Author Topic: "No current plan for sequel"  (Read 10571 times)

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
"No current plan for sequel"
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 05:59:51 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
Yea, I wish I had that much time to waste, jeez. I mean there is hoping, and then there is sheer inability to cope with reality.

What is sad is that SE will probably never make a Chrono sequel and they destroy any attempts to make the greatest fan project ever...

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 10:41:57 pm »
If you're curious, the team that's responsible for the Chrono series is the team that's working on Final Fantasy XI and its expansion packs and maintenance.

So while FFXI is still active, you won't see a Chrono sequel.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2005, 08:56:58 pm »
Huh? The dream team is completely freelance right now, I don't know what you are talking about.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2005, 06:31:16 am »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
Huh? The dream team is completely freelance right now, I don't know what you are talking about.

Probably the others developpers, there wasn't just the Dream Team (Kato and Mitsuda are not even in that team...).

Radical Dreamer

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2005, 03:36:25 pm »
Quote from: DarkGizmo

What is sad is that SE will probably never make a Chrono sequel and they destroy any attempts to make the greatest fan project ever...

1. You have to understand that there are copyright issues involved.
Imagine if you worked on something and then someone else would come and use your original work to create a "remake" of the original.
I doubt if you'd like.
Not to mention that a lot of people worked pretty hard on the original game.

SE has to enforce it's rights.
Otherwise it wouldn't exsist.
So does EVERY single company out there.

SE doesn't see 'fan games' as a threat but merly as copyright violation.

I think that the Chrono Series community is appreciated and will not be forgotten...

Upcoming music releases just proves it...

2. Never say never...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2005, 03:50:05 pm »
Aha, bingo. If anything, this means SE still cares. Some companies do let their games go free in the realm of fan works, simply because no sequels are anticipated and the title won't be picked up again. Square is still keeping Chrono pocketed though, perhaps as a trump card for when Final Fantasy dies down a little.

Radical Dreamer

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2005, 05:35:19 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Aha, bingo. If anything, this means SE still cares. Some companies do let their games go free in the realm of fan works, simply because no sequels are anticipated and the title won't be picked up again. Square is still keeping Chrono pocketed though, perhaps as a trump card for when Final Fantasy dies down a little.

Yes, those companies you speak of are allowing this for 2 main reason:

1. The "sequels" / "remakes" are of REALLY old games (late 80s - early 90s).

2. Totall loss of interest in trademark on their side.

Yes, there are other titles on the work at the moment, but still, the Chrono series is a leading product along 'Final Fantasy' and some other good series.

If you'd ask someone a year ago about a movie based on 'Final Fantasy VII' he'd probably say it would never happen.
And now 'Advent Children' will be released on DVD.

People WANTED FF VII related products.

It took time, but eventually, 3 titles + a movie are being released.

So never give up hope.

~ Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think. ~  

;)

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2005, 09:54:23 pm »
AHAHAH does that means Advent is a movie?

I really though it was a game, lol!

Quote from: Radical Dreamer

1. You have to understand that there are copyright issues involved.
Imagine if you worked on something and then someone else would come and use your original work to create a "remake" of the original.
I doubt if you'd like.
Not to mention that a lot of people worked pretty hard on the original game.

I know that, but fans game are never really made to hurt business they could jsut have put some trademark on it, like a quality warraty or something...

Anyway nothing will really beat the feeling of playing it on the REAL thing :D

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2005, 09:22:16 pm »
Yeah, FFVII is being milked because it will SELL, bottom line. It's (to me, sadly) their most popular game of their most popular series. It not only made logical sense, but also financial sense, which is a big key.

Personally, I think FFVII had horrid character development and a shotty story with a battle system that was pretty much the same old thing. In essence, too many lens flares, not enough substance.

But this didn't stop me from playing one of the greatest FFs to date, FFTactics, which came out a short while after VII (maybe after VIII too, but I don't think so...hard to remember exactly...). I also enjoyed FFVIII although the character development was sub-par and the battle system was a touch too easy. FFIX was great with awesome character development and a classic story and battle system.

So, although I've been dissapointed by Square at times (SaGa Frontier 1 & 2 are other examples of "let down" games), they still manage (at the very least every once in a while) to put out a truely great masterpiece. Perhaps the next will have the word we all wait to touch our ears again: Chrono.

Zizzlebop

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 12:08:55 am »
They should just go underground and release a torrent of it when it's done on pirate networks. They would be infringing on Squares rights just as much as  Square is infringing on their rights by limiting their freedom to express themselves.

Moreover, I have a feeling they just got tired of the project and did not even  try anything else, I do not have any evidance of this whatsoever though.

I don't think any Chrono series discussion will last more than a few posts without getting side-tracked by these damn letters.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 01:22:02 am »
They'd get sued up and down. Whereas Square can stop a project from being finished and no one gets hurt, having it become available means someone is gonna get the kickass laid on them.

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 01:46:14 am »
The "Dream Team" only worked on CT.   It was called that because of some big wigs who generally do games for Enix worked on the game.  Most of said people didn't even work on CC and aren't considered part of the team that is responsible for the Chrono series.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 02:11:28 am »
Yeah. Uematsu filled in a song here and there because Mitsuda overworked himself into a stomach ulcer, and suddenly he's the DREAM TEAM and Mitsuda isn't.

Clown

CT
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 05:42:55 pm »
:?:  I do agree with everybody on this page on how FF is being milked dry. Square hasnt really been releasing hardly any good RPG's for me anyways. They should stop making Full Metal Alchemist & Xenosaga cuz no one cares about those games. Plus when they get released in a few weeks after they are released you can find those games for 20$ less like a few of the other titles they had for the past few years. IDk instead of talking about getting CT games. Get a campaign or something and bug the hell out of square and make them know you want this game or games.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 01:33:57 am »
Square doesn't make Xenosaga. They made Xenogears, which kicks ass, but not the Xenosaga series. The $20 price point of best selling games is not a negative reflection of quality, but rather a positive reflection of popularity. No, there is no correlation between the two. It's not like these are $20 at release because they are budget games. By the time they are $20, they've already been successful at $50.