Author Topic: Really Silly Questions  (Read 1255 times)

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
Really Silly Questions
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:56:15 am »
What do you suppose exactly is Marle's "Aura" technique and why does she know it?

It's a physical healing technique, but unlike the other similar healing techniques, it is more vague than the others.  More importantly, Marle is a normal human being and would not have access to a supernatural ability to heal, and she doesn't exactly have the type of personality that would lead her to consciously developing healing powers.

In any case, from the animation, Aura seems like an energy transference of some sort, but clearly, Marle does not know magic at the beginning of the game, and Chrono Trigger makes it clear that Marle is not related to any of the natural magic using characters.  Would Schala's pendant carry some residual unlocking potential to allow Marle to heal?  If the expression of her healing potential were innate, is it a Guardia family secret?  If it's a result of some training, why have no other non-playable characters demonstrated this ability?

Edit:  I realize this probably was the wrong forum for this discussion, as I see similar topics discussed in detail in another forum.  I'm sorry everyone.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:30:39 pm by Nangbaby »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Really Silly Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:21:53 am »
You can treat it as some "Chi" energy.
However, VG characters do some moves that we can in real life. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish magic and tech. For example in KoF series Kyo's skills have burning effect. Lee from Last Blade 2 can heal himself in horse riding stance... blahblah

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:18:27 am »
Marle is a devout christian and spirit healer, heathen.

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:02:01 pm »
Yeah I'm aware that gameplay mechanics rarely up with reality in video games, but one of the most important aspects of Chrono Trigger from both a storyline and gameplay mechanic is that while humans can train themselves to do unfathomable physical feats, directly manipulating the elemental energies to heal or harm is simply outside the capacity of humans from 1000 AD.  While Crono and Lucca have unrealistic techniques as well, you can at least handwave it away as years of devotion to swordplay and technology respectively, and that more of their outrageous non-magical techniques come after their magical abilities have been unlocked.  It's always bugged me that Marle has this inherent ability to cure without any explanation of how or why, especially when it's revealed later that "magic" as we know it isn't a possible source.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 01:20:21 pm »
It's the pendant. It still has some of Schala's magic on it.

Case closed. It was meteors.

Cherenkov

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:41:45 am »
I don't think it is such a silly question, at least because I pondered the exact same thing myself.  I agree with Nangbaby's assessments about all pre-magic abilities being either physical feats or technology.  I can only think of two possibilities.  One being the already mentioned magical Pendant doing the healing.  The other one does not jive with the graphics in game, but realistically might be some form of first aid?  Marle might have learned first aid in the castle just like she learned archery (self-defense and self-aid).  Remember, the Chrono world's first aid might be faster and more effective than real-life first aid, seeing as how they have potions (tonics) and what not.  But if you want a realistic answer that goes exactly along with the game graphics, I'd go with the Pendant preforming a magic spell.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 03:59:44 am »

I don't think it's a silly question.

I find it to be a very relevant question.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 06:17:46 pm »
 The way I took it, Marle is supposed to resemble something along the lines of "beauty" (at least if you don't listen to her talk for half an hour). Apparently, looking at her makes you feel better. There's a reason she stops using the spell much after getting her better cure spells, and it's not cause it went obsolete.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:21:07 pm »
I think it has to do with the royal family, and special training. Perhaps it's an innate healing Guardian gift passed down in the females of the family, that drains the chi or life force of the healer. It would explain why her mother is dead/missing, why they're so mad when she runs away, and intense mental conditioning/brainwashing in the castle would be decent motivation for her to want to leave and have a "normal" life. If she had to run away just to visit a festival, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Even if these ideas are proven bunk, they'd still make for a far more interesting (albeit fanfic-y) Marle backstory.

It's a great question, Nang, and one worth discussing.

Aside from that, I've always assumed that the Guardian family line was an extension of the Zeal family line and that Ayla was a direct ancestor of Zeal, and that Doan was somehow related to Marle down the line as well, but that may have just been my 3rd grade 1995 mind assuming that because they're in charge, they must have other things in common. Other than Marle having that pendant, are there any other hints that any of them are related at all? If so, it may have something to do with the blood.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:27:25 pm »
I think of Aura as more of a "moral booster" than something involving any significant magic. If you've ever known someone really sweet, kind, or fun to be with, you know they make you feel better in almost any situation.

Or it's like Ayla's kiss "spell", but with body heat instead of mouth fluids.

I'd say the pendant could have something to do with it, but I'm pretty sure Crono held the pendant for most of the game.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 06:00:14 pm »
They all have Magic within them. Spekkio just unlocks it. Aura & Slash (Lucca's pre-Spekkio Techs seem more technologically based) are them drawing out small amounts of that inner strength (call it Chi or MP, it comes down to the same)...