Author Topic: Tempest-Chrono Break Battle/or/Boss Theme-Remix of Manoria Cathedral  (Read 1829 times)

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
This is my vision of a battle or boss theme for CB, the chorus is the same chord progression as Manoria Cathedral, but a different key (g minor instead of e minor). I took inspiration from 'Hurricane', the RD/CC battle theme, as well as Snake Remains Chamber . It uses solo violin as the primary instrument unlike Manoria Cathedral.

youtube.com/watch?v=nzYoEh9mXvk
mediafire.com/?umgxzhmnhjn

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:41:44 pm by chi_z »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Tempest-Chrono Break Battle/or/Boss Theme-Remix of Manoria Cathedral
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:18:20 am »
Quite nice! Although a bit repetitive. Kinda makes me feel as if I'm sneaking into a Mystic Cathedral/Temple for a mission.  :grimm Sneaking around is gooooood~

Dice.

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Que Sera Sera
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:38:17 am »
Quite nice; very nice!
It's so nice, it lacks a bit of that everyday "battle edge" - but I think it'd be perfect for a specific battle (or "epic" fight with the 'once-only' themes).

There's a level of emotion in this, like you're fighting for something.  At least, that's the impression I got.  I do think you are quite talented otherwise~!

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 05:21:11 pm »
Yea I don't think it's very good for the 'random encounter' battle theme but if you recall in CC when you fight Miguel, it has it's own unique battle music. I guess this song could be used for a 'one off' boss battle. It is a tad repetitive, but it's also a lot longer than the format Mitsuda uses so it's like the format is NOT  intro - verse - chorus - solo - verse - chorus - fade out right before solo
instead it's more
intro - verse light  -verse tutti - chorus, which is 2x as long as mitsuda's chorus' - solo - repeat at verse light
I did not include a fade out so it would be easy to put it into a game with a loop starting at the verse light section

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:59:26 pm »
That is a hawt remix of Manoria Cathedral, I wouldn't have even recognized it! It feels more like an environment/field map theme to me. I wonder what it would sound like with some badass electric guitars thrown in. Or big trumpets -- something with more oomph.

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:29:20 pm »
Well I kinda wanted to do it in Mitsuda's style, which I don't mean to be a precocious jackass but I am probably the foremost authority on Mitsuda (besides Mitsuda himself) as I've spent literally several hundred hours listening, remixing, re-arranging, re-writing, and tabbing out all of his stuff. Mitsuda rarely uses full orchestra tutti, and the horns are rarely used as well. CT was about the only time he wrote for horns excessively. The percussion is very Mitsuda-esque as well, using shakers/maracas, bongos, taiko drum, bass drum, timpani, tambourine, glockenspiel. And of course violin, Mitsuda's main instrument. Double Bass pizzicato as he always does, cellos doing a rhythmic variation of the violin, viola/violin pizzicato playing a quick phrase. I was shooting for more of an RD/CC feel, thus the lack of horns. There IS, however, oboe and trumpet doubling the violin on the chorus section.

I decided to keep it all with instruments Mitsuda typically uses in Chrono games.

on the frozen flame song, the woodwind instrument used is an oboe, so I decided on that.

in CT the brass is usually either horns (sometimes known as french horns even though they were invented in Germany), or trumpets. I decided to use trumpets as I liked the sound trumpet/oboe doubling each other and the violin better.

violin because, let's face it, almost every song Mitsuda does has a solo violin (Hurricane, the CC battle theme. Time's Scar, CC intro theme. Nocturne, a song off KiRite. The intro of CT has some violin, Chrono series also has lots of violin/viola pizzicato short phrases (Snake Remains Chamber from CC, Wind Scene from CT).

Double Bass pizzicato, as he uses that a lot especially in RD (the ending song for instance).

Shakers/maracas play a pretty well static beat throughout, just like Snake Remains Chamber.

Tambourine(or a jingle), that makes appearances in a lot of his works, such as Hurricane, the boss fight in RD.

Timpani, used in RD's boss fight

Bass drum and taiko drum, used in RD's boss fight, used in Hurricane, used in Snake Remains Chamber

Woodblock, used in hurricane

glocken/vibra/marimba etc   used in a lot of stuff, snake remains chamber, theme of crono, the 'music box' themes in RD and CC

I COULD have done something with nylon acoustic,  piano and choir, but decided against it. I felt there were already enough instruments. Mitsuda is a typically minimalist composers (uses the least amount of colors/instruments instead of always doing big full tutti orchestra).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:42:13 pm by chi_z »

Dice.

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Que Sera Sera
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:07:30 pm »
And I don't doubt you've listened/mixed/etc. to a lot of Mitsuda; as this sounds somewhat like him.  It is an excellent piece, even despite the aforementioned issues with it.  Keep up the good work though; you clearly have am ear for understanding and playing music. =)