Author Topic: Electric Grids, Gas Pipes, & Sewer Systems  (Read 8094 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Electric Grids, Gas Pipes, & Sewer Systems
« on: June 15, 2005, 08:32:00 pm »
While chattin' it up over at MySpace, someone (sn=Michael) made a thread ungrammatically titled Observations Abour Chrono Trigger. In this thread he states many things abour Chrono Trigger that he...uh...observed...Many of them are obvious, yes, but, this one threw me off...

Quote from: Michael
The Zenan continent has electrical grids and gas pipes in 1000.

Quote from: Rowdy Jensen (aka V_Translanka)
How do you know (this)?

Quote from: Michael
The homes in Truce, Porre, Chroas, and Medina have gas stoves and refrigerators and sinks.

So, I was just wondering if this is true...I don't hold this in any high regard as being 'astounding new info about CT', I mean, it's almost obvious that with the Ashtears, technology advanced quickly...But I was just wondering if you could actually tell if they were gas stoves and such...And just wondering some basic imput.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 11:45:05 pm »
If memory serves, they were electric.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:13:50 am »
That's sort of because the Chrono series and Final Fantasy 6 are reminiscent of steampunk. I just learned the term at the Chrono Cross wikipedia entry, and it seems steampunk is a storytelling setting taking place in a sort of industrial world that seemed to forget about high technology and continued developing the trades of steam, coal burning, etc. The moral of the story is, in the Chrono series, some tech was advanced before other stuff.

Actually, this warrants a theory. My theory is that since the Kingdom of Guardia maintained nearly total control over the world's population, and employed knights and a traditional monarchy, guns and other stuff did not come into use until later (specifically, when Porre arose). If you'd like to hammer out specifics, go ahead.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 01:15:42 pm »
Those kinds of "anachronism" are also seen in Dragon Ball, to a bigger extent (it would be closer to 1999 AD though).

In Dragon Ball too they never says what's the machines energy source (power plants are never seen).

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 05:25:18 pm »
There were type-writers and radios too.  Now this would be "basic" technology for 1999 A.D. but still.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 05:33:50 pm »
1999's technology is more advanced then ours. Like ZeaLitY said: Some technology advanced before other could. Just because we reached certain industrial achievements dosen't mean the people at Chrono's world have.

Quote from: ZeaLitY
Actually, this warrants a theory. My theory is that since the Kingdom of Guardia maintained nearly total control over the world's population, and employed knights and a traditional monarchy, guns and other stuff did not come into use until later (specifically, when Porre arose). If you'd like to hammer out specifics, go ahead.

I was always suprised how the soldiers of 1000 AD's Guardia seemed unarmed. The FMV of Guardia's fall in the PSX verson states they fought with swords, but oddly enough I can't see anyone who uses them. Maybe this was some of the reason they lost: They were ill-trained and badly prepared for an invasion, being as Guardia was in a quiet era.

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 05:36:43 pm »
That's Verdadissimo right there.  I just thought that, they might be modernized and all, but like you said, some technology advanced before others could.  Lucca especially contributes to this creating robots and what not.  Robots before simple computers (I dont know if they have computers in 1000 A.D.) were made.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 05:52:55 pm »
No computers, but yeah. What seemes odd, is that during the raid on Lucca's house, Gato actually TELLS you where Lucca and Kid are. I wonder if Lucca programmed him to do that, she never discarded the option someone might try to get her.

And not just Lucca, all the Ashtears helped that. Lucca was the most genius of all of them (She surpasses Taban, I'm rather sure of that), but still, the others could help with discoveries like Gas powered stoves. They're quite surely a pretty well based family, with a mansion and all.

Still, the CT journey made Lucca the genius who invented the incomplete Time Egg and designed the Mother Brain Supercomputer.

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 05:59:14 pm »
I meant to say all the Ashtears but I never got around to it, but yeah,  Lucca would be the most brilliant out of all of them.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 09:57:54 am »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
I was always suprised how the soldiers of 1000 AD's Guardia seemed unarmed. The FMV of Guardia's fall in the PSX verson states they fought with swords, but oddly enough I can't see anyone who uses them. Maybe this was some of the reason they lost: They were ill-trained and badly prepared for an invasion, being as Guardia was in a quiet era.

I think the 1000 A.D. Guardian soldiers were "unarmed" in the sense that their existence had become largely ceremonial. The difference between 600 and 1000 A.D. was that the former was a time when swords and shields settled disputes, whereas in 1000 A.D. was a society under the rule of law, where law and not battle decided the day.

You look at the USS Constitution, still on active duty even though it is beyond obsolete, or you look at a Marine in dress, with the sword and the coat and all of that nonsense that doesn't mean anything in the field...all of this is military tradition, which traces its roots to functionality and practical purpose at some point in the past. That's why the 600 A.D. soldiers are pragmatically outfitted for the warlike world in which they live, whereas the peaceful 1000 A.D. soldiers exist as an outmoded descendent of this, wearing nice but clean uniforms and not bothering to tote around practical arms and armor. They are vestiges of Guardia's bloody, royal past. Their existence, again, is ceremonial.

Edit: Minor spelling snafus, etc.

jotabe1789

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 10:23:02 am »
I don't know if even during Porre raise, firearms would be all that common. In CC, i think, the only gunner is Norris. Maybe guns were only used by elite corps? (like the musketeers were)

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 11:01:58 am »
I using my memory right now but Norris is the only one from Porre in your team and doesn't Termina has like lots of crates that would be ammo or something?

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 12:34:56 pm »
The Dragoons fight with Swords, axes and Lances. They're more of the knightly armies, while Porre uses the technology to fight. It's obvious, how Porre Soldiers are stronger then the Acacia Dragoons, battle-wise. Still, the Dragoons would have the home advantage, and they're always prepared for an invasion. Plus the fact that in order to carry massive amounts of troops, Porre would needs gallons, maybe Steam Ships (Like the ferry in Guardia). Those would be obvious from a distance.

Every Porre soldier uses a Rifle. You see it in the game. So it's not a matter of rank. Norris, like you said, is the only from Porre. Luccia is the other one from Porre, but she uses a different weapon, I'm sure. Thus, except for those two and Starky (Another Gunner, but not from Porre X_X), everyone else are from El-Nido.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 04:54:26 pm »
Guardia DID have armored, sworded (uh...) knights...remember those cheeky bastards in the dungeon? I think that the 'guards' that you see around the castle are more like whistle blowers than anything...like bouncers or something...If need be, they can always whip out the armored division or something, but it probably doesn't come to that too often (unluckily for Guardia during the Fall, I assume).

Also, Kid isn't from El Nido either.

Also (x2), Norris is head of the "Black Wind", which I always thought of as a kind of Porrean gun squad (perhaps so far as a sniper squad?).

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 05:12:43 pm »
(perhaps so far as a sniper squad?)

If need be. I always thought the Black Wind was a very special division, like the FBI or the KGB.