Author Topic: The Criosphinx's Riddles  (Read 17056 times)

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: The Criosphinx's Riddles
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2010, 04:26:47 am »
A sheik announced that a race would decide which of his two sons would inherit all his wealth. The sons were to ride their camels to a certain distant city. The son whose camel reached the city last would be given all the sheik's wealth. The two sons set out on the journey. After severals days of aimless wandering, they met and agreed to seek the advice of a wiseman. After listening to the wiseman's advice, the two sons rode the camels as quickly as possible to the designated city. What was it that the wiseman told the two sons? They did not agree to split the wealth, and their father's decree would be followed.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2010, 05:45:28 am »
Both reach the city at the same time? Both reach the city never/Forfeit the wealth? They'd never know if the other one had arrived if they didn't wait just outside the city? 'Time is money'? They'd each waste their lives waiting if the other never arrived? They should each force the other into the city? Something that convinced them to not take the wealth? Switch camels?

Dunno. They're in equilibrium, so either they collude to each get half or none of the wealth or there's some trick. I think it'd be too assumptuous to say they can collude, so it must be a trick in the words, since I can only presume they're playing perfectly and so the advice can't benefit one more than the other.

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2010, 05:49:59 am »
Both reach the city at the same time? Both reach the city never/Forfeit the wealth? They'd never know if the other one had arrived if they didn't wait just outside the city? 'Time is money'? They'd each waste their lives waiting if the other never arrived? They should each force the other into the city? Something that convinced them to not take the wealth? Switch camels?

Dunno. They're in equilibrium, so either they collude to each get half or none of the wealth or there's some trick. I think it'd be too assumptuous to say they can collude, so it must be a trick in the words, since I can only presume they're playing perfectly and so the advice can't benefit one more than the other.

yep, switched camels.  nice!!

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2010, 06:42:07 am »
In which case the riddle should have started, "Ignoring game theory..." =P

Edit: To help with my riddle: It's a two-word alliterative phrase. And to help even more: Both words start with 'c'.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:56:23 pm by MsBlack »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:11 pm »
I am cheating (i didn't come up with these), but here's a few:

For GenOne:
What gets wet while drying?

This one reminds me of Shee:
I have a little house in which I live all alone. It has no doors or windows, and if I want to leave I must break through the wall. What am I?

And in the spirit of the Most Fiendish Riddle (that's a clue btw, the riddle is not anything like LordJ's and probably much easier):
It's been around for millions of years, but it's no more than a month old. Obviously, it's...

And to attempt Thought's most recent riddle, is it a guillotine? Long shot, i know.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2010, 11:11:59 pm »
Quote from: M.Beckler
And in the spirit of the Most Fiendish Riddle (that's a clue btw, the riddle is not anything like LordJ's and probably much easier):
It's been around for millions of years, but it's no more than a month old. Obviously, it's...

The Gates, naturally.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2010, 11:21:23 pm »
Following the Most Fiendish Riddle, here's one that's hopefully just as Fiendish.

Brightest light in deepest dark,
Broken white and secret art,
My chambered heart a vacant home,
My walls the stock and crop of form.

Since no one's having any luck (or no one saw it), a couple clues: It's from Chrono Trigger, it's an object, and use a dictionary/thesaurus.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2010, 01:23:06 am »
Following the Most Fiendish Riddle, here's one that's hopefully just as Fiendish.

Brightest light in deepest dark,
Broken white and secret art,
My chambered heart a vacant home,
My walls the stock and crop of form.

Since no one's having any luck (or no one saw it), a couple clues: It's from Chrono Trigger, it's an object, and use a dictionary/thesaurus.

Rainbow Shell.  :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:45:52 am by Sajainta »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2010, 01:42:43 am »
Sajainta wins! Perhaps I shall have another hopefully fiendish riddle later on. The way she breezed through it, it must have been the easiestthing in the world!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2010, 02:01:40 am »
This one's really simple.

Steal the light that I will, my will
What thou cannot break with swords.
Bindth thee my arms await
To dream what my fellows dream.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2010, 06:03:54 am »

Da Moon!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2010, 11:46:12 am »

Da Moon!

Correction: The PHASE of the Moon!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2010, 12:13:41 pm »
For GenOne:
What gets wet while drying?

A towel.

This one reminds me of Shee:
I have a little house in which I live all alone. It has no doors or windows, and if I want to leave I must break through the wall. What am I?

Oh that is too much of a hint! A chick! (or really any creature that hatches from an egg).

And to attempt Thought's most recent riddle, is it a guillotine? Long shot, i know.

Nope. To give another hint, if hint you want: each line refers to something fundamentally different than the others.

Da Moon!

I must disagree, "The Moon" is a better answer since any given phase lasts for significantly less than a month, and the pun regarding the new moon phase is sweeter that way.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2010, 12:30:48 pm »

Da Moon!

I must disagree, "The Moon" is a better answer since any given phase lasts for significantly less than a month, and the pun regarding the new moon phase is sweeter that way.

"The Moon" is not correct. The moon is older than a month. The phase of them moon, however, is not...and yet it's also far older. Periodic quantities, unlike linear ones, can be said to have two kinds of "age": both absolute and cyclical. You do have a point that "the phase of the moon" is far less than a month, but the riddler only specified that the quantity not be more than a month, and so my answer is still technically correct. Put that in your Funk & Wagnalls, oh ho hoh!  :why

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2010, 01:47:13 pm »
If you pull the 'different senses' card: The moon is reborn every month. If you pull the pedantic card, I'll pull the Mathematician's Monocle Card: Moon cycles need not be the same, just as no two years need be of the same length.