Poll

Or how hard should it be?

Current setting is fine, a new game+ is aimed at getting new endings after all.
13 (54.2%)
I'm bored, at least it should be as hard as a normal game.
3 (12.5%)
The beginning of a new game+ game should be as hard as the end of a normal game, a Beach Bum can kill Serge if he is careless.
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Should a new game+ game be harder?  (Read 8425 times)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Should a new game+ game be harder?
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:52:10 pm »
OK, you can discuss anything related in this topic, either Trigger or Cross.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:55:13 pm by utunnels »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Should a new game+ game be harder?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:19:24 pm »
I guess it would depend on the game system (enemies relatively level up with the player, or if enemies have fixed, static strengths that don't change). If enemies have fixed strengths, then a harder NG+ might be more fun, but I would leave it as an option. It's fun in some RPGs for me to use NG+ to 1-hit bosses and so on.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:40:59 pm »
Oh, relatively level up is an interesting idea, like FF8.
In Cross's case, there are many elements that you may not use during the whole game play, like magic/physical immune, element recharge, status change... maybe a harder gameplay can force the player to use them.

I was thinking about enhancing enemies according to how many stars you get. But what's point to get more stars if it becomes harder?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:57:25 pm »
You can do it yourself by un-equipping stuff...It's what I do in CC so that I can actually survive the tedium of NG+ runs...Time Shifter is what should definitely be in EVERY game that has a NG+ feature though. More games should incorporate things that are already emulator standards...

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:39:01 pm »
I say do it the way Golden Sun does. After you've beaten the game for the first time, you are presented with a few choices when you make a new game. First is Easy Mode, which is essentially NG+. You get all the levels, stats, and spells as your last save file. The second is Hard Mode. You start at level 1 again, but the monsters get a lot harder. It does lead to a few instances of grinding, but it makes the boss battles very exciting.

Meushell

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:36:36 am »
It'd be good to have a choice. It's pretty fun to go through with Beserkers and wipe most beasts out...even more so to do that with Lavos. :) However, it would be nice to make it harder without starting a new game or using weaker weapons. Actually, I think I'd want to make it so the enemies are harder, but the regular beasts are still easy.

I didn't vote in the poll because none of them really applied.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:06 am »
Perhaps instead of having the regular enemies be easy they could incorporate the Mother/Earthbound series' instant win easy battle mechanic (which I've always been amazed hasn't been stolen by every other RPG out there since)...

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:36:16 pm »
Quote from: V
Perhaps instead of having the regular enemies be easy they could incorporate the Mother/Earthbound series' instant win easy battle mechanic (which I've always been amazed hasn't been stolen by every other RPG out there since)...
Yeah, it is so unique. I don't recall any other RPG used that feature.
Though some Heroes of Might and Magic games allow auto-battle, but that is not the same thing.

I'm always thinking players should have more fun using elements, but when you have all kinds of strong elements, the game just begins to become too easy.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:31:04 am »
Voted for the first option, point being getting new endings.  If you are talking relative leveling - like everything around you levels as you level, I say "boo!" and with great force!  Sheeeeeit, at some point or not it feels good to mow folks over.  In a game with lots of endings, more than 3, it can be tedious to do the whoooooooooole thing over again.  And again.  etc etc etc But I do think that once or twice for a new ending is ok.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 03:46:16 pm »
Whenever I here new game+ it sounds like a new game where you still have all your stats and powers from the original saved file (which it is). Then there's hard/expert/elite mode etc. which is completely different. You are sent back to level one and all the enemies are ridiculously stronger. Now if combining the two is what Uttunels is getting at then that's kind of pointless because everything is balanced out again. The only difference between this new game and a regular one is that everyone immediately starts out with the ability to blow stuff up.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 04:03:29 pm »
i would like it if it were like ff8. the beasties at the beginning of the game werent still beginning of the game level beasties and the beasties at the end of the game would eat you no matter what.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 09:18:49 am »
Yeah, it seems like these should all be options that pop up at the  beginning like Active & Wait...Enemies that level & set enemy levels (Static & Set?)...Start with old stats & start fresh (New+ & New-?)...Or maybe a setting for some kind of New++ which would level enemies at some preset advantage (10+ your level or 2x your level or some such) and still allow for your old stats...*shrugs*
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:21:42 am by V_Translanka »

Dinos

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 03:51:25 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has wondered this

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 06:08:32 pm »
Interesting poll ! I choose harder because it could really add to the challenge ; CT has very few difficult bosses. This is element  that made Diablo II a successful game ( the possibility to restart with your current state in a much higher difficulty). I don't see why it couldn't work with jRPGs especially when you can max your character that much.

chapapote

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 03:00:08 pm »
Interesting poll ! I choose harder because it could really add to the challenge ; CT has very few difficult bosses. This is element  that made Diablo II a successful game ( the possibility to restart with your current state in a much higher difficulty). I don't see why it couldn't work with jRPGs especially when you can max your character that much.

This.

If enemies are harder, you should also been given the chance to get better equipment not available in the first playthrough, much like in the Diablo series.