Author Topic: Springtime of Youth Explosion Ultra-Update!  (Read 7908 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Springtime of Youth Explosion Ultra-Update!
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:08 am »
Hey! Welcome to the Chrono Compendium Springtime of Youth EXPLOSION Ultra-Update! We're kicking off a surreal spring in style with a surge of activity and a bunch of fantastic translation news! Lance, creator of Chrono Alter, already blew the lid off the Chrono series in the year 2010, and now the Compendium's matching the passion! Be sure to grab and play Chrono Alter if you haven't already; download link is here. We've also got two mysterious special developments yet to come that'll be added to this update any day now, so hang tight! Now, let's kick reason to the curb and do the impossible!

[OFFICIAL NEWS]  Figures and gaffes!  [1]  Julford's given us a heads-up about Chrono Trigger figurines shown by Square Enix at the 2010 Toy Fair. Check out the coverage and image here. The pics can be cumbersome to save, so if you'd like a more convenient way, check out the page we set up for these goods here.  [2]  Bandai has apologized to Square Enix for lifting "Decisive Battle with Magus" and another Chrono Trigger theme for use in Super Robot Wars K. Their apology in Japanese is here, and you can hear the use of "Decisive Battle with Magus" here. Thanks to AcaciaSgt for this tip!  [3]  SuperAlan has made an incredible find! Bandai sold a 60-card Chrono Cross card game around the game's release in Japan, vended through Carddas machines. We've been able to get some pictures and an entry on the encyclopedia here. If you have any information, contribute at this thread.

[TRANSLATION]  We've got a flurry of excellent translation news!  [1]  GenesisOne enlisted the help of two fluent Japanese students to render the Gamest interviews in English. This coverage is special because they interviewed Kato, Mitsuda, and the actual programmers behind the battle system, graphics, and game, instead of the usual Dream Team! Since the translators don't have forum accounts, and because this couldn't have happened without GenesisOne, the bounty points (all 8000 of them) go to GenesisOne, the new Bounty King. Hail! Head to this page to read the interview!  [2]  Cherenkov's translation of Chrono Trigger Ultimania's opening comments set in rock-hard stone that the Entity is the planet. "On this day of destruction, at that very instant, the planet had a dream." Ha, if only this had been available in 2003! Or...2000, or 1995, yeah!  [3]  GlitterBerri finished translating the unique dialogue/captions in the V-Jump 2 CT screenshots; find the translated bits here. No real insights, but now we can rest safe. More to come from GlitterBerri!

[CRIMSON ECHOES]  The soul still burns!  [1]  NickyT is nearing completion on the Crimson Echoes Memorial optimized for DVD playback project. Follow the final progress here!  [2]  Crimson Echoes made a GamesRadar top ten list; specifically, games that shouldn't be (or shouldn't have been) given cease & desist orders. Check out the feature here!  [3]  The anniversary of the C&D is coming up in May. To celebrate the continued vibrancy of the Chrono community, we'll be starting this year's Dream Splash! on the anniversary date and closing the Spring's Gift Fan Art contest early. Mark it, and thank FaustWolf for the suggestion!

[CHRONO CROSS]  The Guru of Reason has been busy!  [1]  utunnels has been investigating level up stat bonuses in Chrono Cross; here is the result of his findings so far.  [2]  utunnels has created a Chrono Cross background viewer, complete with a save-to-PNG function. Find the download link and instructions for use here! You have to check this out!  [3]  ZMaine has encountered an odd Criosphinx bug with no fix, and is wondering if others have experienced it. Find the account here.

[FAN NEWS]  Lot of stuff going on!  [1]  The winner of the Winter's Fragments Fanfiction Contest is Katie Skyye, owed to a piece about Marcy that you can read here. Hail the new Poet of El Nido! This also means that the Spring's Gift Fan Art Contest is now in full swing! Check this thread for instructions and the topic.  [2]  oikusika has passed on news of an amazing hand-drawn flash cartoon of a Chrono Trigger battle, which you can find here. Impressive work!  [3]  chi_z is transcribing Chrono Trigger songs to guitar tab notation. While he's just begun, two works are ready for demoing; check them out here.  [4]  neo-fusion has scrapped Chrono Apocalypse as a Flash project and reinvented it as an RPGMaker project—Chrono Crystallis. Go show some support!  [5]  As a special fan art showing, we're linking to two pieces by a Japanese fan artist named 砂雲 whose work is hosted on Pixiv: [ Zeal - Kid ] These are breathtaking works, and enrich the community considerably. They've been archived in the Fan Art section.  [6]  Check the Other Remixes section of Music (Chrono Trigger), and you'll find a subsection entitled "Unknown" with eight remixes. These songs have been around since 2001, but the author's never been identified; they were part of a 12-track collection that also included some audio rips of the PSX cutscenes. Finding the author is worth 500 bounty points!

