Author Topic: Big Surprise From Square Enix?  (Read 6399 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Big Surprise From Square Enix?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 05:30:16 am »
At this point, I'm almost willing to accept any decent jrpg that involves time travel...>_>

Oh? A JRPG, you say?

Actually, I should have just said RPG...I was really thinking turn-based.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:26:32 pm »

Or Secret of Mana: The Prequel.

On a side note: YAY!!  1000th post!  Harmonica Time!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:29:03 pm by GenesisOne »

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »
Aren't they the same thing, though, really? A sequel is a continuation of a storyline in one direction; a prequel is a continuation in the other direction. Both of them expand upon, or make changes to, our interpretation of the original work. If CT is a "complete" work and doesn't need a sequel, then it wouldn't need a prequel either, for the exact same reasons. In a principle a prequel can be even risky an addition to a series, because it interferes with our background profiles on the characters; it can change the value of their actions in the original work by establishing concrete and/or alternate explanations. (In a time travel series, this imbalance isn't present, 'cause sequels can become de facto prequels.)

I'm listening to the courtyard theme from Game Boy's original Mortal Kombat as I write this, and you have no idea how much I want to overturn the desk and break pottery...

I simply mean that we don't need a re-telling of the original game. The story and gameplay still hold up. I'd hope that any edition to the Chrono series has a unique story to tell. While I love Trigger, and enjoyed Cross, I don't feel we need more of the same.

I couldn't disagree more.  Although the original game remains one of the all time greats, as a storytelling device, it is still limited.  The characters are compelling, and the story can be expanded upon to create something truly special.  With the kind of production values S/E can put on a project, there is no reason to believe CT doesn't deserve a modern remake.  At this point, S/E would almost have to go this route if they intend to do anything with the franchise at all.  It's been 11 years since Chrono Cross, and the Chrono Trigger DS port doesn't really create the buzz needed to justify a true sequel.  But who is to say that a Chrono Trigger remake cannot be a sequel at the same time?  We are dealing with time-travel and alternate realities after all.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 03:16:41 pm »
I couldn't disagree more.  Although the original game remains one of the all time greats, as a storytelling device, it is still limited.  The characters are compelling, and the story can be expanded upon to create something truly special.  With the kind of production values S/E can put on a project, there is no reason to believe CT doesn't deserve a modern remake.  At this point, S/E would almost have to go this route if they intend to do anything with the franchise at all.  It's been 11 years since Chrono Cross, and the Chrono Trigger DS port doesn't really create the buzz needed to justify a true sequel.  But who is to say that a Chrono Trigger remake cannot be a sequel at the same time?  We are dealing with time-travel and alternate realities after all.

Put the game on the virtual console. Put Chrono Cross on the PSN. Then put out another Chrono game. It wouldn't be the first time Square came out with a sequel out of the blue. I personally don't need another remake. We've already had an SNES version, a PSX version, and a DS version. It's a game that still works. It doesn't need to be in 3D it works fine on the SNES engine. Why mess with something that's already considered one of the best RPGs of all time? I'm all for expanding the universe with a new story, but remaking a timeless classic? No thanks. I'd even take something like what they're doing with FF IV on the Wii.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 04:56:16 pm »
Oh? A JRPG, you say?

I laughed.  So much.

I vote this as one of the best posts I've ever read on this site.  I think it rivals "Lynx teh Frenchman" as my favourite post.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 05:50:37 pm »
Thank ye! It was either that, or "Indiana Josh and the Tea Party of Doom."

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 07:57:25 pm »
Thank ye! It was either that, or "Indiana Josh and the Tea Party of Doom."

While funny, your optional scenario title implies that somewhere there is a Tea Party that ISN'T "of Doom". :lol:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:03:23 pm by Mr Bekkler »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 12:04:49 am »

Put the game on the virtual console. Put Chrono Cross on the PSN. Then put out another Chrono game. It wouldn't be the first time Square came out with a sequel out of the blue. I personally don't need another remake. We've already had an SNES version, a PSX version, and a DS version. It's a game that still works. It doesn't need to be in 3D it works fine on the SNES engine. Why mess with something that's already considered one of the best RPGs of all time? I'm all for expanding the universe with a new story, but remaking a timeless classic? No thanks. I'd even take something like what they're doing with FF IV on the Wii.

So then a port is only good if it wasn't widely available in its original release (that FFIV sequel was originally on cell phones)? Also, while I can accept the DS one, the PSX was so blatantly just a port that you could even find the ROM itself on the CD. The minor additions given to the PSX port do not qualify calling it a new version, much less a remake. As for the DS version, I'd only go so far as to classify it as SE seems to of their GBA ports as they are 'enhanced ports'. I don't think 3D is necessary for CT to be good, but I think improved graphics would enhance the experience (and make it seem less dated to newer gamers). We already know that Toriyama's style works well outside of sprites...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 01:04:18 am »
Quote from: V
We already know that Toriyama's style works well outside of sprites...
Man, that brings back sweet, sweet memories of Dragon Quest VIII. That did work exceptionally well with the cell-shaded models. I just imagined Dhoulmagus was Magus, and the main dude was Crono (bandana off) or Serge (bandana on), and it was aaaaaalllll good.

Though, it would be my preference to put mysticalpha in charge of art direction for a 3Dish Chrono Trigger remake. I love how it's sort of ambiguous whether that Marle artwork is 2D or 3D. What a perfect bridge from the old to the new.

Square Enix did shock me with their sudden release of the iPhone game "Chaos Rings," which was literally announced in mid-March and released in mid-April with no warning to all except a small Facebook following and select review sites. Kind of brings a tear to my eye to see Square Enix developers interfacing directly with fans on Facebook. One has to wonder whether the Great C&D Debacle of 2009 would have even occurred if Chronopolitans had that kind of access to the Chrono development team.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:09:48 am by FaustWolf »

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 01:32:18 pm »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 09:09:44 pm »
Well, that's still pretty cool. 1) That game looks pretty sweet & 2) I didn't know Play Arts did much outside of Square. How are their figures in terms of quality anyway? I recall the first run of FFVII figures heads came off rather easily or something...or was that Play Arts back then...? w/e...

Dinos

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 02:11:59 am »
You gotta be kidding me :/  I hate square more and more every day.  The least they could've done was announce a remake for FF7  :(

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 02:53:13 am »
That's the Shinji Hashimoto surprise and not the Sonia Im surprise, though, right? Sonia Im's Tweet was reported on April 18, which is after the action figure announcement (April 7~8).

Interestingly, Level 5 just announced a "time traveling" game, but I'm sure it's unrelated. Level 5 is the company that developed Dragon Quest VIII, which was released under Square Enix's auspices. Has Level 5 done a whole lot for Square Enix since then?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:57:57 am by FaustWolf »

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:55 am »
That's the Shinji Hashimoto surprise and not the Sonia Im surprise, though, right? Sonia Im's Tweet was reported on April 18, which is after the action figure announcement (April 7~8).

Interestingly, Level 5 just announced a "time traveling" game, but I'm sure it's unrelated. Level 5 is the company that developed Dragon Quest VIII, which was released under Square Enix's auspices. Has Level 5 done a whole lot for Square Enix since then?

Ahh good catch. I figured it was the same thing, but you're right about the dates.

LancerEvo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 11:01:03 pm »

Yeah it's not what we think it is. It sounds like a fresh new title because as it states in the article "they hope it turns into a popular franchise", Chrono is already vastly popular so it's definitely not gonna be a new installment. Oh well...

But seriously, action figures of MGS? THAT was the big surprise? Lame...