Author Topic: You've lost everything.  (Read 15299 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: You've lost everything.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 03:01:09 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if every SE employee were a scientologist. They go hand in hand.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 01:02:36 pm »
I'm not defending SE by any means, but to paint them as some evil company plotting to ruin fanboys' dreams is just silly.

Obviously, Square could've taken the high road and embraced the project, but they didn't. Does it suck? Absolutely. Big time, but Crimson Echoes was a huge project that was well known in a lot of circles. As soon as SE heard about it, they shut it down. They weren't looming in the shadows waiting for the right moment. CE was using Square's intellectual property without permission, and it was going to be distributed to the masses. Is it really a surprise that Square wanted to shut them down? It wasn't just a simple fan project. It was a rom hack. To even get the hack, most people would download the illegal rom of the original game. Square naturally saw this as a problem and shut it down. I think 90% of companies wouldn've done the same. If this was an original creation things might've been different, but it was a hack of a rom that in most cases (I'm talking about potential players here, not the creators of CE) would've been obtained illegally.

Now I'm not defending Square, as much as stating the obvious. I am going to defend the creators of CE though. They took time out of their own lives to create this project without getting anything in return. When a company throws a C & D at them, why should they try and fight it? Why should they waste more time, money, and effort? Not to mention the fact that their efforts may be futile. Again CE was made from a rom hack. People downloading CE were technically downloading a version of the original CT rom. CE was technically distributing an illegal copy of CT. Who knows how this would've turned out in court?

CE was a great project. I would've loved to have played it. I really enjoyed the youtube videos. It looked like an amazing game. That being said, it really bothers me when people feel they were entitled to it, or entitled for the CE team to fight for it. I hate when people act like it's so easy to stand up and fight a huge company, especially in these whacky circumstances. Trials cost time and money, even when you win.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:54:36 pm by Phillies64 »

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 07:48:16 pm »
I hope that you guys have confirmed that the C&D letter was in fact legitimate. This comment on one of the CEmemorial videos caught my attention:

That Cease and Desist order is fake. It's signed "square enix legal department". C&D orders are signed with a real persons name; usually the lawyer representing the company, or an officials name and their rank or position in the company. The Crimson Echoes team is gullible and was tricked. If you call the number on the C&D order 310-846-0400, and ask them if it's true, they won't know what you're talking about. They never sent it. Zeality is freaked out by 1 fake letter.

It'd be a shame if all this trouble and derailment of fan projects was caused by an epic trolling.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 08:23:24 pm »
No, we confirmed by calling and examining the PDF's meta-data. It all checked out. That fucker can blow a dick.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 08:38:57 pm »
No, we confirmed by calling and examining the PDF's meta-data. It all checked out. That fucker can blow a dick.

alright. dont take it as me trying to stir up any drama (ive accidentally done that before), I just wasn't sure if it was confirmed real. I hadn't noticed a confirmation in looking over the huge threads about it, but then I found it unwieldy to read everything.

I offer my utmost condolences for all this. It is sisyphean to lose such a work of art to corporate fucktards.

But this has been thoroughly discussed, so I'll say no more on this.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 08:48:51 pm »
Chrono Trigger 2: Time's Eclipse approaches, if it's any constellation.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:27 pm »
xcalibur, you can read our transcript of the radio interview with Agent 12 for the most comprehensive account of how it all went down.

BTW, anyone know where Meteor Radio's gone since then? That was an awesome show they had on, and it's too bad you probably have to be in Louisiana to listen to it IIRC. I hope they're still around -- the weblink's broken for me now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:27:07 pm by FaustWolf »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 01:06:11 am »
The link to Meteor Radio is dead. Is there a back up of it anywhere?

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 12:48:28 am »
Once again I feel the need to bark. Fuck square. You are loosing NO money by throwing your letter at us, WE are keeping the chrono community alive and you should have released a new game. How about Radical Dreamers? Its in english, it would cost you almost no money at all to release to America 'officially.' when you complain about copyright and money loss for something you will not sell, you are not loosing any money.

Suck my balls Square. Both of em, at the same time, in your mouth, start suckin.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 01:15:17 am »
Radical Dreamers has no official English translation. There's a fan translation, and even if SE wanted to release RD officially overseas, they wouldn't use that one. Besides, the actual reason we never got RD was because Kato himself was unsatisfied with it. He choose to not include it in the PSX and DS ports, even when it was Square itself who wanted to include it. And to wit, Cross itself was a re-do of RD for him.

Really now, you can't go blaming Square Soft/Enix for everything that happens that you don't happen to like...

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 04:20:25 am »
you sure like to debate don'tcha? Join me in giving two middle fingers to Square just for being the way they are.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 04:23:30 am »
It's not a debate, it's more of a correction. If you want to dislike SE, you're free to do so.

Just... do it over things that are actually true.