Author Topic: Which version of Chrono Trigger should I play  (Read 1815 times)

CTSNESOrDS

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Which version of Chrono Trigger should I play
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:12:36 am »
Alrighty.  So I'm a big fan of CT and really like it.  That is... the SNES version.  Played it for years without any trouble.

Recently a friend of mine told me I should stick only to the DS version.  I told him the extra content didn't interest me, I don't care about Schala being Lavos's shoulder pad or whatever.

However, he said I should play for another reason.  He told me that the Ted Woolsey translations are terribly inaccurate and don't capture the original script (something about "cartridge space" and "rearranging stuff") and that the DS was translated accurately and that I'm not getting the "real Chrono Trigger story".

I myself don't care- I like the SNES and have played it for years.  It's just a game, it's not Shakespeare or the Bible.  Nevertheless, he keeps bugging me about it telling me that I'm playing the "wrong version."  Still, I have to admit he makes a good point.

What do you guys think?  Which version of CT should I play and stick with, and which one is "more accurate" to the "god-like original japanese translations an intentions." (to jokingly paraphrase my friend a bit)  Is the story really all that different in the DS?  It still seems like a ragtag group of strangers kicking ass, traveling through time and saving the planet in each version.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Which version of Chrono Trigger should I play
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:25:35 am »
I would say more accurate & the Chrono Trigger story more as the creators had originally envisioned before it had been initially localized by Woosley (who was under tremendous time, censorship, storage space, etc constraints). Though the CTDS translation is more accurate than the Woosley version, I would go with the Compendium's literal translation, myself.  If you really love Chrono Trigger and don't mind playing through it again you should definitely check out one of the other translations anyway and the added content in CTDS ain't too shabby either (moreso if you're a Chrono series fan or else just want to see more of the loose ends 'tied up'...though they aren't really...>_>)...

CTSNESOrDS

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:30:15 am »
Wait a second.... there's a Compendium translation?  Like a 3rd version by this site?  How's that even possible, didn't Squeenix shut down that one fan mod? (Echoes)

So why's there a 3rd version?  When/why was it made?  And what's different about it from the SNES and DS version?  And what are the pros and cons of it compared to the other two?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:13:40 am »
Well, there are actually 2 fan retranslations available. There's a 2nd one that was a fan localization by Doctor L based on the Compendium's retrans. Both were released far before the CE C&D (or CTDS for that matter) and are easy to find. I can't speak for Doctor L's version, but the Compendium's is the most literal, meaning that you experience it as is was intended but you'll also have to deal with some awkward wording because of it...It's really for the Chrono fans who want to see all the little things they missed out on. Little tid-bits like why Lucca only uses that gun once when (/if) she rescues Crono and even a foreshadow to Lucca's little robo from the FFC anime cutscene, among other things...Oh, and Frog doesn't mysteriously start using a weird pseudo-accent because of Magus' curse in any of them...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:02:48 am by V_Translanka »

CTSNESOrDS

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:20:42 pm »
Wait, why would the Compendium's translation be the most literal?  Was it based on the Japanese SNES or was it information the fans came up w/ on their own?  If it's their own stuff then it'd kind of be a fanfiction (like Crimson Echoes) but even if it follows the Japanese SNES as closely as possible, Squeenix's final translation for the DS would probably be the most accurate translation out there for the game.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:39:26 am »
The Compendium translation is a direct translation of the Japanese version. Why would CTDS be the most accurate? It's still a localization...>_>

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:54:27 pm »
The Compendium translation is a direct translation of the Japanese version. Why would CTDS be the most accurate? It's still a localization...>_>

Which in some cases works. Both versions are fantastic, but I preferred the DS version. Sometimes direct translations just don't come off as well. Localizations don't always mean censorship as some people tend to think. Sometimes the changes are cultural things, and serve as actual improvements. I highly enjoyed both, but consider the DS version the real deal.

That being said it was great seeing what the literal translation looked like. Props to everyone who worked so hard on them.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:52:14 pm by Phillies64 »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »
Wait, that reminds me...

Does the Japanese CTDS is the same as SNES (other than the added content), or was it changed in some way?

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 02:44:07 pm »
If I am not mistaken the English in Japanese CT is the same as the english in the Eur and US versions, but I may be mistaken

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 05:45:57 pm »
I meant the Japanese text. Now that I think of it, perhaps not, but who knows...?

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 10:50:09 pm »
The DS version is not superior to the snes version because it has downgraded sound quality. However it's much better than FFC, which was horrible in a technical viewpoint.

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 10:43:55 am »
I think that the DS version is the best version.

Not only is it's Translation superior to the SNES/PSOne Versions, but it also has extra content to help tie it closer to Chrono Cross. And it has all the extras added to the PSOne version without the slowdown.

Not to mention, It's on a handheld, so one can take it virtually everywhere with them. I'm the type of person that's on the go alot, so having a game from my favorite series on a handheld is quite convenient.

Thacrudd

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Where's the any key?!?
    • View Profile
    • SectorTEN - Stickers and Decals!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 11:37:07 am »
I preferred the dialogue from the SNES version. There are bits of it missing in the DS version. First one that comes to mind is when Melchior says "Wait, don't tell me. I don't think my heart can take it." after showing him the dreamstone (please correct me if needs be, it's been a while lol. The DS versions minor changes didn't appeal to me as much as the original. However, the SNES version has a large spot in my heart so i'm a little biased to begin with.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 08:37:03 pm »
V basically took the words from my mouth. It's not a drastically better version, but it has an updated script and new content. Any Chrono series fan should play it.