Author Topic: Chrono Break - The Conceptual Soundtrack  (Read 11036 times)

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Chrono Break - The Conceptual Soundtrack
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:03:57 pm »
Project Site - currently offline
Chrono Break Conceptual Soundtrack

Archived .zip file - LINKS AVAILABLE AS OF: 01.16.2011
Host #1
Host #2

This project for Dream Splash III serves not only to produce a rough concept for what my vision of Chrono Break might be like, but also to promote one of the finest composers currently working in the field of video game music: Yasunori Mitsuda.

I find it alarming how many people--even fans of Mitsuda's work--are unaware of his post-Xenosaga output. The fact is, he has been an active composer for the last decade, yet few seem to have noticed. This project is a conceptual soundtrack for Chrono Break where I, serving as the "music director" for the fictional game, have selected compositions of Mitsuda's and matched them to a rough scenario draft. The scenario itself is presented entirely through a tracklist of an imaginary game music album.

None of the music sampled here is from Mitsuda's well-known work--i.e., Chrono, Xenogears, Xenosaga, or anything else from Square. I expect that most listeners will be unfamiliar with the source material. The origin of all tracks can be found in the files' audio tags.

There are 50 mp3 tracks around 30-50 seconds each, encoded at a low VBR. They are spread across four "discs"--none of which are complete. I leave it to the listeners to fill in the gaps. Originally I had intended to add character themes, but decided not to--again opting to leave it to the listener.

Furthermore, all Dream Splash III participants may use the scenario laid out here as a point of origin for their own projects. I think that most will find themselves particularly inspired by the music itself, even if the scenario concepts don't prove to be interesting.

Most importantly, since this project is mostly to promote Mitsuda's work, the majority of the music featured here can be purchased through the Procyon Store at Mitsuda's official web site. There are a number of other vendors from which to purchase the various soundtracks sampled here, so let me know if there's something in particular you are having trouble finding.

Enjoy the music!

------------------------------------
(tracklist reproduced below for archival purposes)

d i s c . o n e
01   Prelude
02   Main Theme ~Time's Healing~   
05   Choras
06   Fairground
07   World Map -1026 A.D.-
08   Thief Hidden in the Black Forest
09   Everyday Encounter -Battle Theme-
10   Gift of the Seasons -Victory Fanfare-
15   Seaside Village -Laikk-
16   Fiserhman's Paradise
17   Traversing the Eternal Sea
23   Defense of Zenan Bridge
24   Porre's Counterattack
25   Grand Cathedral Manoria
26   Back Into the Gate

d i s c . t w o
01   Valley of the Shadow Beasts
02   Risky Encounter -Boss Battle-
03   World Map -440 A.D.-
05   Beneath the Summer Canopy
06   Village in the Mountains -Randel-
08   Faris Passage
09   Grave of Heroes
11   Guardia Castle -714 A.D.-
18   Mining Village -Hiraat-
19   World Map -1300 A.D.-
20   Living in Paradise -Montegray-
21   Medina Stronghold
22   Theme of the Holy Land

d i s c . t h r e e
01   Beyond the Reach of Time
02   Ruins of Zeal -10,000 B.C.-
03   Serious Encounter -Battle Theme II-
04   The Black-Cloaked Man Approaches
05   Ancient Forest -140,000,000 B.C.-
07   Decisive Encounter -Boss Battle II-
09   Cave of Wonders
10   Village of Memories -Palodium-
11   Girl on the Beach
12   El Nido Archipelago
13   Trials of the Dragon Tower
14   Battle With the Ancient Dragon
15   Wings of Time -Corridor of Dragons-
16   Remnants of the Future
17   World Map -3045 A.D.-

d i s c . f o u r
01   Proto Dome -1999 A.D.-
02   Apocalypse
03   Will of the Entity
10   World Map -99,999 A.D.-
11   Desert of the Demon God
14   Sunken Labyrinth
16   World Incarnation
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:58:33 am by Jormungand »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Break - The Conceptual Soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:07:56 pm »
This is a kickass idea! Yeah, I know I need to catch up on my Mitsuda consumption. For my part, most of the games he's composed for since Xenosaga have flown under the radar for some reason. I was totally shocked to find out recently just how busy he's been.

EDIT: Ah, man, what a great listen this was. I gotta track all these down now. For my own purposes, I'm gonna make a list of the soundtracks you pulled from:

*Tsugunai: Atonement (OST known as "Ann Cinniuint" IIRC)
*KiRite (music/story project with Kato)
*Armodyne (was that a PSP or DS mech game?)
*Shadow Hearts I
*Shadow Hearts II (Jeez, the track used for the "Zeal Ruins" theme sounds like that's exactly what it should be, too)
*Seventh Seal (darn, never even heard of this! What is it, even? The music sounds great though!)
*Soma Bringer (DS action RPG -- released only in Japan, go figure)
*Inuyaza Eleven (a soccer anime!?)
*Legaia: Duel Saga

Am I missing any of the soundtracks you used? Man, I've got to check all these out. This was actually a really effective pitch for Mitsuda's recent work Jormungand.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:53:40 pm by FaustWolf »

