Author Topic: Square Enix Hurting!  (Read 3258 times)

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
Re: Square Enix Hurting!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 09:43:34 am »
...what? My sanctuary of purity has been... HACKED? The thing that creates all that is good and pure in my world already full of darkness has been violated!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

*Pant, pant*

-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: *Looking for a happy place... happy place...*

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 12:29:51 pm »
Wow. You'd think that you didn't like it or something.

I doubt certain projects that they're already working on will flop, such as Tomb Raider, but Squeenix needs to listen more to the fans. Many people are talking about doing a remake of Final Fantasy VI, and if they did, I would absolutely love SE, and if they were to continue working on the Chrono series as well, words could not do justice to the elation I would feel.

But, as Mr. Bekkler has said, one needs money to make money. What they should do is dig into what they already have and update it, much as they did with games like Final Fantasy IV. It got revamped, given new a fresh new look and added elements of gameplay that make the game more enjoyable. They've got projects that have so much more potential now that there's new technology about; seriously, back in the good ol' nineties, would one have imagined something like seeing Final Fantasy IV basically becoming a Dreamcast-quality game on a handheld? There's so much that can be done for the other games to not only increase how enjoyable they are, but to also introduce others into the classics again. I say for them to redo a few things, and then work on the expansion of some of their works. For example, somewhere I remember someone mentioning how they should let Kato have another stab at Chrono Cross and work more of what he'd written into the game again, so that there would be so much less confusion, not to mention that it would be much better than the immense cramming down of things at the end.

redandblack64

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 03:24:26 pm »
I wonder how much the Chrono IP would go for? Could you imagine...a giant fan community donation drive? With a tracking thermometer on the site, Howard Dean style? "Just twenty million more to go, folks..."

Do you think that if Square went under, Nintendo would buy the Chrono IP and let Monolith Soft, Kato and Mitsuda take over the series? That would be for the best, I think, and would greatly increase the chances of Chrono Cross getting remade for the 3DS with the kinks ironed out. I'm actually hoping Square gets what they deserve... AFTER the FFV and VI enhanced remakes on the 3DS, which are inevitable.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 04:13:09 pm »
I would love to see another CT game, of course, but I think SE needs true visionaries. They are fast becoming completely irrelevant. They no longer have anything to bring to the table in terms of innovation of story, game design, or mechanics. I'm definitely not one of those snobbish Western RPG fans who thinks all JRPGs are stagnant, linear cash cows, but... well, SE has kind of been banking on stagnant, linear cash cows. Come on and innovate, SE! We know you're capable of it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:39:38 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 04:44:18 pm »
I don't know if someone posted this already, but apparently, not only Sony got hacked recently, it happened to SE too  http://www.rocketnews.com/2011/05/games-maker-square-enix-hacked/
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEITTT!

Considering today's security, I really wonder who these genii hackers are... I want their autographs!  :D Even if they live in their mother's basements.

Syna's right; if SquareEnix is to survive in today's age of dreamers, it better begin innovating! That said, if not games, I'm still a fan of its anime. Black Butler was GOOD! If only they could find writers and directors that good for games. That visual novel that came out recently seemed promising.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 08:10:11 pm »
Update from me. Here's charting the sales info of Square Enix over the past decade.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1168963p1.html

I wonder why SE's sales are so low in Asia? videogame piracy?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 10:24:08 pm »
There's probably some piracy loss. I suspect the biggest cause is that many SE games are not produced for release in Asia. Other possibilities include the reduced technological level and socioeconomic development of Asia (which means lower per capita purchase rates and (probably) lower profits on each unit sold), and lingering anti-Japanese sentiment.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 10:39:47 pm »
XD offtopic

I recall they released an official Chinese translation of FF XIII, the first attempt they did in this series. Before that, there were already some fan made subtitles. So many were curious, about how they would translate the names or would they 'borrow' ideas from fan translations.  When the official translation was released, I took a look at the character names, though I didn't play the game. They were not that bad, and no, SE didn't borrow ideas from fan translations. But when I came across Yun Fang's name, I found it was translated literally from the English term of fang, as if the character were a monster.  :P Also Shiva's name was taken directly from her(?) counterpart from Hindu mythology (with a god as its suffix), which made me wonder if they were serious.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 06:35:01 am »
Also Shiva's name was taken directly from her(?) counterpart from Hindu mythology (with a god as its suffix), which made me wonder if they were serious.
He. Lord Shiva. XD He was a badass! I still wonder why SE tried to make him feminine in all those games.

The Princess

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 11:10:17 pm »
im not really liking square anymore??? :kz

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 01:40:37 am »
Also Shiva's name was taken directly from her(?) counterpart from Hindu mythology (with a god as its suffix), which made me wonder if they were serious.
He. Lord Shiva. XD He was a badass! I still wonder why SE tried to make him feminine in all those games.

Well, that happens all the time. Not everything is taken fully... perhaps in this case it's only the name, just like how they name a sword Ragnarok and such. Sometimes the reference is there, and sometimes... it's just names and such.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 02:10:06 am »
Shiva. XD He was a badass! I still wonder why SE tried to make him feminine in all those games.

The name of Shiva had been debated during the years. Some said it should be given a more feminine name(transliteration, that is), while some argue about keeping the origin translation of the Hindu god(which doesn't sound quite right here). Though, no one knew square's original intension, maybe it was inspired by shiver considering Shiva uses ice element.  :P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:12:42 am by utunnels »