Author Topic: What are you afraid of?  (Read 1856 times)

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
What are you afraid of?
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:15:15 am »
As humans we deal with many things everyday. Fear is one of those things. We all have something that we are afraid of.

I myself am afraid of heights and driving scares me too. I also don't like big crowded places with lots of people.

Echo

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Time marches on, but the clocks are broken
    • View Profile
Re: What are you afraid of?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 08:20:54 am »
Heights, I guess, and darkness. I can't stand utter darkness. Not that I start crying about possible monsters hiding in the closet or whatever, I just feel uncomfortable.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:55:43 am »
i get unnerved by the sound of my house, especially from my room. my room is right near our heating system, so i can hear every groan, every wail, every sound it makes. i get freaked out by wind rattling my windows and by the occasional groan of the stairs.
but if theres one thing im afraid of more than the sounds the house makes, its soundlessness.
without some kind of noise, whether it be stairs or laughter or anything, i tend to lay in bed staring up at the ceiling with my thoughts and heart racing. it brings up this kind of paranoia or something and i need something. anything. usually i just hit the radio button on my alarm clock and fall asleep to the sound of static or the occasional talking head. sometimes i whistle. it depends on my mood.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:11:12 pm »
The Uncanny Valley. I don't know about others, but I think I might be evolutionarily wired to be disturbed by images like this. I mean, if you're a dude in Africa or South Central Asia circa 40,000BC and you see a twisted human body, that's a major clue to leave the area. Having these images in one's mind might still trigger the fight-or-flight response physiologically.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 02:25:27 pm »
I have relatively good self-control around violence or gore. I love hiking in back hills at night, and for the most part I never get afraid of much save the ocean and lakes. I have just always had a case of hydrophobia. I can go for a jolly good wade but there is an instant terror the second my head gets submerged. Learning to swim, which is one of my personal achievements, took forever and my skill has probably atrophied beyond use. Several times have I needed to have been pulled out of a pool because someone dunked my head then I seize up not moving.

Scariest shit I will ever know.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 04:40:16 pm »
Near-drowning-experiences are effing scary, I'll add that to mine too. I am quite the land lubber nowadays.

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 04:58:36 pm »
I'm also scared of clowns and mimes(especially mimes).

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 05:09:15 pm »
Oh god me too. I HATE going under the water, I've avoided doing it for years.

I hate being on my own in the dark, scares me. I'm afraid of heights as well, and what people think of me, and scary movies.
Annnnd above all else I fear losing family or friends.

...I'm afraid of a lot.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:28:56 pm »
Huh, interesting. Can't say I am afraid of heights. Falling from them, on the other hand...

Generally what makes me afraid is an impending doom from the unknown, which tends to be why suspense movies get my heart going far more than standard horror.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 08:37:47 pm »
I'm afraid of heights, and drowning. Good thing there is neither nearby (well, there is, but somewhat far away for me to care, I hope so).

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:43:52 pm »
I'm afraid of a lot of things.

-  People.  I both abhor and am terrified of people as a collective whole.
-  Losing people I love.
-  Others thinking poorly of me.
-  Mummies, but only mummies that are wrapped up.  I have no issue with frozen mummies or mummies from bogs.  But Egyptian mummies?  Ugh.  I'm terrified of them.
-  Spiders.
-  Wide open spaces.
-  High ceilings.
-  Hangers.
-  Talking on the phone.
-  Asphyxiation.
-  Being somehow fused with metal.  I know the concept sounds awesome to a lot of people, but it absolutely terrifies me.

I'm a bundle of nerves, really.  Jumpy, skittish, really anxious all the time.  It's kind of lame.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 10:46:27 pm »
Aging? Death?
Or maybe not, I'm just afraid of losing my current self, what I'm currently working on will become meaningless one day.

But I don't think I've met something I'm really afraid of in real life -- never got caught between life and death. :lol:

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 12:32:39 am »
I try not to be afraid. With that kind of power I could do so much. I guess the few things I'm afraid of are horror films, but I don't really care seeing how it's my choise to watch them or not.

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 06:19:27 am »
I forgot to mention my fear of airplanes.
I'm also afraid of being alone, which is weird since I don't like to be around people.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 07:18:41 am »
I forgot to mention my fear of airplanes.
I'm also afraid of being alone, which is weird since I don't like to be around people.
by not being around people, are you truly alone? (in the sense of the word yes but not always)
as for my fears, i feel that i am afraid of potential fire. the smell of anything burning (except leaves), smoke, anything like that. i routinely check the heating vent in my room just to keep it out. i stopped using our toaster oven because of this.