Author Topic: A proposition?  (Read 3571 times)

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
A proposition?
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:42:10 pm »
Ok ... I have an idea...

My idea? Make Crimson Echoes a reality.

You guys surely still have the script and I know there is more than enough people on here willing to put down the talent and hard work. So why not break away from everything that relates it to Chrono Trigger and make a game? You could possibly get it released on a console if it was to turn out good enough.

Hell, I am just throwing it out there and it doesn't seem like a bad proposition to me.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: A proposition?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:34:48 am »
Making a decent game engine takes a good deal of work. Making all of the art resources needed for a complete game is several times more work.

Even with the talent here, it'd take years to make your proposition a reality. If you're willing, then by all means, start building the game engine and editing tools and making the art. Once that's done, we'll plug in the script and pull together some good music.

That's the realistic answer. Anyway, by all means, give it a shot.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:48:47 am »
I'm looking into Ruby 1.9 to mash together with C into a game toolkit. I heard RPGMaker XP and VX are notorious because of Ruby scripting, but I read 1.9 is an adoption of a more efficient processor made by third-party and runs faster. Version 1.9 came out just recently, RPGMXP/VX likely uses the older engine.

I'm doing some research about Ruby 1.9 being the logical choice. Ruby has a very simple C embed API, whereas Lua is already robust but has what Neo called "evil ass code." If Ruby 1.9 is faster a good deal, that will be my choice. I really don't want to bust my brain trying to tame Lua's beast of an embedding process when there's a simpler but just as good alternative.

See, with Ruby's embed process, it's simply initializing the engine, defining the stuff you need, and... that's it. After that, you fiddle around and then close the engine when your program exits.

Lua is a much tougher ordeal. You have to define stacks, metatables, tables, and push and pop data from the stacks by an integer index. It's a nightmare! Don't believe me? Read chapters 24-29 of http://lua.org/pil/ and pick a corner of the room to curl up an sob in.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:48:11 pm »
Making a decent game engine takes a good deal of work. Making all of the art resources needed for a complete game is several times more work.

Even with the talent here, it'd take years to make your proposition a reality. If you're willing, then by all means, start building the game engine and editing tools and making the art. Once that's done, we'll plug in the script and pull together some good music.

That's the realistic answer. Anyway, by all means, give it a shot.

Ugh... game engines... graphics engines....

I'm currently extremely pissed at Microsoft for their failure to make directx even logical, if not just understandable.  The directX functions in c++ are the dumbest pieces of code I think I've ever seen.  So many damn unneccesary complexities.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 08:05:06 pm »

I'm currently extremely pissed at Microsoft for their failure to make directx even logical, if not just understandable.  The directX functions in c++ are the dumbest pieces of code I think I've ever seen.  So many damn unneccesary complexities.

Do what I do then, and use a library that acts as a layer. Allegro ( alleg.sf.net ) is good for 2D and 3D to some extent, Version 5 is a rewrite that finally eliminates the Atari-ness of it. There's also OGRE ( ogre3d.org ) for 3D games/programs. They act as a simplified layer over DirectX and OpenGL.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 06:20:31 am »

I'm currently extremely pissed at Microsoft for their failure to make directx even logical, if not just understandable.  The directX functions in c++ are the dumbest pieces of code I think I've ever seen.  So many damn unneccesary complexities.

Do what I do then, and use a library that acts as a layer. Allegro ( alleg.sf.net ) is good for 2D and 3D to some extent, Version 5 is a rewrite that finally eliminates the Atari-ness of it. There's also OGRE ( ogre3d.org ) for 3D games/programs. They act as a simplified layer over DirectX and OpenGL.

Whats the difference in performance?  Minor? none?

hrmmm... wonder what Pixel used when he made Cave Story...

Well.... hmm.  Maybe.  Thanks for the info.

I'm going to be working on a platformer in the near-to-far future.  The only reason I haven't started now is because of DircetBitch and the fact I do not know any Winsock functions yet (yes, its going to be an online-capable platformer.  Got a problem? 2F***N bad)

Edit:  I really do want to learn some graphical form of directX though..

...not because I like directX, but because I want to write my own graphics library and engine, rather than using someone else's.  I mean, I could go as far as to disassemble directX and figure out how it works, and rewrite it to my own specifications... but thats just a little too far for me...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:25:52 pm by IAmSerge »

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 06:27:41 pm »
How the heck can you disassemble DirectX? It was written in C, which means it's pretty difficult to disassemble.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:21:35 pm »
How the heck can you disassemble DirectX? It was written in C, which means it's pretty difficult to disassemble.

Considering everything compiles into Binary, you can disassemble anything.  Assembly IS binary, in words.

If I were to disassemble (or more appropriately, decompile) anything from DirectX it would be to figure out how it reads and writes to the graphics card.  Or sound driver.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 02:55:34 am »
I've never really been into Game Development seeing as scripting has never been my forte. However, what I CAN do is give Crimson Echoes an outstanding finale where it left off: The reign of Cedric Guardia, a fearsome Arbiter of the Flame. And what I CAN do is still in development; an unofficial OVA of Crimson Echoes as an animated movie.  :lol:

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 10:42:30 am »
lol tushantin you are the man! What program are you using?

Oh and this was a proposition for the guys here.

Go contact EA with a script and the people you have here willing to do it. Hell, I can't do shit except animate lol.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 05:18:49 pm »
I'm going to try C# and XNA to see if this simplifies gaming. I carefully looked into XNA, and there's open source ports of it for Linux and Mac provided by Mono.Xna. The .NET 3.5 SP1 framework is needed for Windows, which people should have by default if they keep up-to-date. For the others, Mono is a good choice since it's pretty much the only .NET variant for non-Windows.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 05:37:07 pm »
C++ all the way

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 06:00:29 pm »
C++ all the way

It's just too burdenous for me... I'm liking C# more

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 06:13:22 pm »
C++ all the way

It's just too burdenous for me... I'm liking C# more

I would honestly go Python if I didn't fear that it was slower.

Which is an unbased fear, at minimum, because I really don't know.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 07:05:22 pm »
The question isn't whether Python is slower than C (it is, if I correctly recall the numbers in the last batch of benchmarks I looked at), but whether the slowdown involved is significant enough to matter and whether you're willing to embed a bit of C into the Python if you're faced with something time-critical that can't be handled any other way.

(I am allergic to C#, because I have yet to encounter a C# application that will actually run under Mono--Windows devs generally don't care about people running other systems, and no one else seems to be interested in using C#. Screw that. There are dozens of other languages out there that don't have that problem.)