Author Topic: Big Surprise From Square Enix?  (Read 6241 times)

prism

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://wonderinaliceland.deviantart.com/
Re: Big Surprise From Square Enix?
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2010, 10:34:29 am »
I don't know about my socks, but something about this sure blows... 

That's not fair, though, maybe whatever this thing is will be good (maybe not warranting the hype, uh...).  Just obviously not what we wanted. 

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2010, 11:11:22 am »
AHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHA!!

The world's gone mad!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2010, 01:42:58 pm »
An alternate history/reality version of Japan could foster interest in Chrono, right? RIGHT??! V_V

prism

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://wonderinaliceland.deviantart.com/
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2010, 01:44:35 am »
An alternate history/reality version of Japan could foster interest in Chrono, right? RIGHT??! V_V

Maybe it'll be like Spore, and we can create an alternate Japan evolutionary track where Square still exists, but never paired with Enix and makes/translates all our favorite orphan franchises...  And then we all switch bodies with cat people and throw the entire time-space continuum down the proverbial tubes and discover through retroactive continuity that our unnatural hair color was not just a common trope of our genre but IN FACT a magical dye job and oh no I've gone cross-eyed-------

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 01:58:02 pm »
Maybe it'll be like Spore, and we can create an alternate Japan evolutionary track where Square still exists, but never paired with Enix and makes/translates all our favorite orphan franchises...  And then we all switch bodies with cat people and throw the entire time-space continuum down the proverbial tubes and discover through retroactive continuity that our unnatural hair color was not just a common trope of our genre but IN FACT a magical dye job and oh no I've gone cross-eyed-------

You have just become my favorite person on here. XD

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:36 am »

That my friend, deserves a high five!

ShinGundam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 10:58:47 pm »
 :picardno

Project X is Dungeon Siege 3 [SQEX + Obsidian + GPG collaboration]

http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/06/square-enix-announces-dungeon-siege-3.html

No more Japanese RPGs so far, they're too focused on western expansion lately.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 11:22:06 pm »
Great find. Jeez, it's really getting confusing, trying to sift through "this will knock your socks off!" and "Project X," this, and "secret announcement" that. Since Obsidian Entertainment is a Western developer, I suppose this is exactly what the Sonia Im tweet was about all along. Just a guess.

Given Obsidian's area of expertise, I wonder of Square Enix hasn't given Fortress (a rumored action sequel to Final Fantasy XII) to Obsidian. Ah! 'Twould be strange to rip the property from Matsuno like that, though, wouldn't it? Or perhaps Matsuno would still be brought on for some kind of scenario and world consulting. Since Square Enix already gave Fortress to a Swedish developer that went belly-up some time ago, this kind of property passing has already happened. Something similar has occurred with the Front Mission series IIRC. There's probably no info regarding Matsuno's relationship or lack thereof with the Swedish development studio assigned to Fortress, but it might be worth looking into for kicks.

Hmm! I wonder...if an established and successful Western studio were interested in developing a Chrono, would Square Enix assign that property to them?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:24:58 pm by FaustWolf »

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2010, 01:40:49 am »
Hmm! I wonder...if an established and successful Western studio were interested in developing a Chrono, would Square Enix assign that property to them?

That would be perilous, if none of the "dream team" were onboard for the project.  The last thing we want to see is something with the Chrono name attached that has little or nothing to do with the original story and characters.  I'd like to think that Square/Enix wouldn't risk it.

Of course, if the Compendium got together a bunch of artists, programmers, composers, and a $100 million dollar budget, that would be different.  8)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2010, 02:30:20 am »
Haha, yeah, it's the "$100 million budget" part, and an established reputation as a videogame development studio, that we're missing here. Presumably Kato and Mitsuda would have to be contracted by Square Enix, unless that's up to the development studio Square Enix would hypothetically outsource to.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:33:00 am by FaustWolf »

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2010, 05:44:19 pm »

The last thing we want to see is something with the Chrono name attached that has little or nothing to do with the original story and characters.  I'd like to think that Square/Enix wouldn't risk it.

I'm not a Cross hater by any means, but didn't this sort of happen already?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:02:23 pm by Phillies64 »

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2010, 05:05:35 pm »
Now that you mention it...  :(

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2010, 11:12:30 pm »

*Sigh* It can be dragged out and speculated about for as long as we continue to do so, but...

Until something substantial and verifiable can be provided, I personally have no reason to believe that this next big project is going to be anything Chrono related.