Author Topic: Videogame HUDs? Your opinion...  (Read 831 times)

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
Videogame HUDs? Your opinion...
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:42:36 am »
So here's the deal, I'm currently working on the user interface for a videogame and wanted peoples opinions on things to do with the in game HUD. All I can tell you about the game is that it's a post-apocalyptic first person shooter.

I'd like to know how you's like the following things to be displayed to you when you're playing a game.

~HUD~
- Hit Points/Vitality
- Crosshair
- Stamina/Oxygen
- Radiation/Infection
- Alert message positioning
- Ammo and Grenades
- Radar/Compass
- Weapon Heat
- Experience Points and Levelling Up
- Scoring
- Player/Character Name
- Inventory/Status Screens
- Giant Freaking Laser Cannon Ammo (Because I said so!)
- ...And feel free to add anything you think is important, it all helps!

Not all are applicable to the game I'm working on this for but I'd still be interested in knowing. So please, take a moment to share your opinions and other such stuff, it will be much appreciated.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
Re: Videogame HUDs? Your opinion...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »
Metroid Prime's HUD's are awesome,imo.
Apart from those, I pretty much like Castlevania's HUD and metroid's.
Zelda's also good, but it annoys me when I have many hearts and may block some viewpoints

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »
A good course of action, if it's feasible, is to include everything and give the player the opportunity to toggle whatever they (don't) need. Many of the better HUDs I've used have had a number of customization options.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:33:52 am »
I've always thought HUDs, especially with the tech of today, should be fully customizable. If I want my health in the middle of the screen I should be able to put it there.

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:23:55 am »
Good input guys, I rather like the idea of having a fully customisable HUD in terms of toggling various elements on and off and positioning them (to a degree). For a while in one of my earlier designs for the HUD I had a radar that could be positioned wherever the player desired, but I scrapped the idea of the radar early on as it didn't fit in with the theme. I could however recycle this concept and the script behind it to create a fully customisable HUD system.

I also though of adding a couple of HUD variants, maybe I could have them unlockable similar to the window panel designs in Chrono Cross, but I don't know how far that idea will get.