Author Topic: A proposition?  (Read 3592 times)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: A proposition?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 09:18:35 pm »
It doesn't matter either -- I really don't expect to see anything real come out of this discussion.

Nor do I, unless one of the other posters in this thread goes ahead with a solo project first--in which case anyone else who decides to contribute later on will be stuck with his/her/its choice of languages, even if that choice is Forth or MIPS assembler or Ook! .Net or something equally demented.

(Censoring the rest of the reply I considered because there's no point in starting a language war here--I've seen them before, and no one ever wins them.)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 10:13:06 pm »
I heard Lua 5.1 implements an incremental garbage collector. Before WoW Burning Crusade, WoW used Lua 5.0 and a lot of players were complaining of slow UI addons.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 06:02:24 am »
hmm.  I will be writing anything I am doing in C++.

Which is why I don't expect anything to start from this either.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 06:52:20 am »
Tomorrow I'll put up a link to prebuilts for Allegro that I'll upload to 4shared, for use with VC 2008

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 10:33:00 am »
It doesn't matter either -- I really don't expect to see anything real come out of this discussion.

Nor do I, unless one of the other posters in this thread goes ahead with a solo project first--in which case anyone else who decides to contribute later on will be stuck with his/her/its choice of languages, even if that choice is Forth or MIPS assembler or Ook! .Net or something equally demented.

(Censoring the rest of the reply I considered because there's no point in starting a language war here--I've seen them before, and no one ever wins them.)

*cough*

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 09:26:28 pm »
@Lance VII: Since you started work on your game long before this thread came into being, I don't think we need fear influencing you in any way whatsoever.  8)

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »
Alright, here's my compiled Allegro SDK, built with Visual C++ 9 (2008). All libraries have compiled statically with no debug info -- because who likes a bunch of DLLs anyway? Please be sure to use the most recent DirectX SDK, otherwise you cannot compile anything.

Comes with:

- LibPNG 1.4
- LibJPEG 8
- PhysicsFS 2
- LibFLAC 1.2.1
- ZLib 1.2.3
- LibOgg 1.1.4 (SSE2)
- LibVorbis 1.2.3 (SSE2)
- FreeType 2.3.12 (Multithreaded)
- Allegro 4.9.17 (includes all addon libraries)

Download (2.8 MB, took out Lua, see below): http://www.4shared.com/file/223064636/4f3f7dc5/allegro_4917_vc9.html

EDIT: Here's a useful package for scripting, again for VC9, static libraries, contains:

- Lua 5.1.4 (interpreter and bytecode compiler executables included)
- LuaBind 0.9 (multithreaded, this makes Lua embedding a ton easier!)
- Boost 1.42 (multithreaded, headers only, libraries unneeded, Luabind needs it)

Download (10.3 MB): http://www.4shared.com/file/221713239/7de40db0/luabind_09_vc9.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:29:24 am by Princess Schala Zeal »

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 02:58:22 pm »
Well, for my own purposes, I just finished writing the majority of an engine.  I am still lacking the Room Handler and Generator (stores / creates all the objects in a room), sound, and networking.  I am still contemplating how to do room handling.  the other 2 I just havent gotten into yet.

So I used what I had to write a "pong" style game.  Its very simple, no menus and such, nor a Win or Lose screen.

Currently, it is hardcoded for 30 frames per second and a 320 x 240 screen resolution, but that can be changed.

Anyways, written with Allegro, many thanks to the people there, but also means it *should* be compilable on other systems.  Compiled on Win 7.   Don't really intend on compiling on other systems (cmon, its a pong game.  Its not worth it)  but for later, final project, I will probably ask for others to help me compile on their systems.

simplepong.zip