Author Topic: Obsidian Wants to Work on Chrono Trigger  (Read 5058 times)

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Re: Obsidian Wants to Work on Chrono Trigger
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 11:19:10 am »
I'll probably get booed off the board for this, but I don't even require Mitsuda. As long as the story lives up to what Trigger and Cross have done.

You must hate music.

Sourkeys mistaken comment about putting Chrono in space gave me an idea for a new game. Make a Chrono MMO where you hunt Lavos throughout the galaxy. Instead of the natural western MMO style of create your own character there could be just a plethora of teammates like in Cross, but with more character development. The updates could involve new planets that are invaded by Lavos Spawn. If obsidian made that game I would be first in line.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »
A bad game would be better than no game, I believe. Though, if it's bad, I'd hate to see anything of it considered canonical. Lance VII's CT2:TE project uses a character I created, but I fear that CT2 will canonicalize her instead of any games I make of the character. I suppose in Obsidian's case, let them try it, but again... you know.

Also, Rox, developing a Chrono-esque game for the iPad is not a good idea. Apple is VERY picky on the apps on it and... pretty much mobile Apple products are the North Korea of mobile products. Droid or Windows Phone would be a wiser choice. iPhone/Pad/Pod otherwise are only popular because no one bothers to read the fine print.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 01:27:40 pm »
Sourkeys mistaken comment about putting Chrono in space gave me an idea for a new game. Make a Chrono MMO where you hunt Lavos throughout the galaxy. Instead of the natural western MMO style of create your own character there could be just a plethora of teammates like in Cross, but with more character development. The updates could involve new planets that are invaded by Lavos Spawn. If obsidian made that game I would be first in line.

That's actually a pretty neat idea, but I think I would rather see it as a single-player game nonetheless. But yeah, ever since I beat Chrono Cross ages ago there was no doubt in my mind that a future Chrono game should travel to space and possibly explore the origins of Lavos.

But still... I dunno about Obsidian. Maybe someday I'll play some of their games and come up with a proper opinion.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »
Yeah after thinking about it longer (I got three hours of sleep last night so I didn't really thin to hard about this) an MMO wouldn't make sense. Something akin to Dragon Age's combat system would be interesting, but with multi techs and broader ability/spell trees to develop.

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
  • "We are...the dreamers of Dreams."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »
I'll probably get booed off the board for this, but I don't even require Mitsuda. As long as the story lives up to what Trigger and Cross have done.

You must hate music.

I love music. I love Mitsuda's music. But the way some people talk on here, if Mitsuda didn't do the project, people act like it wouldn't be a Chrono game. I disagree. I think its the story that would have to make it a Chrono game.

Or else we have the "s. Darko" of Chrono games and nobody wants that. Music and the look of something great, stylistically similar, but overall disappointing.

Seeing other worlds that Lavos has ruined is interesting. I mean, being a part of the Chrono series, it would raise the inevitable question: Would it be wrong to go back and stop Lavos earlier in time, the least of the consequences on Earth being the negation of the human timeline and the creation of the Reptite Dimension? What other repercussions then exist?

Another interesting problem lies in Lavos himself. His homeworld, the reason why he hurled through space and into Earth to destroy it. I mean (and granted this is a viewpoint informed primarily by a real life understanding of the universe), Lavos would have had to come a long way to Earth. Scientists don't know of any other planets that support life. Granted, in CC Starky confirms alien life. But how far away was it? Was Lavos drifting through the universe at random, seeking out life? It seems insane to even consider that he hit the planet by accident.

1st Mate Bob

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 05:12:53 pm »
I love music. I love Mitsuda's music. But the way some people talk on here, if Mitsuda didn't do the project, people act like it wouldn't be a Chrono game. I disagree. I think its the story that would have to make it a Chrono game.

I would have to agree. However, I would not want a random no name to compose the music for the game. The music has to fit the game, the scenarios, the characters, and the overall experience. To create music as such, you have to understand every aspect of the game. You have to know the characters and their personalities in order to make GOOD theme music for them. You have to know the atmosphere of the scene and how music can help enhance that scene. Mitsuda has always been a part of this series; he knows how to create good music for the games. It's a safe and sure bet to have him compose the music. Will it enhance the gameplay? Of course it will. Otherwise we wouldn't even bother with music.