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:18:28 pm »
*Armodyne (was that a PSP or DS mech game?)
Armodyne was a tactical RPG for the PS2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBwaVMUrMo

*Seventh Seal (darn, never even heard of this! What is it, even? The music sounds great though!)
It's a PC title released only in Asian territories (Taiwan in particular, I believe), and that's about all I know. Mitsuda did about 12 tracks for the game (the rest was by another composer). Sadly, not all the music from the game made it onto the OST, entitled "Sailing to the World". Mitsuda's contributions are seriously amazing, and even led to a piano album arranged by Masashi Hamauzu.
http://vgmdb.net/album/537
http://vgmdb.net/album/540

*Inuyaza Eleven (a soccer anime!?)
Actually, Inazuma Eleven started as a NDS RPG and has sparked somewhat of a phenomenon in Japan. The first game and its sequel have sold ridiculously well (considering this is an RPG based on soccer...), and a third game is already in the works. Here's a trailer for Inazuma Eleven 2, which features some great music. I expect a soundtrack to be released soon, and considering the series' popularity, I think we can probably expect a soundtrack for every game they release from now on. I just hope Mitsuda is forever retained as the series composer! ;)

Furthermore, the game led to an anime adaptation, which also marks Mitsuda's first foray into anime scoring. The score itself reuses many themes from the original Inazuma Eleven, arranged by Procyon Studio employees Mitsuhiro Ohta (for the more rock-based tracks) and Natsumi Kameoka (for the orchestral tracks).

Am I missing any of the soundtracks you used?
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (2006), PSP
World Destruction (2008), NDS--aka Sands of Destruction in N.A.
Arc Rise Fantasia (2009), Wii

Man, I've got to check all these out. This was actually a really effective pitch for Mitsuda's recent work Jormungand.
I'm glad you think so! That was totally the goal. :)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:27:59 pm »
Wow, Mitsuda's first anime gig, eh? Yeah, the soundtrack's really amazing. I looked up the name of the series expecting it to be this, epic medieval anime, and I was flabbergasted to find out it was about soccer of all things.

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:14:26 pm »
Awesome work! I'm a little dissapointed though 'cause the tracks are only ~1:00 long
Good work compiling though! ;)

PS: It seems someone ripped the music from The Seventh Seal (complete, with not-in-the-soundtrack songs XD), but I can't find it
=P
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:18:12 pm by MisterDarius »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:39:17 am »
It seems like both links are broken, sad I missed out. Does anyone still have a copy of this zip?

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »
It seems like both links are broken, sad I missed out. Does anyone still have a copy of this zip?

Seconding this.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:19:39 pm »
Sounds like a hefty, resounding NO.  :(

edit:

TA-DAAAA! Jormungand shows up!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:22:00 am by Mr Bekkler »

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 07:43:30 pm »
Oops. Yeah, sorry about that. My domain was literally stolen by go-daddy, so I'll need to get a different one. In the meantime, I will upload the .zip to a free service. Anyone have good suggestions? There's so many, but some have atrocious limits. If no one has a preference I'll just upload to some generic service.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 05:19:59 am »
Don't let anyone tell you that you don't kick ass, Jormungand. Because you kick ass.

I usually use megaupload because it's easy but I don't know what kind of file size we're looking at. I'd imagine anything you choose would be fine.

I hate go-daddy (I did before I read your post, but now more-so).

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 06:22:28 am »
Oops. Yeah, sorry about that. My domain was literally stolen by go-daddy, so I'll need to get a different one. In the meantime, I will upload the .zip to a free service. Anyone have good suggestions? There's so many, but some have atrocious limits. If no one has a preference I'll just upload to some generic service.
o_o I didn't know Go-Daddy would ever do that....

Anywhos, there are tons of services around! You can try Mediafire or Fileden. I personally use Cloud based, thus DropBox with 2GB free storage is awesome (or even Ubuntu One). Box.Net is good too, but I think they have some strict policies regarding copyrights, but it DOES have an interesting Web App for Google Chrome. Also, if you've got Opera browser, you don't need any of that; just keep Opera running and hand the link to yer mates.  :D So long as you're online, it works!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:23:59 am by tushantin »

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »
Well, I'm having issues with being blocked from uploading to any of the aforementioned services. This problem actually started months ago and I've never been able to figure out why. At first I assumed it was a firewall issue, but when I tried to upload with the firewall temporarily off, it still wouldn't work. All I can say is I hate wireless routers and have never had anything but bad luck with them.

So... maybe I'll go the Opera route. How does one set up filesharing via Opera?

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 12:25:29 am »
I have no idea, what about megauploads.com?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 02:20:19 am »
Guess not

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 05:03:15 am »
So... maybe I'll go the Opera route. How does one set up filesharing via Opera?
Whoops! Sorry for replying this late.

Anywhos, you CAN share files using Opera, but the thing is that the file's hosted directly from your computer. Which means you'll need to keep your PC on at all times in order to let people download it. If you have Opera 11, check the panel at the left. It should give you options like "Opera Unite" or "Filesharing" or something. After that, just read and click. Should be easy.  :D