[FAN ART]  Starting things off is deserver with Layla, another adaptation sprite from his Wild-Armsesque crossover. Next is tushantin with an excellent Cedric Guardia, which I'll be sure to add to the crimsonechoes.com art page. Temporal Knight submitted a sort of-photomanip depicting Zeal here. mysticalpha's been busy; we've got more than just one new comic ready to roll thanks to his talents! [ Royal Steak - Friends - Goodnight - Bipolar ] We've also got six submissions from new forumer LordBlumiere; thanks! [ Chrono Trigger - Crossover Tiems - Chibi Schala and Janus - Magusru - Queen Kali and Schala Kinde - Day of Lavos comic - Crono 2010 - Marle 2010 - SovaL - Magus 2010 - Schala 2010 - Lavos Gjinka ] Last but not least, anonymouse has appeared out of retirement with a sketch of Schala and Kid. Thanks!

[FAN FICTION]  LordBlumiere starts things with a couple Chrono poems; she's looking for feedback, so check in and comment here. Next is alfadorredux, who's still updating Chrono Helix; check in on the adventure here! ZippDementia's also updated the long-running Chrono Break fanfic; find the update here. The third and final perpetual updater is GenesisOne, who's released a new episode of The Real World: CT here. PrincessSchalaZeal's begun a work drawing from Crimson Echoes named Crimson Cataclysm; find the first chapter here. Bigvinu has also worked on his Crimson Echoes spinoff fanfic, "Echoes of the Magi"; see the new chapter here. We have another rare treat: The Princess has written a bonus epilogue to Time Keeps on Slipping 2, which some heralded as the greatest fanfic of 2009; check it out here. Last but not least, Smokescale has released Chrono Variance, his Chrono fic written for NaNoWriMo; find it here and stop by for feedback!

Since this is such a Big Damn Update, we're going for broke and adding some surreal flavor. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/v/P6uKc6gAoK0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 http://www.youtube.com/v/_mJPx7r5Q6s&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 http://www.youtube.com/v/RHsaTlNctkA&ap=%2526fmt%3D18

http://www.youtube.com/v/EcibVAw4Vhk&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 http://www.youtube.com/v/uPmwNGksKuo&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 http://www.youtube.com/v/YmxJKhJGQwo&ap=%2526fmt%3D18

http://www.youtube.com/v/r2qPmr9zIAw&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1n7fItkY1E&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 http://www.youtube.com/v/Bb92p7teOH8&ap=%2526fmt%3D18[hidden]

[/hidden]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:17:42 pm by FaustWolf »

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
Re: Springtime of Youth Explosion Ultra-Update!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:28:59 am »
Woo! Dream Splash!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:42:02 am »
AWESOME!

Things are still busy and lots of stuff going on. Great stuff.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:55:39 pm »
The Chrono fan community once again triumphs through sheer creative vibrancy! I can't believe I'd somehow missed mysticalpha's excellent comics, his art is just fantastic.

The 2007 Dream Splash! is what finally kicked me into registering at the Compendium forums. For those unfamiliar with the Splash!, it's a creative extravaganza centered around a particular theme -- no prizes or competition, just a huge burst of fan creativity delivered in every conceivable medium. With the amount of creativity we've seen so far in 2010, it looks like this year's Splash! could be one for the history books!

Can't wait for the secret news items to hit!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:10:18 pm »
Hah. Over 3 days, and only 3 replies and 110 views. Thriving community, yeah.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:55:59 pm »
 :lol: Well, that is the difference between a collector and a tradesman.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 10:56:23 pm »
im in awe. maybe we're busy being passionate to care about the update. it would only slow us down.
or its just too awesome for words.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 11:03:11 pm »
we're busy

THIS :-) Don't worry though. We'll have some (more) REALLY nifty stuff soon.

Carnivol

• Iokan (+1)
  • Creative!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 12:39:22 pm »
[3]  GlitterBerri finished translating the unique dialogue/captions in the V-Jump 2 CT screenshots; find the translated bits here. No real insights, but now we can rest safe. More to come from GlitterBerri!

Yo! Know I've not made much noise here on the forums (if any at all), but seeing that quoted bit there + finally having had the chance to exchange a few words with GlitterBerri, I got reminded of a few things I'd almost forgotten about, so I started digging into my archive again. Not exactly found as spectacular as the Chrono Trigger Alpha Footage again, but for starters; Chrono Cross - V-Jump '99 Presentation. I've got some other things I believe I promised you ages ago... they're still on track! Promise! Maybe I'll even get things wrapped up this time around in a not all too distant future (but don't hold your breath or count the hours/days). :mrgreen:

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:42:53 pm »
Wow , I had fun reading "Marcy" by Katie Skyye Its fun fun fun !

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 02:48:33 am »
It is always so awesome that whenever I'm on hiatus from the board, there's epic stuff here when I come back.

*seriously drools at the pics of the CT toys from the toy fair* Wha...? They made poor Magus look dorky. >_<

And WHOA - there was a card game made of CC? That is totally epic. *wishes to find & own some*

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 03:51:01 am »

I don't know if my translation of the Gamest coverage is all that important.

I mean, didn't it set in stone the reason why CT was only 20-30 hours long as compared to traditional RPGs at the time that lasted at least 60-70 hours? (I believe it was the surplus graphic renderings to the NPCs and PCs both in and out of combat that took up so much space on the 32-bit RAM cartridge).

Anyways, that's I read it.