That being said, I'm not too sure about my feelings toward a Westernized Chrono game. I'm not really that big of a fan with Western RPGs, but then again I'm a Japanophile. But if this were to happen, I cannot say that I won't buy the game.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »
Mitsuda's music has formed such an integral part of the existing Chrono games - of setting a mood, creating emotional resonance - that I would argue he is just as essential a component in the series as Kato. Making a Chrono game without Mitsuda's music would be like making a Star Wars film without a John Williams score. The music has become so deeply integrated into the identity of the franchise that it just wouldn't feel right. I would even go on to argue that the visual direction of Yasuyuki Honne is just as essential, or at least almost as essential, in creating the unique "feeling" of the Chrono games.

BTW, @SilentMartyr, I would like to try some WRPGs (I'm embarrassed to admit I've barely played any) and am wondering what the best game would be to start with? I keep getting told I need to play Fallout 3. To be honest, by biggest misgiving about getting a WRPG is that I tend to avoid extremely long games; there are exceedingly few console or PC titles that can hold my interest for more than 40 hours, max, and I don't like to start playing games that I'll never end up finishing. I wish more WRPGs would be released for handheld formats, which I think is the ideal home for the RPG genre in general.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 10:16:18 pm »
The story alone doesn't make a Chrono game. Yes, if you were only picking one aspect of the series to keep story is a great choice. But to truly make a Chrono game you need the story to be deep and meaningful with the music bringing each new area to life and leave a lasting memory in your mind. Good call gatotsu(Saito is gangster) on adding Honne, I forgot he was with Monosoft. I definitely agree with you there. The artist style of the series is as essential to completing the core that makes all the games so solid.

ShoeM I misspoke there, when I said Lavos I meant other Lavos aliens. Not the Lavos that found Earth. I wouldn't want to involve too much time travel in the game as it would complicate things heavily. I would want it to focus more on the varied struggles of each planet that becomes "infected" by an adult Lavos. The only time travel I envision would be to recruit on Earth early on in the game.

gatotsu, Dragon Age Origins is the game you should play. It is a very technical Action RPG that involves heavy tactics and character teamwork. Made by Bioware, so it's high quality. It's either that or Diablo II.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 02:34:53 am »
If I recall correctly there is a bit of a wrinkle in the whole identity of Lavos at the end of Chrono Cross in that Lavos is described (perhaps figuratively) as a "cosmic seed". I think the idea of going to different planets and seeing how some of them have coped with Lavos would be awesome, but I think it would also be interesting to further explore that idea of Lavos as both a God-like figure, a masculine entity, and as a being that brings the planets it infects both greatness and inevitable destruction. After all, it was because of Lavos, intentionally or unintentionally, that humankind attained heightened intelligence (and, as such, civilization and technology) and discovered magic.

@SM: I'll probably check out Dragon Age at some point if I can get it for a reasonable price, which may be easier now that the sequel has been announced. Is it true that the console versions are significantly worse than the PC versions? I have a MacBook and a PS3, so I would have to get it for one of those.
By the way, if you're a fan of Yasuyuki Honne I would strongly recommend checking out the Baten Kaitos games for GameCube, if you haven't already. Honne was both the director and art director for those games, and the first one was also scripted by Kato. Regrettably they didn't have Mitsuda working on the soundtrack, but the composer the do have, Motoi Sakuraba, turns in what is quite possibly his career-best performance, with some truly fantastic tracks. They really feel like a bit of a throwback to the Chrono games, Cross in particular, and for the time being are probably as close to a true sequel as you're going to find.
Also, yes. Saito is badass. Aku Soku Zan, mofos.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 11:10:45 am »
Lavos as a God like figure would be an interesting story but I don't really know how you could make a game out of that. With the planetary travel you can make all sorts of crazy creature based on what Lavos did to perfect them to make his DNA the best. It's akin to spore in that regard, expect the played wouldn't be the one making the evolutions. Just thinking that Lavos arrived in 65 billion BC makes me wonder how many plaents others could have infected and how much MORE powerful those Lavos's could be. Every time Lavos advances it's DNA and makes more spawn they grow stronger. Then the spawn leave and find and new plant and get stronger. This cycle repeating like that can lead to some incredible Lavos adaptations.

