Author Topic: Chrono Shift General Progress Thread  (Read 83789 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Not so Secret... Chrono Shift
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 12:17:54 am »
I rather like how strictly stylized the concept art is. No wondering which characters are male and which are female, hee hee.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 12:21:17 am »
I rather like how strictly stylized the concept art is. No wondering which characters are male and which are female, hee hee.

I don't want any confusion on that front! Haha. At least not with the playable characters.

I should add Lance is consulting still, Chi-Z provided more music (along with some I found that will also be used), and TheMage is helping with maps. Don't ask them for spoilers! :-P

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 02:52:03 am »
I'm giving permission to use the teen sprites of my parents if desired.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 02:54:51 am »
I'm giving permission to use the teen sprites of my parents if desired.

Thank you! I will be taking advantage of those, they look great!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 04:11:34 am »
Here's some stuff I've been working on. I recolored Melchior for an alternate outfit, based on an unused single sprite in the Compendium.

And debuting, for the first time ever... Gaspar walking!

These are for my project but anyone can feel free to use them.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 01:36:45 am »
TheMage made a wonderful Overworld Map and I have the Overworld sprites done. Here's Norstein on Zeal, pre-float.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 10:20:38 pm »
Very exciting! I love the overworld sprite for Norstein and the sprites for the Guru's! Im glad the overworld map came out good! :mrgreen:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 07:52:07 pm »
Thanks!

Well, it's about time for a progress report:  all %s are approximates.

Maps - 10% (just started but working steady)
Main Walking Sprites - 100%
NPC Walking Sprites - 75%
Music - 95%
Battlesprites - 10% (these are hard!)
Monsters - 30%
Outline - 100%
Programming/Scripting - 5%

Demo will probably be available soon. I need to work a bit faster, and will need some help from Lance picking a good spot to end the demo.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:03:13 am by Mr Bekkler »

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Shift, an RPGMaker Chrono Prequel
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 01:18:49 pm »
Awesome. I'm looking forward to it.

If you need help coding scenes and whatnot, I'd love to help.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »
Great work with Gaspar's side walking sprites! Were you able to use another sprite as a base, or did you end up having to do them from scratch? In any case, the result is quite impressive.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 03:19:40 pm »
I did it entirely from scratch, selecting and moving pieces I wanted to keep on the side, like parts of his face and mustache, then planning out how his scepter would have to move, based on it's diagonal pattern, I thought a diagonal movement would look natural, then it was a matter of filling in the blanks.

I did it on the same spritesheet I'm using with Belthasar and Melchior on it, so I looked at theirs for reference so it would all match up. It's really similar to drawing on paper, trying to replicate a position or form from a photo without tracing. Just tinier. A great learning experience.

Lance, I probably will need a little help with a few parts of coding. I finally implemented a simple caterpillar script that works, but the order of the characters won't be able to change. We'll talk more over PM.

Since I haven't mentioned it yet, almost every sprite you see in this game is being edited and retouched and recolored to make sure the game takes advantage of the 244 more colors RPG Maker can handle per sprite than SNES could. This does not mean every sprite is a rainbow, but there is more diversity in race and clothing, most characters you're familiar with are going to look very different, due to the game taking place fifteen years in the "past" relative to 12,000BC. In other words, I want it to look like the parts of Chrono Trigger I liked (character design) and the parts of Chrono Cross I liked (color, Color, COLOR EVERYWHERE!)

Here are the main characters and the gurus as they will actually appear in-game. I was holding off on posting this one, but I'm proud of it, and it has the newest version of Norstein. The "new" chrono style sprites that you may not recognize at all come from an amalgam of Trigger and Dragon Quest 4 sprites(the DS version's spriting style was very similar to CT's, characters still designed by Akira Toriyama).

No questions about the old guy in the corner! Spoilz.

EDIT: I think I will get rid of the caterpillar system in exchange for a character swap system. It has more merits, to me, and fewer potential for bugs (like sprites walking behind your airship, etc)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:10:49 am by Mr Bekkler »

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 03:36:17 pm »
I actually had a party change system implemented along with the caterpillar system. It wasn't that hard to do.

The only problems  had were the cutscenes. It's hella hard with the CS in place. D:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 01:43:41 am »
So I made sprites for a pretty action-packed piece of animation, figured out how to implement it, and coded it into the game. Took about 4 hours in total, working with graphics made (mostly) from scratch. All-in-all, the animation itself takes about fifteen seconds. Luckily, it was one of the more complex concepts I've been trying to figure out and today I sat down and nailed it! I really hope people appreciate custom graphics, cause I'm not doing it for my health :lol:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 04:38:16 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RJrVLN7ZII it's just a part of the beginning of the game. But you can see progress is being made at least.

The window bust is the aforementioned animated scene that took me forever to get looking right.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:41:16 am by Mr Bekkler »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 08:14:48 am »
That is an AWESOME window bust.