Author Topic: Big Surprise From Square Enix?  (Read 6240 times)

LancerEvo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Big Surprise From Square Enix?
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:18:45 pm »
I came across this article earlier when I was on Google... check it out:

http://play.tm/news/29896/big-surprise-coming-from-square-enix/#comment-85f307516880d3c53215cef14fc96598

Shocked and stoked? Huh. Well, for me the only thing that would do something like that for me now is a new installment in our beloved Chrono series :D

It's not like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, or Secret of Mana have that much left to shock us with, right?

What do you guys think?

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
Re: Big Surprise From Square Enix?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:37:18 am »
I'm not holding my breath.  :roll:

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:51:21 am »
I don't know. I'd love it to be another Chrono game, but I'd put my money on another Kingdom Hearts game. At this point, KH is pure money for both Square Enix and Disney.

Who knows?

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:47:58 pm »
What Square Enix should do.

What Square Enix will probably actually do.

Not to get to off topic, but am I in the minority in that I don't want a Chrono Trigger remake? The game didn't age that badly, plus we have a DS version. I think it's just fine as is.

Now a sequel, prequel, or even just a game in the same universe? I'm all about that. Anything new from the Chrono verse would be nice.

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:48:08 pm »
I'm a sucker for Chrono Cross, so I hope it gets a remake. :(

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:02:24 pm »
I'm betting on a FFVII remake as I think that needs more of a remake than Chrono. It's quite clear that SE doesn't care about its fans or doing anything with the Chrono series, so I doubt this has anything to do with any new Chrono game.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:05:25 pm »
I'm betting on a FFVII remake as I think that needs more of a remake than Chrono. It's quite clear that SE doesn't care about its fans or doing anything with the Chrono series, so I doubt this has anything to do with any new Chrono game.

FFVII doesn't need a remake either. It's already on the PSN. I'll agree it didn't age as well as Chrono Trigger, but it doesn't need to be remade.

That being said, you're absolutely right about the annoucement regarding FF. That's thier cash cow. The Chrono series is sadly dead.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:57:18 pm by Phillies64 »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:17:21 pm »
Not to get to off topic, but am I in the minority in that I don't want a Chrono Trigger remake? The game didn't age that badly, plus we have a DS version. I think it's just fine as is.

Now a sequel, prequel, or even just a game in the same universe? I'm all about that. Anything new from the Chrono verse would be nice.

Aren't they the same thing, though, really? A sequel is a continuation of a storyline in one direction; a prequel is a continuation in the other direction. Both of them expand upon, or make changes to, our interpretation of the original work. If CT is a "complete" work and doesn't need a sequel, then it wouldn't need a prequel either, for the exact same reasons. In a principle a prequel can be even risky an addition to a series, because it interferes with our background profiles on the characters; it can change the value of their actions in the original work by establishing concrete and/or alternate explanations. (In a time travel series, this imbalance isn't present, 'cause sequels can become de facto prequels.)

I'm listening to the courtyard theme from Game Boy's original Mortal Kombat as I write this, and you have no idea how much I want to overturn the desk and break pottery...

LancerEvo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:46:47 pm »
I probably shouldn't hold my breath either, but I'm also gonna keep a small thread of hope just in case :)

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 10:02:34 pm »
Aren't they the same thing, though, really? A sequel is a continuation of a storyline in one direction; a prequel is a continuation in the other direction. Both of them expand upon, or make changes to, our interpretation of the original work. If CT is a "complete" work and doesn't need a sequel, then it wouldn't need a prequel either, for the exact same reasons. In a principle a prequel can be even risky an addition to a series, because it interferes with our background profiles on the characters; it can change the value of their actions in the original work by establishing concrete and/or alternate explanations. (In a time travel series, this imbalance isn't present, 'cause sequels can become de facto prequels.)

I'm listening to the courtyard theme from Game Boy's original Mortal Kombat as I write this, and you have no idea how much I want to overturn the desk and break pottery...

I simply mean that we don't need a re-telling of the original game. The story and gameplay still hold up. I'd hope that any edition to the Chrono series has a unique story to tell. While I love Trigger, and enjoyed Cross, I don't feel we need more of the same.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 12:55:12 am »
At this point, I'm almost willing to accept any decent jrpg that involves time travel...>_>

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:34:39 am »
At this point, I'm almost willing to accept any decent jrpg that involves time travel...>_>

Oh? A JRPG, you say?

~~~~~~~~~~

Lord J: Great Scot! We have to go back!

Marty McThought: Back? What do you mean, "back"?

Lord J: It's your church, Marty! Something's got to be done about your church!

Marty McThought: What, did it get voted off the island in this week's American Sacrament?

Lord J: My calculations show that, after a late-night tavern fight with with a Carthaginian vintner, your central religious figure ceased to exist in the year 17 AD! If I don't go back in time, your religion won't exist, your parents would never have met at church, and you wouldn't be born!!

Marty McThought: Oh, frak, Josh, this is heavy!

Lord J: Heavy! There you go again with the "heavy." I continually fail to see the relevance.

Marty McThought: What? Never mind. What are you going to do?!

Lord J: I am firmly of the opinion that if I want something done, I've got to do it myself! I'll warp in there, spend a couple of months talking about fish and leprosy with poor people, and warp back to Hill Valley in time for supper! Where's my suntan lotion?

Marty McThought: But what about the Crucifixion? And the resurrection! You've got to be there or it won't take!

Lord J: Luckily I still happen to own a rapid-biodegradable stunt double mannequin from the year 2037! I'll bribe the Romans with candy and have them crucify the mannequin instead of me.

Marty McThought: Candy?

Lord J: Can you imagine a world with no candy, Marty? It's like something out of Kafka, or Tolstoy, or my dentist. That's why I've never had to carry authentic currency! People in the past will do anything to get candy! Where's my toga?

Marty McThought: Jesus, Josh, my arm is turning transparent!

Lord J: Great Scott! Never mind the toga. Fear not, Marty! I'm on my way!

Marty McThought: But what are you going to do about the culture? You don't know the particulars! They'll never accept you!

Lord J: I don't need to be "one of the gang" to them, Marty. They only need to praise me as the Almighty Lord of Heaven. A pair of sunglasses, an iPod, some candy...they'll be bowing down faster than our beloved president in the company of our merciful and benevolent overseas creditors. And now, my semi-transparent friend, I must be off!

Marty McThought: Truly this was the son of God!

*press START to continue*

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 07:23:57 am »
Its the new Parasite Eve.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:38 am »