times" too. Maybe I haven't had to deal with the same type of difficulties, but the difficult times I've been through were pretty fucking difficult nonetheless. If you've never "been through some difficult times", then damn, you're pretty lucky. At no point during my own struggles have I gone into a fan community for a game/movie/anime, announced that I am LITERALLY a character from that story, and requested that I be treated as such. The reason I have never done this has less to do with the fact that I haven't grappled with major issues of sexual identity than the fact that it's absurd, obnoxious, vain, and to put it in "bigoted" layman's terms, incredibly fucking stupid. I'm not going to get into the topic of transsexuality because that's really a private issue, my own opinions on it just as much as anything. But I absolutely am going to make noise about the roleplaying thing, because it's obnoxious, it's discomforting, and as can be seen on this very thread, it's tearing this community apart.

Schala Zeal

• 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 07:13:54 am »
Ehh... I think I was mismotivated. I wasn't really wanting to be treated better than others. I just felt I wanted some recognition I guess. This is months old so I don't really comprehend my motive for this anymore.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:38 am »
Well, we all have those "attention whore" moments. If you really have changed that much since this topic started, I'm sorry the board moves slow enough for it to seem like something recent.