LAWL

I played Baiten Katos Origins and hated it. The gameplay was fun, and I enjoyed the artwork. But the story was so bad. SO BAD. I had to make sure Kato didn't have any involvement with the game otherwise I would have cried for three days straight at the death of a true visionary. Ugh, just thinking about that game makes me shudder.

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
  • "We are...the dreamers of Dreams."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 03:01:50 pm »
Mitsuda's music has formed such an integral part of the existing Chrono games - of setting a mood, creating emotional resonance - that I would argue he is just as essential a component in the series as Kato. Making a Chrono game without Mitsuda's music would be like making a Star Wars film without a John Williams score. The music has become so deeply integrated into the identity of the franchise that it just wouldn't feel right. I would even go on to argue that the visual direction of Yasuyuki Honne is just as essential, or at least almost as essential, in creating the unique "feeling" of the Chrono games.

BTW, @SilentMartyr, I would like to try some WRPGs (I'm embarrassed to admit I've barely played any) and am wondering what the best game would be to start with? I keep getting told I need to play Fallout 3. To be honest, by biggest misgiving about getting a WRPG is that I tend to avoid extremely long games; there are exceedingly few console or PC titles that can hold my interest for more than 40 hours, max, and I don't like to start playing games that I'll never end up finishing. I wish more WRPGs would be released for handheld formats, which I think is the ideal home for the RPG genre in general.

A very good point. Overall, they shouldn't try it unless they can get the right people for it. I think, in this respect, the gaming industry is run a little better than Hollywood (where they churn out movies regardless of their ability to make them).

Incidentally, Fallout, though interesting, didn't grab me like Elder Scrolls IV did. That in particular is a fine RPG. Its long, and honestly, I never actually beat the "main quest" because I had too much fun doing everything else (though I go back and play it every couple of months and probably will eventually). 

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 03:15:42 pm »
I've only played the first Baten Kaitos and not the prequel yet, but my understanding is that the story in that game is BETTER than the first one, which while imaginative in its setting and not without a couple standout moments, is not exactly on par with Kato's work in the 90's. At any rate, I still enjoyed it immensely; it's one of my favorite RPGs of last-gen, and I'm eager to play Origins.
Also, if you don't want to play a REALLY disappointing name with Kato's name attached to it, stay far, far away from Sands of Destruction, or you'll be crying for three WEEKS.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:57:28 pm by gatotsu911 »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 07:12:18 pm »
A westernized take on Chrono Trigger would be pretty awesome, I think. They said in the article that they picked that answer mostly because of the seeming openness of CT and the fact that your decisions change the outcome of the game, those are the reasons a lot of people who mostly like WRPGs still like CT anyway. Having the western element could really expand what you do as Crono, what happens depending on what you say or choose, and REALLY make it a game you have a say in, not just an illusion of choice.

If they did something like that with the Cross property, they could really play with the two worlds concept and bring some meat to the character list. It'd be pretty hilarious to see a 40+ hour western game have the more concise and understandable plot, anyway.

The only downside I can think of is whether they'd keep it a silly, light-hearted game.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 02:29:42 pm »
Kato & Mitsuda (& I always throw in Toriyama) are the minimum requirements for a new Chrono game (i.e. Chrono 4), but for a reboot/remake/whatever I don't think they're necessary (though they should still be involved in some way)...

I think Obsidian has proven that they know how to handle licenses (just not original IPs as shown by the lackluster Alpha Protocol sales & reviews...too bad they aren't getting a sequel because it was a good concept)...though as has been said, to westernize Chrono too much would take away from the fact that Chrono Trigger is a monument to all things RPG. It's a fine line to have to walk, but I think Obsidian would make a good game and in the end it would be interesting and hopefully renew interest in the series...also as said, it's not like SE is doing anything...

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 07:04:48 am »
Also, Rox, developing a Chrono-esque game for the iPad is not a good idea. Apple is VERY picky on the apps on it and... pretty much mobile Apple products are the North Korea of mobile products. Droid or Windows Phone would be a wiser choice. iPhone/Pad/Pod otherwise are only popular because no one bothers to read the fine print.

Well I suppose if Apple wasn't picky the app store would be full of broken software as a result of people trying to make money as quick as possible with no regard for the poor fool who bought their crap. At any rate, I could easily develop something for the Android Phone, but the reason I chose iPad is because it has a bigger screen hence I have more working space, it also has slightly better graphic capabilities than other mobile devices meaning higher poly count and better texture quality.