Author Topic: Guide to building a sophisticated RPG  (Read 697 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Guide to building a sophisticated RPG
« on: February 16, 2010, 01:42:57 am »
This will be a tutorial covering a detailed strategy on how to implement an RPG the way you want it, instead of using the limitations that tools such as RPGMaker provide. I provide this to help you get on the right track. If you were to wanting to code an RPG in C or C++, you'd likely ask yourself "What do I start with?" I'm here to provide you with a series of tutorials in the hope that the Compendium takes advantage of it and hopefully soon, we will recognize the pitfalls of ROM hacking and RPGMaker and to set the limits to our games the way we want.

Luckily these days, a plethora of useful tools and libraries are provided to beginners. However, this tutorial assumes you have a fairly good amount of knowledge in C or C++. If not, CProgramming.com and CPlusPlus.com offer a wide variety of tutorials from absolute newbie to hardcore coders, as well as reference for C/C++'s default libraries. In this tutorial, I plan to teach you to write your own game using the Allegro gaming library, and utilizing Lua scripting to manage and manipulate your game's resources in a flexible manner.

More to come soon.