Author Topic: Avatar's 'Eywa' a Benevolent Lavos?  (Read 1522 times)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
Avatar's 'Eywa' a Benevolent Lavos?
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:54:14 am »
Ok, so I've only watched Avatar twice, but that's a good thing, since the first time I was so overwhelmed by the movie's sheer awesomeness that I forgot some things, didn't think too deeply about others...etcetera. I really freaking love the movie, while acknowledging its faults. This is not, however, an Avatar fan-fest. This is the Analysis forum, so here's a Real-World/Pandoran connection with the Chrono Series.

Eywa. The Na'vi. The Tree of Souls. The big...cougar thing (Thanator). Even those little dog monsters that attack Jake Sully on his first night alone on Pandora. They are all connected to Eywa, and, basically, so is everything on the planet. The Na'vi can plug into the trees, the Toruk and Ikran, the Thanator, and probably everything else on Pandora, considering they all have Queues (their tentacle/braids). How could such a diverse and often hostile group of beings have evolved--and still be connected to Eywa? After all, it's not like a Na'vi would ever normally approach a Thanator. Somehow, the Na'vi and all life on Pandora evolved to be connected, and to nurture the planet.

Completely opposite of Lavos, who wants to devour the planet, ne? Not quite.

Lavos, after crash-landing, influenced human evolution through the Frozen Flame, harvesting DNA and basically creating a new species. Its ultimate goal was to become ultra-powerful and spawn while eradicating the earth (perhaps unintentionally, but...who knows?).

Eywa, on the other hand, is improbable. Life diversified so much on Pandora, yet all species retained a way to form a connection not only with Eywa, but with the Na'vi?! Some of those critters EAT the Na'vi! I would hypothesize that Eywa, being a godlike presence on Pandora, somehow guided the evolution of all life on the planet--but not, as in Lavos' case, to further its own power, but to create and maintain balance. Sure, it's playing God, but, well, it IS God(ess).

So Eywa is a sort of alternate, benevolent Lavos, as it says in the title...though she is native to Pandora. Probably.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I completely off my rocker here?

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
Re: Avatar's 'Eywa' a Benevolent Lavos?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:43:04 pm »
Yes and no.
Because, as far as we know, Eywa can be just a mystical, ethereal, non physical being, while Lavos was very very real